The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default He sprung a shoe... AGAIN

This is at least the third time it's happened since October. It's always a hind shoe. Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

I've found that using Keratex over the nails seems to help. Every day for 5 days, then once a week.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Get a new farrier.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't necessarily think it's always the farrier's fault... my horse is very busy. Always moving, turning around, walking back and forth, getting into something. The farrier I use is great. Very precise and accurate. But because of how busy my guy is, he has lost both hind shoes once in the past 2 months. He just hooks them onto things like rubber mats or whatever.

I know of someone that swore by putting bell boots on her horse at all times. She said once she did that her horse didn't pull shoes as often anymore. I don't know if that would work, but she absolutely believed it helped.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

If you could go without shoes, that would definitely solve your problem, lol. Could you try the bell boots? I don't see why that wouldn't help. Maybe ask your farrier if they have any recommendations?

Do you know how he pulls them off? If he does is with the other hind leg, maybe it's time to see a chiro/massage therapist, and see if anything can be adjusted.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Really odd question, but is he turned out with any other horses?? My horse's shoes were getting sprung because the obnoxious 3 year old he was turned out with kept stepping on them. Yes he would get that up close to him and in his way. I put hind bell boots on for turn out and that helped. I eventually moved him to a different turnout group and it stopped happening.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Always the same shoe? Which branch of the shoe is sprung? Is the shoe fit full or have heel extensions? Is the horse stalled or outside when the shoe is sprung? How far into the shoeing cycle is your horse when the incident occurs? Are the shoes new or a reset? If a reset, how many times has the shoe been reset?

At this point in time, 'amastrike's' advice is, IMNTBCHO, both wrong and bad.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Burten View Post
    At this point in time, 'amastrike's' advice is, IMNTBCHO, both wrong and bad.
    This is the third time it's happened. How many times does it take you to fix a problem?
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    This is the third time it's happened. How many times does it take you to fix a problem?
    Depends on what the problem is and what, if anything, has already been tried. At this point there is not enough information to make the 'rush to judgement' that you have made. Even the questions I posed aren't complete, just a place to start the conversation. Your advice remains ill advised, short sighted and wrong, but typical of today's average non-horseman horse owner.

Your advice remains ill advised, short sighted and wrong, but typical of today's average non-horseman horse owner.
    Like someone's signature says "The horse world: Two people, three opinions."
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Like someone's signature says "The horse world: Two people, three opinions."
    Rick Burten is posting his opinion under his own name. He is a professional with peer reviewed credentials and decades of field experience. So his opinion is a professional opinion.

Your offer your opinion while hiding behind an anonymous screen name as your "credential."

It DOES really matter how they're pulling the shoe off. For example, we have three horses that have all had problems keeping one specific shoe on.

After observing all of them, horse A pulls shoes by kicking the wall at feeding time (remedied by moving the witchy mare to an isolation stall, that she much enjoys), horse B is base narrow and interferes behind (remedied over time by many adjustments to feet and way of going), and horse C...the goofy one...pulls them off when she climbs in and out of her water tank on hot days (remedied by raising the water tank to make more difficult and less appealing). The 20 some-odd other horses keep their shoes on quite well, and I would have been foolish to blame any of those situations on the farrier.

Find out WHY or HOW then address the specific concern.

Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    It DOES really matter how they're pulling the shoe off. For example, we have three horses that have all had problems keeping one specific shoe on.
    Horses don't like to share. I would throw that damned shoe away and give each horse their own personal shoe.

After observing all of them, horse A pulls shoes by kicking the wall at feeding time (remedied by moving the witchy mare to an isolation stall, that she much enjoys), horse B is base narrow and interferes behind (remedied over time by many adjustments to feet and way of going), and horse C...the goofy one...pulls them off when she climbs in and out of her water tank on hot days (remedied by raising the water tank to make more difficult and less appealing). The 20 some-odd other horses keep their shoes on quite well, and I would have been foolish to blame any of those situations on the farrier.

Find out WHY or HOW then address the specific concern.
    EXCELLENT!!!

Why can't we have people like you in CONGRESS!!!

4 members found this post helpful.

From personal experience I would second the keratex gel, and add a good hoof supplement. If his feet are having a problem holding nails those two together did wonders for my shoe puller. I also kept him in bell boots 24/7 for a few months until his hoof had time to strengthen. But as they say, YMMV.
    "Here? It's like asking a bunch of rednecks which is better--Ford or Chevy?" ~Deltawave

The title of this thread says "SPRUNG shoe" . . . which indicates the nails are holding the shoe on the foot well enough that the shoe bends rather than pulling out the nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    The title of this thread says "SPRUNG shoe" . . . which indicates the nails are holding the shoe on the foot well enough that the shoe bends rather than pulling out the nails.
    Why are you allowing facts to get in the way of a good argument/discussion????

If I didn't know better, I might accuse you of reading for content in context with comprehension.......

Thanks for helping to ruin the start of my day........

What kind of fences do you have? I've seen horses take shoes off (although partially off could also happen) on those diamond mesh fences that go right down to the ground. Is he out with a group of fractious horses? Possible getting a hoof stuck in the belly band of his blanket?

I kept rubber bell boots on one horse I leased pretty much 24/7/365 because he would always pull the right front off about 10 days before the farrier was due. Worked well--shoe-removal rate went down to maybe once a year vs. 5-6 times a year. He had wedge shoes with pour-in pads and was very short-coupled and Gumby-like.
    Click here before you buy.

Why are you allowing facts to get in the way of a good argument/discussion????

If I didn't know better, I might accuse you of reading for content in context with comprehension.......

Thanks for helping to ruin the start of my day........
    However that's assuming the OP knows the difference.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Why are you allowing facts to get in the way of a good argument/discussion????. . .
    . . . due in some portion to me being a victim of your grossly inadequate mentoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    . . . due in some portion to me being a victim of your grossly inadequate mentoring.
    Mea Culpa. It has to do with your not offering sufficient recompense for the privilege of seeking truth, wisdom, and answers to deeply philosophical questions such as "does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bed post overnight?". Had there been enough filthy lucre passing into my coffers, you would have received the full benefit of my magnificence and mellifluousness, and would have come away with a deep and full understanding of the mysteries of the universe. But don't lose hope. All is not lost. Send cash, check or money order to me and I will, using my Svengali-like powers, reach out top you and imbue you with the concepts you so desperately seek. It will be as though you were drowning and received bountiful air, or you were dying of thirst and found an ever flowing river of fresh, pure, crystal clear, cool water to slake your thirst............