The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default what is this? bacterial/fungal skin infection with little blisters

My mare has these crusty sores on her chest, belly, and tops of her legs. The few on her legs were bumps, like bug bite size, but today they all popped and had fluid inside. The fluid is yellow and turns crusty. I washed it off. So now she has these small skin lesions all over. Her chest is the worst, swollen and hot,chaffed and hair rubbed off from her scratching. She is SUPER itchy. Its more between her legs than chest, but it is on the chest too. It is really bad there.

I noticed it yesterday and called the vet who said give her benedryl and keep an eye on it. Today it was worse.

Had the vet out, she said its not exactly rain rot, just a misc skin bacterial/fungal infection. I have medicated shampoo for her, pills and powder. I left the vet paperwork in the car, so I don't know exactly what the medication is off the top of my head

I remember my other mare would get this every once in a while, but only a few bumps. They'd pop and go away and I figured they were bug bites. Nothing like what this poor girl has.

What exactly is it?

Its a miscellaneous bacterial or fungal infection. Unless the vet took a sample and sent it away for testing, he doesn't know exactly what the bacteria or fungus is. Its like the many viruses we get all winter long. There aren't names for them, and there are tons of them out there. It would be very expensive if you caught one to be tested to try to identify which virus it was. A virus is a virus, and it has to run its course and is treated like a virus.

The only thing I would question would be which is it - a bacterial infections (skin, I presume) or a fungus - because they would require separate types of treatment. My horse had an eye infection and no, we didn't test for what it was, I didn't have the hundreds of dollars for that, but he was treated with a fungal eye ointment and an antibacterial eye ointment, both, and it cleared up in two days.

If you want to know what it is, you have to ask your vet. If he knows, he will tell you. If not, he will tell you, and then he'll tell you what it will cost to test to find out what it is, and whether or not knowing the name will help clear it up.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

The vet didn't know, she said misc infection/fungal. I thought somebody here might know. So there are a lot of things that cause these bumps? Like any number of germs all present the same way? I thought it was a specific thing, but that explains why the vet just said misc.

Sounds like Dermatophilosis but you don't normally get itchiness with it. I'd try 'diagnostic treatment' for D. first which is simple, cheap and not very complicated before going into extensive labwork to identify a germ that may or may not be responsible. Remember when you take a sample of skin you always get a variety of germs and it is often difficult to differentiate one that is responsible for the problem.
    I wouldn't worry too much as bacterial infections are pretty common this time of year (lack of light, a lot of rain, horses often stressed by cold weather...)

Sounds more like chiggers? Are you living in an area with heavy clay soils and maybe a recent warm up with rain?

Yes! What the heck is a chigger?

Chiggers are the larva of a mite.

Wild turkey population in your area too? If yes then I would put my money on chiggers.

Google "turkey mite chiggers" and "chiggers" and you will get the 411. They generally run their course in about 14 days and for most horses not a big deal. But every now and then a horse that appears to be a bit more sensitive will get a 2ndary bacterial infection and need a round of antibiotics. Which is a real pain in the back side!

My 1st Morgan gelding broke out in nasty patches- both itchy and oozy! Then the breakout would progress to infection a wk or 2 later. It always evolved into swelling and heat. But the other horses....only one or two oozy bumps that would go away on their own for the most part.

Hard to believe tho your vet does not recognize a simple case of chiggers. How old is this vet? Old enough to not remember their childhood but young enough not to have children I bet?

The best way to deal with chiggers is prevention. All kinds of remedies out there but we always dust legs (both humnan and equine) with flowers of sulfur daily when riding in the southern half of our state. That works the best for us and our horses.

My horse is currently suffering from something that sounds similar:

Raised "boils' that itch like crazy, ooze serum, a little pus, open up and scab but never heal. Started on the left hind ankle and has spread up the leg to the inner thigh. My vet has tried three types of antibiotic, as well as topical Biozinde, and I've mixed OTC fungicide, neosporin, zinc oxide and hydrocortisone to no avail.

Vet has done 2 pus samples but can't grow anything notable yet. Thinks it's a corynebacterium and a month of Baytril may help....
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB

I know in people, those little pussy bumps that appear to come and go is an allergic reaction to food and or enviroment. Usually on palms of hands and soles of feet.
    Sometimes a blood disorder will cause the pussy bumps.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

These are high up on the leg. I should have been more clear. Like shoulder and halfway down her rump. Most of it is between her front legs or around her elbow area.

No turkeys... I googled chiggers, I don't think that's it. Nobodys ever mentioned having them around here. There's no grass in the corral. But it does take forever to dry up, because of the clay and shade.

No pus that I saw, just a yellow colored clear fluid that burns the surrounding skin. She's healing up quickly, no more oozing, thank goodness and everything is dry and healing quick. The worst of it was between her legs, she's got a lot of skin folds so the stuff was in the folds and just a mess. Plus it made it hard to see. Until it swelled up, I didn't notice anything. But once I saw it and got a closer look, ugh, it was gross. Thank goodness she's healing quick.

She's funny, she picks the antihistamine pills out of her food and won't eat them. They're just tiny capsules! I put pellets in there to try and hide them, but she was too smart! So I had to bust them open and syringe them in. Lol

Do you have fire ants where you are?