The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you file 1099s on those providing equine services for you?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 41.38%
  • No

17 58.62%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    I have lost track of the number of idiots who have sent me W9s in order to collect my tax ID # so that they can file a 1099. I am a Corporation and all I do is sell merchandise.
    so you are exempt on two counts--you are a corp/you sell merchandise and do not provide services.
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Stay tuned. Maybe next week we will have a poll on who hires illegal aliens and/or pays workers "under the table."
    and we can follow it with a poll on who really believes black helicopters will be coming over the hill........
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

Quote Originally Posted by feather river View Post
    and we can follow it with a poll on who really believes black helicopters will be coming over the hill........
    I'm a lawyer, not a conspiracy theorist. I strongly advise folks to never make admissions of guilt, especially where the IRS is concerned.
    That is all.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

1 members found this post helpful.

eta never mind responded to wrong poster

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    I might add - being a CPA doesn't make one an expert - many bookkeepers and business consultants and attorneys can also provide good information in this area.
    Ah, but CPA's are most likely to be more "expert" regarding tax issues than the average Joe Schmoe. If they are not, then I wonder why we keep paying ours every year.

And that said - I am developing an article on the topic and would love to have your input. May I contact you by PM?

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    I'm a lawyer, not a conspiracy theorist. I strongly advise folks to never make admissions of guilt, especially where the IRS is concerned.
    That is all.
    As mentioned above, I am working on an article on the horse industry and taxes. If you are a tax attorney, I would love to have your input. May I PM you?

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    As mentioned above, I am working on an article on the horse industry and taxes. If you are a tax attorney, I would love to have your input. May I PM you?
    I am an attorney, but taxes are not my specialty.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I'm a tax attorney. Feel free to contact me!

The services that fall under the 1099 realm are not ones I deduct. I do have a boarding operation, but I do not deduct my own private horse's expenses (vet or farrier). Therefore, I don't need to do 1099's for them. I am an amateur, and do not train horses, so any expenses that are paid for boarded horses are billed directly to the boarder by the service provider.

The rest of the things I buy are products (feed/bedding/etc) and don't require 1099s.

uh oh...this is what happened here yesterday...no lie. I was in the barn around 230 and this black helicopter with a red symbol on it was circling the property..one of the horses was freaking out and I was having trouble catching her. The chopper moved away when they saw my trouble...I caught her and then they circled a couple of more times. That's how close they were. I called the non emergency police number and they said maybe they were checking power lines...umm, yeah right. My area is suburban, I am tucked next to a development and our power lines are all inground.
    So, I don't actually have any hired help here...so what were they looking for?
    hmmmm...
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Ah, but CPA's are most likely to be more "expert" regarding tax issues than the average Joe Schmoe. If they are not, then I wonder why we keep paying ours every year.

And that said - I am developing an article on the topic and would love to have your input. May I contact you by PM?
    You can always pm me or email me. I am not a tax accountant, but I do financial workshops, and this is one area I discuss - because so many people (not just horse businesses) are confused in this area. BTW - there are now higher penalties involved for incorrect payment of people who should be paid through payroll (aka barn help is a common one).