The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TOTD Blankets, anyone?

Just wondering if anyone has purchased any of the winter blankets on TOTD, and if there any good??

I've purchased them many times. I've probably been through 10 or 12 in the last few years on my group.

They're great 1- or 2-season blankets. Most of the ones I've purchased have been 600 denier which doesn't hold up to a great deal of abuse. Though IIRC I have picked up a couple of 1200 denier along the way, and those have lasted longer.

My horse who lives on his own is on his 2nd winter in one of the heavyweights I bought last fall. The 4 that live together have collectively shredded many of my others (hence why I've owned so many), but one mare in particular has taken great pride in her ability to also shred 1680 and higher denier with no regard for the brand, so take that for what it's worth.

All in all they fit well (true to size), the hardware is nice (though when I've ordered 2 or 3 at a time I've seen pretty big differences from blanket to blanket on the types of hardware), and they do a great job for a cheap blanket.

If I have my choice I prefer Amigo/Rambo, but I'm too cheap to blanket everyone in the highest quality because of the few that are good "scalpers," so I frequently end up with the TOTD blankets.