The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Did you read Gill Rolton's book?

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Rein-Gill...ords=free+rein

You may be right about eventers.
    No never read that one but I think I would enjoy it, I do remember when Peppermint Grove was competing. William Fox-Pitt, Mark Todd, Andrew Nicholson and lots of Brits (both show jumpers and eventers) have good bios, in fact I think Mark Todd is coming out with another, picking up where his last one left off.

Jennie Loriston-Clarke's "Going Forward, A Life with Horses" was another especially interesting bio of the great British dressage rider.

Equal to the Challenge is another favorite. Amazon describes it here:
    When women decided that they wanted to compete in horse sports as equals with men, it took courage and perseverance. The women on both sides of the Atlantic who fought to compete in the male-dominated sports of show jumping, dressage, eventing, and racing are the subject of "Equal to the Challenge." Jackie Burke interviewed many of these extraordinary women, and the book is richer for their simple, moving accounts of how they achieved their goals. Many had to endure rejection, humiliation, physical danger, and privation in order to take part in the horse sports they loved. Some women struggled doubly, since they had to overcome physical and financial handicaps. Young women and not just riders will find in this book worthy role models for our time. Jackie C. Burke is a journalist who has been involved in horse sports all her life and knows just about.

I read this a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Believe - A Horseman's Journey - Buck Brannaman
    http://horsecitystore.com/index.php?p=product&id=485

Master horseman Buck Brannaman, the real-life Horse Whisperer, continues the chronicle of his life as trainer and mentor, as we meet thirteen remarkable people whose lives he has affected. Through their own accounts of help and healing and through Brannaman's own introductions, the reader is inspired by the hope and confidence that he instilled in these individuals.
    Believe continues to chronicle the man's efforts as catalyst and mentor as we meet twelve people with whom he has worked. Through their words and through Brannaman's perceptive introductions to each essay, we experience first-hand the hope and confidence that he has instill in them and their horses. Among them are:

- Sherry, who learned to replace fear of the unknown with knowledge of reality;
    - Theresa, who through teaching her horse to accept the saddle and bridle, acquired patience and a sense of timing;
    - Sissy, who credits her ability to cope with a life-threatening illness to Brannaman's inspiring words and deeds;
    - Nicole, who developed confidence and a sense of teamwork while her horse learned not to fear independence;
    - Diane, who discovered the value of releasing life's past traumas;
    - Shane, who saw horses forge a bond between him and the son he thought he had lost forever.

I second National to National. I really enjoyed it. You really get a good perspective from reading it!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I remember loving Equal to the Challenge... now I'm inspired to read it again! Also recommend Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life, Barn Blind and Horse Heaven. Horseplay, Riding Lessons & Flying Changes were fun, quick reads.

More of a fun coffee-table book, but People We Know, Horses They Love is good with lots of gorgeous photographs.

Faraway Horses by Buck Brannaman is also a fabulous book!

Unbridled Passions: Show Jumping's Greatest Horses and Riders North America

http://www.amazon.com/Unbridled-Pass...led+passion%22
    Cindy

"No Hurdle to High" and "$80 Champion" would have to be my two favorite non-fiction biography type horse books. Especially the $80 Champion! The writing is excellent, and there are some lovely photos included in the book, too!

If you're open to something outside of hunter/jumper, I loved Seabiscuit and Man 'O War!

I'm in the middle of $80 Champion right now and am loving it.
    I have it on e-loan from my library but I think I"m going to have to buy a hard copy of it to add to my permanent collection of horse books. It's really great.

1 members found this post helpful.

"The Making of the Modern Warmblood" is absolutely awesome. It goes through the past 100ish years with the various European registries and discusses how the different groups came to be and what influential horses were produced from each region. Throughout the book are interviews with top breeders where they discuss how they formed their breeding programs. It's like a 700pg biographical book encompassing all the breeders and horses who have shaped our sport. Plus it has lots of awesome pictures (which it's very interesting to see the change in conformation over time).

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Anything by Steinkraus is always good, IMO. Also the Madden and Cooney book on management - which provides a good look into the daily routines used in a top barn.

Despite the beginnerish rider on the cover, Winning Ways by Margaret Cannell is an excellent look into what lessons are like in many of the top programs.

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Ways-L.../dp/0876059604

None of them are biographies or non fiction per se, but they all offer a window onto the sport.
    What is the Madden and Cooney book on management called? I am very interested

Quote Originally Posted by Talley View Post
    What is the Madden and Cooney book on management called? I am very interested
    Fit to Show, the Guide to Grooming your Horse is by Cooney and Madden, not sure if that was the book Lucassb is referring to or not. On a similar vein, I liked Susan Harris' Grooming to Win even better.

And I agree about Bill Steinkraus, love his Reflections on Riding and Jumping, its one of the best.