The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Study Determines What Music Horses Like at the Barn

After reading this, you may have to change your play list at the barn if you want calm and relaxed horses.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/312...vior-evaluated
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

wow.... it took a "study" for someone to figure that out (smacks forehead) LOL.....

I seem to remember another study reported in Equus that indicated that horses do better with no music than they do with constant background music.
    I'm with the horses, the staccato tempo that's often found in jazz and rock would not be very soothing if you're stuck in a 12 x 12 stall. They probably feel the way I do when I'm trapped in the waiting area at the doctor's office with the TV playing on some morning news program.

2 members found this post helpful.

I wonder if they studied the reactions to 'Col Bogey' with those TB's.
    In the stable where I used to board years ago, they would all come to the front of the stall looking for the race.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I'd love to know how much they spent on that study. Years ago, somebody did a similar study to determine whether horses preferred to have the barn lights on or off. They figured out the horses didn't really care very much either way, and it cost something like two million dollars.

1 members found this post helpful.

We used to listen to Top 40/Hip-Hop at my old barn, until that guy Bubba Sparxxx came out with that song that was just him going "booty booty booty booty booty" over and over again (not sure what the song was called - Booty, maybe?). Barn manager had a FIT and said she refused to listen to that garbage anymore and started putting opera and classical on instead.

I don't know if it relaxed the horses, but it did create a very pleasant atmosphere.

Didn't last very long, unfortunately.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

Agree with hinderella -- previous research indicated that horses NEED quiet time to rest mentally and physically (which seems fairly obvious!) so that ever present barn radio (aside from annoying the heck out of me) was actually correlated with a higher presence of ulcers. The raw data was not posted so I can't say if it was a spurious correlation but it is plausible, especially with horses who may get little to no turnout.

I worked for a lady once who refused to play country western music in the barn because she said it depressed the horses. (seriously!)
    I firmly believe that the term "Come here, you little piece of shit" was coined by a horse person chasing an errant poop ball around a stall.

Quote Originally Posted by realrush89 View Post
    I worked for a lady once who refused to play country western music in the barn because she said it depressed the horses. (seriously!)
    Funny, I worked for somebody once who insisted on country music in the barn to keep the horses relaxed! Which made me crazy, since at the time I hated country music.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Funny, I worked for somebody once who insisted on country music in the barn to keep the horses relaxed! Which made me crazy, since at the time I hated country music.
    Wonder what happens if they listen to the news?

I wonder if I can get a "grant" to start a "study"........ on the effects of TB race horses watching footage of races...........

on a new 70" screen TV of course....

I will need a new barn for the study......

and an indoor arena...

of course, a TV............ I will also need a new dressage saddle so I can "study" how they ride dressage after watching racing....... ummm, what else???

I only got to like country music because of constantly hearing it where I boarded....

Mine listen to what ever station is coming in clear and as long as the feed cart is rolling they don't seem to care what is playing...they can have silent time outside grazing.

I did like the idea of doing your own study with the new 70", etc. LOL

I recently heard on the radio--WTOP that the most relaxing music for people had a beat similar to the human heart rate. They found the most relaxing song was one by Nora Jones--not sure which one.

So that made me think about what you do, Mike. Since you work with BPM of each gait, have you ever tried matching the BPM of a horse's heart rate?

I was thinking about a horse on stall rest that needs to be calmer and maybe music would help.

Default Talk Radio...

Worked with a girl who blasted talk radio (the controversial kind) thru the barn while she worked and horses were in. I doubt it was soothing for them! I mentioned it and she told me it kept the deamons in her head away! She was serious. I was freaked out. One of my horses seemed to enjoy hispanic music.