The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gear bags and custom boots/gear in general? Advice needed

Hi all, I'm new here
    (after prowling for a couple of years I finally decided to join).

I have been looking for a nice set of gear bags for a long time now and haven't found any that I really like. I looked at ariat, dover, even centaur and equine couture Granted, I've never seen dover gear bags in real life so I guess they could be really nice?

I'm just looking for a good quality, really nice set of gear bags I can haul off with me to bigger shows. My tack box really isn't accessible/neat(coat gets crinkled, bridle gets twisted, etc.=sadpanda Do you guys have any experience with a set of gear bags? what brand are they and what colors do they come in?

Also, I'm due to head off to college soon and have been putting some savings aside for some years now to get a really nice pair of custom boots as a graduation present to myself I've saved enough for the Tucci boots I have been admiring(contacted the store I would get fitted at) and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with Tucci boots. I don't live close to the store at all so I don't want to go just for it to be a total bust. Are they comfortable? long lasting? Wearing? I want something I *could* ride(and only ride not wash horses/do stalls/etc) every day in(after all, shouldn't you be able to if you pay that much hah). I take good care of my boots(never saddle soap/oils, damp cloth and cream/polish) and my current shelf boots are holding up fabulously(lots of wear, wash horses in them even though I shouldn't :x)

I also looked at parlanti and fabbri, this tack store has fabbri boots but I personally did not care for the design/construction much from what I can recall.

What about Parlanti? I see a lot of pros wearing them. Does parlanti have a crystal option?

Any advice/experiences would be very helpful for my 'quest' in investing in the perfect boot for me

Thanks!

I've gotten various bags and saddle covers from Dover over the years. The quality has been fine, and the color and monogram options are extensive. They are very functional, and mine have lasted a long time.

P. S. Welcome to the BB!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Yes, welcome!

I have also ordered my custom gear bags from Dover through the years - I get the lined ones - and have been quite happy with them. They have tons of color options, and do a nice job with the monograms as well. That said, I have switched to Baker gear bags in recent years. They wear like iron and what can I say; I love that Baker plaid fabric! (Also happens to be in my barn colors of black, taupe and cream, so that worked out, LOL.) They're pricey, but last forever.

With respect to the boot issue, I treated myself to new Tuccis this year and LOVE them. Love, love, love!!!!! I have several other pairs of high end boots (Vogel, DerDau, etc) but the Tuccis are the prettiest, and they broke in quite quickly. One thing that I think makes them stand out is their very unique measuring process. I've been measured for customs quite a few times, but never like that - it took about 45 minutes, and was super detailed. When the boots came, they fit like a glove from day one. Everyone in the shop was admiring them!!

Happy shopping!!!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

The dover bags have worked well for me, but don't get the deluxe garment bag, I have a friend who has it and it is bulky and I hate it, the only thing is that the fleece attracts shavings really well but other than that, they're functional, reasonable and perfectly nice.
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

I don't have gear bags, but I do love tuccis. I personally don't own a pair yet, but they are gorgeous and from everything I've seen and heard, well worth the money. Parlantis are very nice, but don't hold up quite as well.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I have bags from SmartPak (saddle cover, garment bag, helmet bag, boot bag). I was able to get them in my barn colors, and the monogramming was free when I had the order shipped to the barn as part of the barn buddies program :-)

I'm not nice to them but they seem to be wearing quite well.

I was given Tally Ho gear bags, including the coat bag, boot bag, bridle bag and the saddle bag almost 10 years ago and they still look great. Nicely lined on the inside, and it has a heavy duty zipper. Don't really know where they were purchased from, was a gift, but they are definitely worth a look.

I have a complete set of the unlined Dover bags that I bought in the 90's. They are all still going strong after being tossed around for years.

I have a wide collection of Dover and Smartpak and Tally Ho bags. All look nice and wear well. I prefer the Tally Ho and Smartpak ones, mostly because my main color is navy, and I find the shade of navy blue in Smartpak's line to be prettier than Dover's. I agree, go for the lined bridle bags and boot bags -- worth it. Many of these bags have been going to horse shows for 12+ years now, and they still look great.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

I have a mix of the lined Dover bags (I like the black with flax, which is a stock color) and Baker bags. If you've got half chaps, the Dover bridle bag works nicely for them. I do my own embroidering on the Dover bags and they turn out great.

The Baker bags are very nice and I love how they don't show dust, but they are an investment. If you get a saddle carrier make sure your saddle fits in it - anything above 17" or with a very forward flap could be a challenge (translation - none of my saddles fit in my Baker saddle carrier, but it looks pretty sitting in my tack room).

I'm not-so-trendy when it comes to custom boots - I have Dehner dressage boots (which will probably outlive me) and am considering having a non-dressage pair made by Kroop. I have custom Pinnell half chaps, which I dearly love, and they are my go-to for everyday riding.

And yes, welcome
    Last edited by TrakHack; Jan. 18, 2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Forgot my manners

I have had a pair of Tuccis coming up on 3 years now. Amazing boots and great customer service! I had an issue with a zipper when I first got them and "fixed" them to get me through a show….long story short they ended up needing to be fixed again. I took them back to the store and Tucci took them back free of charge despite my previous fix. They even re-soled them with on-tyte for me! I still get compliments on them they look lovely even after 3 years and fit really well. I got the T-grip option, I know some tack stores don't carry it as an option but I quite like it, they should (fingers crossed) last me forever.

As for the gear bags…my mother bought me a boot bag from Red Scarf Equestrian (http://www.redscarfequestrian.ca/Products.htm) at the time I thought it was a little over-the-top but they are quite nice bags.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakHack View Post
    ...and am considering having a non-dressage pair made by Kroop.
    Do they make tall boots?? I've had two pairs of paddock boots from them that have lasted forever!

I love Kensington. I think that's what it's called. They are very durable and can be monogrammed. I think Dover and smartpak has them, ariat is my second favorite brand. A bookbag for around the show grounds would be the Grand Prix bookbag, awesome!

I have Kensington in SmartPak Blue, in every bag they make (except the boot since I don't have tall boots yet). I didn't get monogramming in case I wanted to resell some day, but I did attached 7/8" custom monogram stamped silver dog tags to the zippers with S hooks. I LOVE the bag they make too and use it daily for stuff to/from the barn plus at shows. It wears SOOOOO well. The bridle/garment bags, etc are nice and plush. And I love the plaid and it doesn't look like everyone else's

I haven't got a set of gear bags ... though now I'm thinking of looking for some

As far as boots go ... I wear these and receive compliments all the time. I replace one pair about once a year because I wear them all the time. They are reasonably priced, so I have opted to have two pairs ... one for everyday and one for show days. To be honest, this is probably unnecessary, but I am bad for not taking good care of my boots so they get worn a little quicker with me than with most people. Anyway, they broke in nicely and feel/look like custom boots:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/tredst...TopPick-_-9485
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Do they make tall boots?? I've had two pairs of paddock boots from them that have lasted forever!
    Yes, yes they do, with prices starting at $535: http://www.kroopboots.com/products

I wanted more detail than what is on the website so I sent an email, and got a very fast response from Randy.

^ Interesting- thanks!!

I just wrote a blog post about Oughton Limited. They are the best bags!

Great deal right now on a Fleece Lined Saddle Bag:

http://www.tackoftheday.com/ProductD...18-tally-saddl

Do you want custom bags or heavy duty all purpose bags?

Tally Ho does great customs.

I also have this Roma bag and LOVE it for shows. It fits a bunch of stuff!
    http://www.horsefroogle.com/product-p/81868.htm

I have it in a tan plaid which was pretty. Not sure if they come in that color anymore though.