The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Half Chaps or Tall Boots for Schooling?

My ancient half chaps and paddock boots have been dying for quite some time. My show boots are approximately 15yrs old and are the irreplaceable Effinghams Its time for new boots. The Effinghams are still quite beautiful and as long as I only wear thin breeches (and don't gain a single pound!) they are fine for showing.

Looking at paddock boots and 1/2 chaps, it looks like I could easily spend $300 for something that will last a few years. For that price, I could almost get a new pair of tall boots. I'm not sure how long my Effinghams will last as I certainly stress the zipper trying to get them on

I always wear muck boots anytime I am not on a horse, so my gear is fairly well taken care of.

So, should I buy new half chaps and paddock boots? Or new tall boots? And if so, what are your favorites? I cannot spend $500+ on tall boots, but $300-$400 is do-able. Especially considering my current tall boots are 15yrs old, and my 1/2 chaps and paddocks are 8-9yrs old.

I sprang for La Mundial half chaps and love love the look and feel...but now I do want the tall boots my Dehners are so stiff in comparison and a pain to pull on...

I have both, and the half chaps were $150. So, I agree that you could go either way. I use both, but I honestly prefer to ride in tall boots. If you really need to save your tall boots for showing, I would go with tall boots. The Treadstep Donatello boots look like a good deal. There are a lot of calf sizes to choose from, and the reviews are favorable.
    I have $500-ish tall boots that I school in sometimes, but I ride 5-6 days a week so I alternate with my paddock/half chaps. I'll go for tall boots when they wear out.

I prefer half chaps. I use the ariat volant ones with the matching paddock boot. Less break in time and in my opinion much more comfortable.
    I'd recommend shopping around and find what you like, whether its tall boots or chaps/paddocks.

Here's my two cents worth...

I have the Tredstep paddock boots and the Moxie half chaps for everyday. I really love the Moxie half chaps and they are only $36! They are really stretchy and are made of a material that can me machine washed.

For tall boots I treated myself to a pair of the Tredstep Donatello. And I must say they are wicked comfy! I have a really narrow foot but a muscular calf and they fit great. I tried them on at a local tack shop that carried them and was very impressed. I must also say that their price tag is fantastic to. They are right under the $300 price point, but I think you truly get a really nice boot for the money.

1 members found this post helpful.

I feel my leg is much more stable in tall boots. Haven't worn half chaps in years. Maybe a pair of Mt Horse for schooling? Good price, comfortable, and hold up well.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah...I'm quite interested in the MH boots. I measure 15" wide by 15" tall, and some of those tall boots same way too tall for me. MH comes in short, I just wish I had a local tack shop that carried them so I could try them on first!

I go with tall boots. I honestly like them better when I ride. I have a cheap pair of old Ariat suede 1/2 chaps and my old pairs of Ariat close contact 1/2 chaps if I ride in jeans.

I really only wear them when I actually am on the horse. I have the Ariat crown pros with zipper and I bought them new for under $200. The zipper blew out the 1st use, which sucked but ariat is not known for great zipper quality.

I put them on for my first ride and take them off right after my last ride. That includes walks to the paddock,quick hosing, and grooming. If it is muddy or I have to give the horse a bath then I switch to my rubber boots and put my tall boots on to ride the next horse.

I just prefer tall boots as I feel they are more comfortable when I ride.

edit:

I love the look of the Mountian Horse tall boots, but very few styles come tall enough for me, which does not seem to be a problem for you lol. A few people at the barn have them and love them. They look nice when they ride. The tredsteps are also ones that I was looking at, but again, their cheaper models were way too short for me. Might be worth a look.
    Last edited by FLeventer; Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: additional info
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    Yeah...I'm quite interested in the MH boots. I measure 15" wide by 15" tall, and some of those tall boots same way too tall for me. MH comes in short, I just wish I had a local tack shop that carried them so I could try them on first!
    We're about the same size (I might be more like a 15/16). The shorts fit GREAT.

As to your original question, yes. U use both, but typically stay with paddock boots and half chaps. Yes, they can be pricey, but I like the versatility they allow. Cold and want to wear the full chaps you wear 3 times a year? You've got the boots to go with them. Don't feel like wearing britches today? Throw your half chaps on over your jeans!

It is a pretty personal preference, though. I know some people who can't STAND to ride in either one thing or the other. I like both.

I always schooled in tall boots. More leg stability IMO. I've ridden in both and I much prefer my tall boots.

If you want to save your nicer boots for showing but still want tall boots to school in -- and I don't know if they still make them or not as it's been quite a few years since I've been in the market for new tall boots -- check into the Devon Aire brand. They used to make a really nice pair of leather-look field boots that were under $100. Mine lasted for years, were comfortable, and easy to get on and off. I even showed in them...nobody knew the difference.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05