The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle musings on this Friday morning

Anyone have a Kieffer for their TB? Thoughts?

Now that my mare is sound(er) and we can go back to some light work, I'm once again looking for a dressage saddle on a budget. I've been flatting her in a collegiate diploma convertible jump saddle and it fits her fine. I, however, don't love that saddle, it hurts my lower back for some reason.

Horse is a standard TB build and seems to be pretty average to fit. I like bare minimum... not a fan of big blocks, or a super deep seat.

I'd like to stay under $700-800. I like Teknas and I'm tempted to try one, but found the Tekna jump saddle to rock on her a bit. Not a fan of Wintecs for myself, something about the twist bothers my hip flexors.

Any other ideas?
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

The Tekna dressage saddle I had (S line, brandy new) fit my Tb pretty well. I didn't care for riding in it and thought maybe a narrower gullet was needed. (second ride) Two hours later I had the thing apart. I Could NOT get it back together again...so Victory Canter very graciously allowed me to return it. Maybe I had a dud. I can change wintec gullets with ease, not that Tekna, the screws that held the gullet plates just popped right back out.
    So, something to consider.
    Good luck!

There's a passier grand gilbert on ebay right now for $700. I'd snag it but I'm a brown tack gal ;-)
    I hate bulky saddles and passiers are known for being fantastic on TB's
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I just bought a Keiffer Wien on eBay after seeing one at the barn. I was attracted by the pencil knee rolls and lack of thigh blocks. Before buying it, I did a search on here of "Kieffer Wien" and what came up were threads asking the best saddle for a TB.

I had to send it to Dressage Extensions for tree adjustment (costs $80 plus shipping, which they do at their cost) and I will have it back tomorrow so I will update on how it goes. DE also told me if they didn't get it just right I can send it back.

They are $500 to $600 on eBay and they go fast.
    Last edited by Bristol Bay; Jan. 18, 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: sp
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I rode my old TB in an older kieffer wein. Loved the close contact feel, relatively flat seat and minimal blocks. It has plenty of clearance for the withers too.

I sat in one of the new ones and didn't like it. The twist was wider and there was a lot between me and the horse.

You should have no trouble finding and older wein for under $800.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

My friend had a kieffer and a HDR dressage saddle for sale in the Rochester area, I'll see if they are still available and PM you!

1 members found this post helpful.

Anyone have an Ainsley dressage saddle? My much beloved jump saddle was an Ainsley, I rode in it for 20 years.... I miss it.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I have an older Kieffer for my TB. It fits him perfectly, better than any other saddle I tried on him.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Anyone have an Ainsley dressage saddle? My much beloved jump saddle was an Ainsley, I rode in it for 20 years.... I miss it.
    If you're asking if such a thing exists, yes, it does. They're not super common, but they're out there. As you'd expect, the seat architecture is fairly similar to that of Ainsley jump saddles--so if you know you like the brand, it's defnitely worth a shot.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Jan. 20, 2013 at 05:40 PM.

HOw about the Thorowgood T4 hi wither dressage model at dover? Its synthetic, has adjustable gullet plates, and fits TB's really nicely. The knee blocks are removeable so you can always put some smaller ones on if you prefer small blocks (wintec sells small blocks),