The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Book recommendations: biographies, life on the circuit, etc.

Just did a search but didn't find a thread discussing this.

I would love to read some great equestrian non-fiction or sports biographies.

Looking for a bit of inspiration.

Wouldn't mind some history of the sport either.

Any suggestions?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

I love National to National: A Year on the Show Jumping Circuit

http://www.amazon.com/National-Year-.../dp/0876058462

It's like 20 years old but is an interesting read!

The Eighty Dollar Champion is supposed to be very good too: http://www.amazon.com/Eighty-Dollar-...ollar+champion

1 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Anything by Steinkraus is always good, IMO. Also the Madden and Cooney book on management - which provides a good look into the daily routines used in a top barn.

Despite the beginnerish rider on the cover, Winning Ways by Margaret Cannell is an excellent look into what lessons are like in many of the top programs.

http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Ways-L.../dp/0876059604

None of them are biographies or non fiction per se, but they all offer a window onto the sport.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I really liked "A Sunday Horse: Inside the Grand Prix Show Jumping Circuit." It's a smidge old, but the riders featured are still relevant, so it was very interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Sunday-Horse-J.../dp/1931868417

Thanks guys! These are all exactly what I'm looking for. Keep them coming.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Renegade Champion: The Unlikely Rise of Fitzrada - excellent biography of one of the first women in show jumping

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    Renegade Champion: The Unlikely Rise of Fitzrada - excellent biography of one of the first women in show jumping

Carol
    I'll second this, it's a great read!

Mark Todd's autobiography "So Far So Good". Also "In Service To the Horse" by Susan Nusser. It profiles three top grooms, one at a TB farm, one a showjumping groom, and one an eventing one. Both books recommended!

Whenever I am looking for a horsey read I check out www.ponydom.com/books

There are 83 h/j books listed. Not sure how many are non-fiction but you can search by that category as well.

http://www.ponydom.com/books/discipline.html?type=hj

Unfortunately, it looks like the site has recently been corrupted quite a bit by spammers, but you can still find lots of good information.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Forward Motion:World Class Riders and the Horses That Carry Them
    by Holly Menino. Interviews of Anne Kursinski, Lendon Gray and Keith Taylor and authors thoughts on the riders and their relationships with their horses. I really enjoyed it.

Bill Steinkraus' Reflections on Riding and Jumping is great also.
    Last edited by dbtoo; Jan. 18, 2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add book

How Good Riders Get Good: Daily Choices That Lead to Success in Any Equestrian Sport by Denny Emerson

it isn't EXACTLY an autobiography, but there is a LOT in there about his life experience and what he did to get as good as he is now - so I suppose actually it is an autobiography, just not an actual play-by-play of his entire life. Lots about how the choices he made led to greatness, what inspired them, etc. Fabulous book, highly recommend to every rider!!

2 members found this post helpful.

How Good Riders Get Good: Daily Choices That Lead to Success in Any Equestrian Sport by Denny Emerson

it isn't EXACTLY an autobiography, but there is a LOT in there about his life experience and what he did to get as good as he is now - so I suppose actually it is an autobiography, just not an actual play-by-play of his entire life. Lots about how the choices he made led to greatness, what inspired them, etc. Fabulous book, highly recommend to every rider!!

I'm partial to the stories of Judy Richter, who makes me laugh to this day with her unique combination of fecklessness and courage. She jumps bigger jumps at 70 than I will ever contemplate. They are tales of life with a horse-mad family ranging from the hunt field to the top of the show circuit, surrounded by memorable equines and hairy dogs. She has written several books and always has a new one in the hopper. (Hopper! We must get HIM to write a book).

Nutmeg - titles???
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

No Hurdle Too High - The Story of Show Jumper Margie Goldstein Engle.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hurdle-Too-Hig.../dp/B004LGTRPI

Just read it on my flight from Atlanta to Fort Worth and enjoyed.

From the Back Cover

America's most successful Grand Prix rider, Margie Goldstein Engle is the star attraction at any horse show at which she competes, and serves as a role model for a generation of young equestrians. Her successes include the prestigious American Invitational, the Budweiser AGA Show Jumping Championship, and representing the United States in Nations Cups and at the Sydney Olympics. She is the American Grandprix Association's only eight-time Rider of the Year and the first rider ever to place first, second, third, fourth, and fifth in a single Grand Prix class.
    The route to the top was not an easy one. As a youngster growing up in Florida, Margie overcame parental objections to learning to ride, eventually doing chores at the stable in exchange for extra rides, and helping horse owners in exchange for tack, boots, and other equipment.
    As Margie's passion for horses and eagerness for athletic challenges spurred her through the junior horse show ranks toward the open jumper division, veterans discouraged the petite rider with "you're too small-you'll never control those large animals." Nevertheless, Margie accepted horses that other riders rejected as too dangerous-and often turned them into blue-ribbon winners.
    NO HURDLE TOO HIGH is the story of this talented and courageous athlete: of life on the "A circuit" and dealing with horses (including a chapter of riding advice) and of triumphs and setbacks, including a variety of falls and crashes that might have ended the career of a less tenacious person. But thanks to her dedication and skill and the love and support of her family-especially husband Steve-and her sponsors and fans, Margie continues to appear in top events . . . and in the winner's circle.
    An extraordinary and inspiring story written by the person who has known Margie best-her mother-NO HURDLE TOO HIGH is a heartwarming display of parental pride, concern, and humor. It is a book that will appeal to everyone- rider or not-who thrills to challenges and triumphs at the highest levels.

About the Author

Mona Pastroff Goldstein, a retired schoolteacher and author, has followed her daughter's career from the very beginning. She and her husband Irv travel, whenever possible, to shows where their daughter competes.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    No Hurdle Too High - The Story of Show Jumper Margie Goldstein Engle.
    http://www.amazon.com/Hurdle-Too-Hig.../dp/B004LGTRPI

Just read it on my flight from Atlanta to Fort Worth and enjoyed.
    I found this book incredibly boring, couldn't even bring myself to finish it. One of my favorite bios is Ginny, An Autobiography by Virginia Leng and Genevieve Murphy. She is an eventer but leads a very interesting life, in fact now that I think of it the eventer bios are among the most enjoyable IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    in fact now that I think of it the eventer bios are among the most enjoyable IMO.

Did you read Gill Rolton's book?

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Rein-Gill...ords=free+rein

You may be right about eventers.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

http://www.amazon.ca/Masters-Show-Ju.../dp/0876058934

The Masters of Show Jumping is an older book but it looks like you can still get used copies. I still pull it out from time, it features many of the top European show jumpers of the late 80
    's and early 90's (and lots who are still at it, like Ian Millar)

I enjoyed it, some chapters feature the rider and one particular horse, some more about their general program.

I also like some of the previously mentioned books," In Service to the Horse" and "Forward Motion"
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    Nutmeg - titles???
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...3Ajudy+ritcher
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf