The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awww, they all look so comfy! That works out great, a LOT more surface room than my little one. I can't get more than 2 horses on mine at once. Maybe 3 if they weren't too big and got along.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I tried it but my horses just pee on it. Its a good way to get them to pee in one spot (they're in winter dry lot) but they won't roll or sleep in it. They do the same with shavings if i fill the run=in with shavings then they just pee there.
    I think its because they don't have the urine slash on them like they do if they pee in the hard compacted dirt of the run in. My guys will step off a trail to use the woods

Being a slacker myself, I like the idea of just dumping a mound and letting the horses do the rest of the work. I think mine would.

Oh, and Misty Blue, you have a veritable horse playground there. Or it's a self-serve spa?

I had forgotten the DOT brushes as my BO wasn't into defacing her place (and maybe the work of pouring concrete). But dayum, recent pictures of Horseling in his paddock gives me an Auschwitz vibe--- mud pit inside an electrified fence and grass on the outside.

Something *must* be done.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've seen those brushes in cow pastures around here (Misty's area). One summer the cows and their babies were all gathered around the brush, as the flies were bad. Beautiful pasture with a stream running through it and one of those brushes sticking up.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Being a slacker myself, I like the idea of just dumping a mound and letting the horses do the rest of the work. I think mine would.

Oh, and Misty Blue, you have a veritable horse playground there. Or it's a self-serve spa?
    LOL, I'm a slacker when it comes to grooming. I groom, but prefer to make it as easy as possible. Hence the rolling pit and brush. Self grooming horses!

And yup, horses usually knock down and spread out the sand on their own. And when it's still kinda in a pile horses seem to have fun playing in it like little kids.

The places with cows around here also have the big brushes. They also put theirs in sideways between two posts more often than upright though. Cows LOVE them more than horses seem to, cute to watch the cows using one.

My horse Sonny has a signature spin move with the brush. He leans a shoulder on it, puts his nose almost on the ground and swings his arse out...then walks in a circle around the brush leaning *way* in, scrubbing everything from ears to shoulder. It's hilarious to watch!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

With cows, in those scratching places, you have to add some insecticide, as lice tend to be spread by common rubbing spots, like from the clumps of hair on barb wire fences in spots they like to scrape along.
    The ones we make have a little oil reservoir on top that leaks the oily insecticide down the brush or whatever you use.

We make some cattle oilers out of a cross bottom, an upright in the middle and from the top to two sides a thick cable full of metal washers, like you use in nuts.
    The oil comes down those cables and washers and so keeps insects away from the cattle.
    Some use those for horses in the winter also, as they too may get lice and ticks in you keep several together turned out.

So..... what's the CT-area verdict on ticks (and maybe lice) setting up shop in the DOT brushes?

My BO might (prematurely) put the kibosh on the DOT brush for the bug issue.

That would be too bad, as I'd like to see my horse develop his own signature moves, "with a swirl at the end" as in Seinfeld.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I absolutely LOVE this idea--glad I happened upon this thread. My 25yr old tank of a horse doesn't bend his hocks like he used to, so lying down for a roll involves kneeling down with butt high in the air, and then Tim-berrrrr! I am sooooo building a sand pit this spring.
    Where did you guys get those brushes?
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    I absolutely LOVE this idea--glad I happened upon this thread. My 25yr old tank of a horse doesn't bend his hocks like he used to, so lying down for a roll involves kneeling down with butt high in the air, and then Tim-berrrrr! I am sooooo building a sand pit this spring.
    That is one reason I left the pile with some high spots, because my old one with the bad stifle, that had trouble getting down and up, would find a slope and lay on that, then it was easier for him to get up from it than from flat ground, less high to do your timber! trick (I like that) or the hop on three legs to get up.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    People sell 'em on Craigslist, but rumor has it that you can go to your local DOT equipment yard and ask for one. We are taking used up street-sweeper brushes off their hands, so they might just be free. But they are heavy.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I just found a site that has them, and I've asked for a quote: http://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.com/
    Love the idea of checking with the roads dept = no shipping costs.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

So..... what's the CT-area verdict on ticks (and maybe lice) setting up shop in the DOT brushes?

