The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default thinking about relocating near greenville, SC... questions...

My husband and I are seeking a warmer climate than that of the Northeast...plus a State that is more friendly to our personal liberties than NJ...

We have heard Greenville SC is nice. What's the horse scene like there? I would need to board until we built a barn (unless of course we buy something with a suitable barn already built.) I have my OTTB that I would like to show someday (although he is on the slow track to success...) and my daughter rides, although we lease a pony in our current barn.

Anyone have any input on the area? Places to steer clear from...places to gravitate towards? We like the small town, slower way of life kind of feel, but still need to have jobs to support our hobbies. I dont need a top of the line barn, since I dont really have the funds to show the A circuit all the time.
    A knowledgeable trainer in a positive atmosphere....

Any input would be great. Thanks so much.

I'm relocating to the area in May/June (may possibly live in Greenville and commute to Spartanburg), so I can't give you much help but I'll be watching this thread.

Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

LOL maybe if we move, I'd have a fellow COTHER to ride with! LOL

Tryon (about an hour north of Greenville) is a hoppin' horsey community! Lots of great barns and facilities - too many to list. Great small town feel with lots of amenities. Bit on the pricey side but worth it! I actually live closer up to the Asheville, NC area so can't really say what it's like to live there, but definitely worth checking into!
    "I'm not strange, weird, off, nor crazy. My reality is just different from yours."
    ~Lewis Carroll

Thanks, will check that out too. We are planning a road trip in March to scope out the area

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    My husband and I are seeking a warmer climate than that of the Northeast...plus a State that is more friendly to our personal liberties than NJ...

We have heard Greenville SC is nice. What's the horse scene like there? I would need to board until we built a barn (unless of course we buy something with a suitable barn already built.) I have my OTTB that I would like to show someday (although he is on the slow track to success...) and my daughter rides, although we lease a pony in our current barn.

Anyone have any input on the area? Places to steer clear from...places to gravitate towards? We like the small town, slower way of life kind of feel, but still need to have jobs to support our hobbies. I dont need a top of the line barn, since I dont really have the funds to show the A circuit all the time.
    A knowledgeable trainer in a positive atmosphere....

Any input would be great. Thanks so much.
    I'm a Jersey girl in SC now. If you are looking to buy and build check out Travelers Rest, Simpsonville, or Greer. If you are looking for board the smaller private farms are better bang for your buck IMO. There are some nice bigger facilities.. but from what I have noticed there is a high rate of turn around in barn managers, trainers, and owners of some of these. And for the price of board they aren't up to my standards when I could pay half price for a backyard place and really get customizexd care. However, Top Call seems like a nice place. Don't know anything about owners/trainer but they have a rider bootcamp I was thinking about trying out just for something fun to do. I don't push myself enough! LoL.

If you don't mind a 30 min or so commute Anderson, Pickens, Seneca, and Piedmont have awesome land and prices. Coming from a NJ budget at least. Be aware its an hour to 2 hour haul to A shows. But Tryon is awesome. And as a former Hunter Princess.. take advantage of the amazing trail systems here!! They are so much fun and a relief from the ring. It was worth me buying a horse JUST to go on 5-6 hour trail rides .. and those are short ones
    Zippos Kryptonite (Reno) 05' AQHA
    Little Miss Understood (Indy) 01' Appaloosa
    The Unturned Stone (Chase) 11' AQHA
    ~ Rescue Mom to: Hope, Ciara, Charlotte, Ace, Knox

You might want to PM JP60. He's from around those parts.

THANKS EVERYONE! i will look into all of your suggestions... city ponies.. thanks for the info!

myalter, not only is it a lovely area, but I might be able to help you with housing :-) One of my (way-) former students raises lovely warmbloods and last I knew, had a small farm for rent/lease/possible sale. Please PM - or better yet, e-mail me if you're interested. And I'll forward her this thread. Here's the link to her farm (not the one that might be available) http://www.flyingchangesfarm.net/

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

ccoronios, what's your email?

If you're on Facebook, check out the BRHJA page- it's the page for the local show circuit. Someone on here mentioned Top Call- those ladies are great and do both local and A shows- they have several horses for sale/lease on the BRHJA page, so that might give you some indication of the caliber- I also recently saw a picture from Boot Camp. If you're not on Facebook, go to www.farmhousetack.com and they have links for local barns. The Upstate is beautiful and the horse scene is great!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Do the ladies at top call have a website? I googled it but didn't come up with anythin

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I can personally recommend Top Call, pm me and I will give you their numbers.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Unhappy Greenville

You have my greatest sympathy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow coco. That's not nice. At least yOu could explain why you don't like it instead of just being mean.

Greenville has really changed a lot over the years. I've lived there since 1995 and seen a lot of positive changes. I would recommend looking at the upper part of Greenville county, around Travelers Rest and maybe around the Campobello area in Spartanburg county. Travelers Rest has the trail head for the Swamp Rabbit trail and is trying very hard to be an artsy, outdoorsy city. The downtown has seen a lot of new local businesses move it just in the last few years.

Campobello is pretty much rural, you'd be looking at a 20 minute commute in to Greer for anything city-like, but if you want land this might be a place to look that is less expensive.

Downtown Greenville:
    http://www.greenvillesc.gov/EconDev/...n/default.aspx

Falls Park in downtown:
    http://www.fallspark.com/

Swamp Rabbit trail:
    http://greenvillerec.com/swamprabbit

Arts scene in Greenville (regular open studios, etc)
    http://www.greenvillearts.com/

Travelers Rest:
    http://travelersrestsc.com/

My favorite event of the year- Fall for Greenville
    http://www.fallforgreenville.net/

Moved to SC from CA in 1992 to go to Clemson (http://www.clemsontigers.com/) and haven't left yet. And, in addition to all these great things, we are pretty centrally located so it doesn't take that long to get to Atlanta, Charlotte, Aiken, etc etc.

1 members found this post helpful.

2o min drive is nothing.. We have to drive 30 minutes to find a mall where I live now

Tryon is a wonderful horsey area! It isn't that far from Greenville! Greenville has lots of nice restaurants and things to do. Tryon has lots of good quality B rated shows. Many of the A riders will come to those shows. Lots of barns and trainers - just depends on what you are looking for. Great vets in the area, as well as top notch surgical clinic at Tryon Equine! (Hope you never need it, but nice to know it is there!) Good luck!

Awesome... I already checked to see if there we're horse chiropractors in the area. I can remove anywhere without one of those of my guy would hate me forever!