The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Where can I find an affordable bridle for a hard to fit pony?

So far the cob sized bridle that I have, was too big, and my pony bridle was too small - it was mainly the throatlatch that wouldn't reach. Any ideas on where I can find one that fits? I don't really show, so it doesn't have to be pretty, just safe and functional, oh and cheap!

Tredstone makes a fairly nice one for around a hundred bucks that I have and like pretty well. Most tack shops (or online tack shops) will let you return if you just try the bridle on to see if it fits. (smartpak might be your best bet)
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

I what way was the cob too big? If it was just that the cheeks were too long, that is an easy fix for any place that does leather repair, I just have mine shortened from the buckle end. I get this done at an Amish shop for ~$5, but it shouldn't cost that much more even at a regular repair shop.

Christa

Whose last horse needed oversize with 2" shorter cheek pieces, and the current horse that needs horse size with 2" shorter cheek pieces.

Horze has Pony, Shetland, Cob, Horse, Large Horse, Draft (or something like that) in most of their bridles, and I have been VERY happy with the quality, even on the $17 Madame bridle! (Well, $17 with the 50% off code HAPPYNEWYEAR)

They have measurements listed on their website.

Take both bridles apart. Mix and match parts from bridles until you have something that fits. Maybe ask on the giveaways forum if you need parts. There used to be some on-line place that had a variety different sized parts, and you could buy a bridle with the various pieces sized exactly as you needed.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

1 members found this post helpful.

My Arab wears a yearling sized Hamilton halter. Schneiders Premier bridles are about $45 and the cob size fits him perfectly.

Try justbridles.com for different size parts. I know Aramas, Edgewoods, and a few other will do different size parts.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

JustBridles.com sells bridles by the piece so you can custom fit the entire bridle. They carry bridles in various price points too, so you should be able to find something decent and still stay within your budget.

Beval swaps out bridle parts as well, and they too have bridles in every price point, plus their annual sale is coming up in February where all the bridles will be 20% off.

Perhaps try the Smartpak Plymouth Bridle. The second review says the pony bridle throat latch runs large so this might work for you. Probably the best quality you're going to find for that price, which is $54. Smartpak hands exceptional customer service and free return shipping if it doesn't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post
    Perhaps try the Smartpak Plymouth Bridle. The second review says the pony bridle throat latch runs large so this might work for you. Probably the best quality you're going to find for that price, which is $54. Smartpak hands exceptional customer service and free return shipping if it doesn't fit.
    Both the Horze bridles I have are significantly nicer than the lower end Smartpak bridles.

If it is just the throat latch, see if you have an old flash attachment laying around and see if it's a match. I altered a bridle for my mule headed WB in that manner. It's not a strap that is stressed when used, so it was fine patched together like that by the leather guy.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Hit up a consignment shop for a bin of bits and pieces to make a bridle that fits. Or play shuffle the pieces with your current bridle until you have one that fits.

I want to mention that if you try the Smartpak Plymouth bridle mentioned above, the cob size runs small. I would call Smartpak with measurements for your pony. They may let you mix and match pieces--or since the bridle is inexpensive--you could order one cob and one pony size and mix them yourself.

You may find that the cob size fits your pony as is. The bridle is very good quality for the price. This is probably just what you want.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne