The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone looking to do a Century Ride in GA but don't have access to an older horse?

I know there have to be some older riders in Georgia who would like to do a Century Ride but only have access to younger horses. I'd like to offer the opportunity for someone to do a Century Ride on my mare, Switch. Switch is a Thoroughbred who is, as of January 1st, officially 24. But don't tell her that! She refuses to admit to any age over 15. :-)

Switch was shown a few times in 2012 in Intro with scores in the mid-60's (all errors were mine!). I would have shown her in a higher level, but as this was my first time showing in over 10 years, it was hard enough to wrap my brain around the Intro tests. :-) At home, Switch is capable of doing at least up to First level.

Switch is NOT for sale, NOT for lease, and NOT for someone to "just ride or take lessons on." This opportunity is solely for someone 76 years old or older who wants to complete a Century Ride.

7 members found this post helpful.

Have you posted this in the Georgia COTHer's FB page? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1806...77661/?fref=ts

And a major green thumbs up for such a sweet offer!

Thanks for the idea! I'll do that right now :-)

I second, this is a sweet, sweet offer. A Century Ride is my new goal. My guy is 20 this year, has been with me since BIRTH (his) and I am 56. We've got 14 years to go. I hope we'll do it together, his mom is 35 and still hanging out as queen of the farm and dad lived into his 30s so hope the genes hold up. But if not, I'll be looking for someone to be as kind as you and loan me someone.

1 members found this post helpful.

What a cool offer

What a great idea! I'd be happy to offer my spring-chicken-at-heart 28/29 year old gelding in SC. He was an eventer in his younger years but is still worked a couple times a week. He could probably still do a passable Second level test but would nail a First level or Training level test.
    We should get the mods to create a page to Century Club horses and riders.
    Last edited by TwoBrooksFarm; Jan. 20, 2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added the old mans test capabilities.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FatDinah View Post
    I second, this is a sweet, sweet offer. A Century Ride is my new goal. My guy is 20 this year, has been with me since BIRTH (his) and I am 56. We've got 14 years to go. I hope we'll do it together, his mom is 35 and still hanging out as queen of the farm and dad lived into his 30s so hope the genes hold up. But if not, I'll be looking for someone to be as kind as you and loan me someone.
    My goal also....at something other than Intro! I am 63 Sophie is coming 13
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

If anyone in NC wants to do it, I can offer my soon to be 23 year old mare Can show up to 2nd at this point.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

2 members found this post helpful.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

These lovely mature horses have too much to give to just stand around all day.

Funny, I've thought about this a few times since the couple of articles came out recently. My guy is 27 this year. While he hasn't been ridden in over 4 years, now that he is back with me, I would to start hacking him. I'll have see how he feels, but I would love to offer him to someone to do a Century Ride!