The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There was some device advertised on the message boards not long ago that keeps shoes on. Not sure if it would help in this case or not, but thought I'd mention it. I don't see the ad now and don't remember what it was called, but maybe somebody else does. It was a yellow plastic piece that went on the back of the hoof and over the end of the shoe. Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    Mea Culpa. It has to do with your not offering sufficient recompense . . .
    Your check is in the mail . . . postage is COD.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Your check is in the mail . . . postage is COD.
    That sounds a bit fishy..............

Depends on what the problem is and what, if anything, has already been tried. At this point there is not enough information to make the 'rush to judgement' that you have made. Even the questions I posed aren't complete, just a place to start the conversation. Your advice remains ill advised, short sighted and wrong, but typical of today's average non-horseman horse owner.
    What ever happened to the diet high in NSC's?
    Isn't that still the cause of all equid irregularities around here?

Quote Originally Posted by sonofasailor View Post
    What ever happened to the diet high in NSC's?
    Isn't that still the cause of all equid irregularities around here?
    Only during the year long transition period.

Oh for something's sake, will you two stop spewing chaff all over the landscape. You're cluttering up the world.!!!

Snort!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

That sounds a bit fishy..............
    Rick - if Tom sends a money order, for more than the actual amount, asks you to cash it and return the excess........he's definately scamming you.......

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by D1nOnlyRocketPony View Post
    Rick - if Tom sends a money order, for more than the actual amount, asks you to cash it and return the excess........he's definately scamming you.......
    Not to worry. The amount on the check/money order is always the actual amount.....I never send anything back............ Especially when his return address is Lagos, Nigeria or Somalia or the like and the cover letter refers to him as "His Excellency" or "Minister of Finance" or "Chancellor of the Exchequer".........

ahhh... I see my reading comprehension skills fall to zero before my first cup of coffee. Appropriately mortified.
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

Quote Originally Posted by nuevaburro View Post
    . . . Appropriately mortified.
    Is that a subliminal reference to your previous post regarding a product that contains "formalin" . . . also used by "morticians?"

Keratex gel? Ingredients are mineral oil, turpentine, and aluminum stearate. No formalin (which is itself a mixture of formaldehyde and water) in sight.
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

Hmmmmm, so Keratex hoof hardener has formalin (a crosslinker and horn hardening fixative), but the gel doesn't? In that case, what ingredient in the gel improves the nail holding ability of hoof horn?

Yep, no formaldehyde in the gel. According to farrier and manufacturer's claims, it prevents moisture changes (wetting or drying) weakening the hoof wall. Could be a bunch of baloney. But I tried it on just one hoof for a shoeing cycle. Then I asked the farrier to guess which hoof, and he correctly said the left front, he thought it looked strongest. Utterly non-scientific, but it was the closest I could get to a double blind randomized trial with four feet and one farrier

Venice turpentine is a desiccant and to some extent it repels moisture from the surface of hoof horn. Aluminum stearate mixed with mineral oil makes a gel.

Wet horn (>~%30 moisture level) has lower mechanical properties, toughness and compression strength, than dry horn (<~%22 moisture). Studies in vitro have shown that rapid moisture cycling between saturation and extremely dry can damage horn cells. However, the same studies showed that gradual changes do not damage the cells.

The idea behind hoof "sealers" like Keratex Hoof Gel, or any of the nail polish type of horn sealers is to slow down the moisture exchange rate due to frequent evaporation and immersion cycles. However, healthy hoof horn itself is already pretty darn good at maintaining moisture equilibrium and withstanding rapid moisture cycling without any help.

You have to login to get the whole article, but this is a good read on the subject.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/133...t-studies-show

Thompson's Water Seal works as good or better than most hoof products to repel moisture.....if that is what you want to do.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

Charlie, Great idea, but I hope you aren't using hoof sealers on your patio deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Charlie, Great idea, but I hope you aren't using hoof sealers on your patio deck.
    It would be a waste of time and money ...besides, I don't need horse sh.t sticking to my deck.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

My horse used to pull of shoes or cause a sprung shoe by stepping on himself. My very competent farriers solved this by fitting the shoes more closely to the foot. While they preferred to leave the shoes longer in the heel area, my horse doesn't keep the shoes on if they do what looks like a perfect shoeing.

Talk with your farrier, and see if he has a plan. If he wants you to go to a more experienced farrier for an opinion, do it. Get some nail pullers and a rasp, and get your farrier to teach you how to pull a sprung shoe. Also, get a good hoof boot, so every sprung or lost shoe is not a crisis. For my big boy, the Easy Boot RX is the best boot for a shoeless foot.

Indeed, it is very easy to use a shoe that is 2 sizes too small and keep it on the foot no matter what the horse does.

When it comes to chronic shoe pullers, every farrier I know has to struggle with finding the optimum fullness of fit that keeps the horse sound and moving well through the cycle while at the same time accommodating the tight tolerances required to keep the horse from stepping off the shoe.

OTOH, when you do find the sweet spot, it comes with a good measure of personal satisfaction - especially when the horse's owner realizes that Dobbin hasn't stepped off a shoe in 3 or 4 cycles and recognizes your achievement rather that giving the credit to some fancy supplement or hoof coating.

1 members found this post helpful.

Sorry Tom, forgot that farriers are gods and can fix all hoof defects ;P My farrier gets full credit for all the amazing work he has done, including telling me to use the "fancy supplement" (which happens to be one of the only ones out there with peer-reviewed research supporting its efficacy). I fully appreciate his working with me and my horse to solve the issue holistically instead of just putting on a too-small shoe. If he tells me to put on a fancy hoof gel, I hop to and do it. I never bothered with any of that voodoo before he told me to.