The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default LOOKING FOR: Mullen Mouth Fulmer bit

I have googled and looked at tack shops online but seem to have difficulty locating one-Has anyone seen such a bit?

Thanks in advance!
    Luna's Equine Designs - Custom stall signs and more! http://www.lunasequinedesigns.com

Never have, unfortunately.
    You can probably find a Mullen full cheek.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Hmm, I was afraid of that. I do have an eggbutt currently that is fine, I was just hoping for the fulmer to allow just a tiny bit more articulation with the bit. Thanks!
    Luna's Equine Designs - Custom stall signs and more! http://www.lunasequinedesigns.com

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

I doubt one exists unless custom made. Just speculating, but it would seem to me that the separately set on rings of a Fulmer, which make for a "loose-er" mouth, like a regular loose ring bit, would be defeated by have the mouthpiece made mullen. Still, I suppose there are loose ring mullen mouths - but I haven't seen any of them either - usually "egg butt" design.

Like that but with a fulmer, not a full cheek. I may try a loose ring Mullen mouth, I just fret about pinching. Thanks again folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post

If you find one please let me know It took me years to find a 3 piece lozenge fulmer in something not stainless or rubber and I ended up having to buy it from NZ. When I went back the next year to inquire about a mullen fulmer, the shop had closed.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Still, I suppose there are loose ring mullen mouths - but I haven't seen any of them either - usually "egg butt" design.
    They do exist; I have one, but it took quite a while to find it.

Mullen-mouth fulmer, on the other hand... well, I've been looking for one of those too, and haven't found it yet.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Long before it was called a Fulmer, after Robert Hall's Fulmer School of Equitation, the bit was known as an Austrian Free ring, as used by the SRS.

Rubber mullen mouthed free rings are available.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

Herm Sprenger makes a loose rein mullen; not sure whether it's German Silver or aurigan mouth.

Yes, HS makes a loose ring Mullen mouth in a range of sizes. Aurigan.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

I looked through the HS catalogue but truthfully, I've had no issue finding Mullen mouths with a loose ring, it's just been the fulmer I have been unsuccessful in finding. I didn't know about the Austrian free ring though, very interesting! Of course, Googling free ring doesn't yield the responses I had hoped for :s

Not sure what you're seeking specifically in the Fulmer cheek, but what about a Baucher?

http://www.jillystackshop.com/hm-mul...-baucher-p117/
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I have a baucher but not in a Mullen mouth so that may be worth considering, thanks!

So let me get this straight. You want a full cheek, mullen, Fulmer bit - meaning a loose ring, full cheek with a mullen bit? There might be one somewhere on the planet, but it won't be a Fulmer. That would have to be a snaffle.

Actually jay shuttleworth makes them. I have emailed about ordering one. Truth be told though, I'd have been equally happy with a loose ring that was pinch less.

I have a mullen mouth fulmer from Jay Shuttleworth. When I got mine he charged a flat rate of $240 something (maybe) and it took a couple of weeks. A custom bit maker is the only place I know of to get one.

How are you liking yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I have a mullen mouth fulmer from Jay Shuttleworth. When I got mine he charged a flat rate of $240 something (maybe) and it took a couple of weeks. A custom bit maker is the only place I know of to get one.

I use it regularly.

My muscle tone is too limp, in general. And I often use bits that are NOT jointed. For leverage, I like a Mikmar short shank.

Since it is a custom bit I paid mucho $ for, that probably also influences the fact that I always have it in active rotation. But I have a whole collection of other bits that sit in the box, and NEVER got used.

When I was younger I remember being at several different barns where the tack/office walls were decorated with all kinds of bits. I've got myself a healthy little collection, but only about 5-6 get used much.

Single joint rubber D
    Eggbut double joint
    Mullen mouth fulmer sided snaffle
    Sprenger jumping hackamore
    Mikmar short shank OR combination (with nose rope)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    I have a baucher but not in a Mullen mouth so that may be worth considering, thanks!
    If you do consider a baucher mullen mouth, consider a Glory bit. It was originally made for driving, but the maker also offers the bit with a baucher cheek. I luckily found mine on ebay.

This website explains what makes a Glory bit different very well
    http://www.coachmansdelight.com/CGui...?pg=GUI46&k=42

In a baucher cheek it is still not an easy bit to find, but it does exist.

It does not have eggbutt sides however, so still a pinching risk, which nullifies your original reason for wanting one.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.