My BO might (prematurely) put the kibosh on the DOT brush for the bug issue.
    Never had a tick on mine. And considering my Lyme track record, I'm uber-psychotic about ticks, LOL!

A tick may get brushed off of your horse onto the brush if the horse already had a tick, but ticks climb up and not out. The bristles go out. So I wouldn't think it would attract ticks on it's own. If you're really worried you could spray it once a week with deepwoods Off. But I've had mine for years now and never had a tick on the brush or either horse.

HungarianHippo

I got mine from a local DOT. I didn't go get it, a friend of mine was there picking one up for their horses and they had a lot of extras they were tossing so he rolled a second one for me on his trailer and dropped it off.

They are heavy...but they also roll. So if you're picking one up, bring a trailer if you have one because it's a lot easier to roll one onto that than try to get it in a pickup bed. Or call and ask at the DOT if they have any, if they do ask if they can help get it into your truck bed. They have a tractor and/or skidder on premises, so sometimes they'll use that to lift one into a truck. Then just kick it off at home and roll it into position.

I agree with Bluey...for your creaky old guy it might be easier for him to walk onto or up and onto a sand pile than down into a sand pit. The slope of a pile might make it easier for him to get up and down. And if he flattens the pile out, you can rake it or use a tractor to re-pile it once in a while.

You'll *love* having a sand pile or pit though. Say goodbye to dirty, dusty horses.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

How come I never thought of this? I'm so going to add one! Have a feeling that Rue will love it. What sort of sand are you using?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Here, we use regular river sand, angular sand, not the very fine kind.

I've been thinking about doing this for years, and definitely will do it this year. Thanks for the impetus.
    Misty Blue, love the idea of the scratch post too, thank you!
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Washed sand/river sand. You can ask the quarry/sand place what types they have and what they'd recommend for a rolling area for horses. There's a few different types, some have small stones, some have dust, neither has too much. Prices aren't high around here. Location willl make a difference in price and in what types of sand are called. Distance of delivery makes a difference in price too, closer the quarry the less the price. I know here sand, in general, isn't overly expensive. It only gets expensive as footing for a ring/arena because you need a *lot* of it and multiple deliveries.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Yes to a washed sand. My original rolling area was excess sand we pulled out of my indoor. It was mason sand. Up until last yr I always refilled with mason sand. Went to a different quarry, a bit closer to home for some stone dust and looked at the ONLY sand pile they had. It was cheap so I decided I'd try it. BIG MISTAKE!!!! It was full of fines or dirt and made more of a mess than anything when it got wet. It was almost like a mud. So this spring it will get removed if I can or else spread as thin as possible and more mason sand will be addded.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

How big of a sand pit would you do for 3 horses...one is kinda a bully?

How messy does it get if you just plop sand down? I have all grass. Will sand in the grassy area make a big ol mess long term?

Quote Originally Posted by Serigraph View Post
    How big of a sand pit would you do for 3 horses...one is kinda a bully?

How messy does it get if you just plop sand down? I have all grass. Will sand in the grassy area make a big ol mess long term?
    This is a dump load of sand, that I spread just a bit with my tractor bucket.
    I will at times steal some here and there for other places, there is a lot of sand there, is about 2' to 3' tall in places.
    I could have spread it wider, but for my 3 horses that are good buddies is just right:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	38427  

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Oooh!
    Glad this idea got resurrected.

I am having my sacrifice area graveled soon - 3" of gravel sized between river rock & pea gravel over 53s.
    My version of Joan Crawford's Mommie Dearest:
    "No more boot-sucking mud! EVER!"
    I'll ask excavator about dumping a load of sand in one corner.
    Bonus Points if the best corner faces my back porch so I can watch them indulge
    Right now the area visible from the house is the Wall of Shame, where they stand beneath the overhang looking miserable in bad weather.

First thing they do when I turnout in my indoor is drop & roll, so I know they'll use a sandbox
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009