The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dallas Horse Stuff?

I will be traveling to Dallas, well Plano but landing and leaving in Dallas next week for work. I will have a lot of free time and was wondering if there are any cool horsie things to do. Tack shops? Anything?

Dover Saddlery is in north Dallas.

nothing

but Ft Worth has the stock show going .... NCHA Cutting Classes will be going

http://www.fwssr.com/?page_id=28

A trip to Los Colinas to see the horse sculptures. APHA has nice paint sculputres too.

You really should try to go to the Stock Show, but it's about 50 miles from Plano. The Mustang Show is Thur, Fri and finals on Sat. The Donkeys and Mules show Sat and Sun (26th and 27th).
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Shoot, there's TONS to do in the DFW area.

Are you into Western or English? Also, what kind of food do you like? (lots of great stuff in the area!)

I lived just north of Dallas for awhile and loved it. There is a LOT to do. You can also visit farms if you can schedule it--see some really cool stuff!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

The stock show is really fun if you can make it. Typically some horse stuff every day, but if not I always love looking through the livestock barns and there are a ton of good vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Shoot, there's TONS to do in the DFW area.!
    The area is the same size as the state of Connecticut; yes there is plenty to do but as an actual event .... limited.

If OP has transportation and wants to road trip from Plano just go up to 380 go west to 377 then north... nearly everything on 377 is horse stuff

If you go up 377, there is also the mega-Walmart of horse stores, Paul Taylor. Not much English stuff but pretty much everything else!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have to agree, go to the stock show if possible. The rodeo is every weekend, so go enjoy!
    The stockyards (nearer to downtown Ft Worth) has a cattle drive daily at 1130 and 4.
    I agree about a trip to Paul Taylor, They do have and "english" room now, but still not much in it. It does have great deals on everyday stuff... I was just there yesterday and spent wayyy too much money!

Paul started that store because his kids were showing 4H classes and they couldn't find the tack they wanted... the "store" was out of his garage for years, then he built the free standing building and has added on three times I believe they are still closed most all of August every year.... if you go a mile or so north there are a few more Vetline is on the rigth then sort of across the street is Sergeants Western World

another option, tour the horse farms in Denton, http://www.dfwandbeyond.com/tours/sh...e-country-tour

Enjoy your visit :-)

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys, you gave me a lot to look into!

BuddyRoo, it's funny you asked that because I really wanted to ask about cool restaurants and other stuff but wanted to keep it horsie in nature. I love all food! I am sure there are some great restaurants in Dallas.

Clanter, Sergeant's isn't there anymore. It's now Denards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Clanter, Sergeant's isn't there anymore. It's now Denards.
    oh the days pass, humm 2008 ... LOL ... our western gears sure lasts a long time

Do consider drive time when making your plans. Getting from Plano to Ft. Worth can be an enormous time commitment. And, BTW, if I may brag, one year MY barn was featured in the Denton barn tour! -- not because it is big and fancy but because it is efficient and clever.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I grew up in Plano, actually, so I can maybe be of some help! There is the Dover store off of Coit Rd and Campbell. I haven't been since it was Newmarket saddlery so I can't tell you anything about the new store.

Food I can definitely help with! I can not come home and not eat at Javier's in Dallas. It's Mexican, but not like tacos and nachos... More like amazing steaks and seafood. Gourmet mexico city I believe they call it. You will definitely need a reservation. If you enjoy cigars, they also have a nice cigar bar in the back. Seriously don't miss this when I go home.

Plano itself has a great Italian place called patrizzio's right around park and Preston. Love that one! The shops at legacy have some fun restaurants and bars, too.

I believe there is another tack shop in Plano but I don't know what it's called. It's in a strip mall off of Parker rd by the tollway.

Have fun on your trip...and say hi to my parents for me!

Cindyg, totally nosey, what is your farm?

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Cindyg, totally nosey, what is your farm?
    I don't have a farm, just a backyard barn. It's only 24 x 24 on 2 acres. But it really was included in the Denton barn tour one year. It was the token poor-man's efficiency model.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden