The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanket shopping...shark-fin withers, mesh lining TO sheet?

Okay. Decided to go with a high neck midweight. Now...where can I find a sheet that will comfortably fit a shark fin withered TB that has the mesh lining? I know a lot of people don't like them, but I do, and since we aren't going to have massive shedding, I'm not too worried about horsehair mice.

I really like the Weatherbeetas, but I'm not willing to spend over $120, preferably over $100. I found one at Schneider's, but A. They only have two colors, and B. They are unavailable until late March.

I like the Rider's International line, but how are they for high withered horses?
    Last edited by runNjump86; Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:22 PM. Reason: new question

I buy the best quality lightweight turnouts (no fill) that I can with detachable neck covers, then add liners to bulk up the warmth as needed. Can make anything from a 100 gram light-medium to a 400 gram super heavy weight, plus you protect the neck if its clipped. I use Rambo's but bargain shop for them. Works well with our barn of thin skinned race babies, eventers and polo ponies

What Sportinghorsepolo said - get a good turnout sheet (maybe in a highneck version), and then get a liner that you can layer under it if you need it.
    I'm especially fond of these liners from Schneiders: http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...anket-liner_2/ - they're just the right weight (not too heavy), inexpensive, you can launder them at home, and I really like that they don't have any hardware, so they minimize the potential for rubs. The slot system for legstraps also does a great job of holding them in place (without the need for hardware), too.
    They also don't hold hair the way polarfleeces do, and don't seem as static-y to me, either.

(Of course, polarfleece sheets make decent liners, too.)

All the ones that offer detachable necks are midweight or heavier blankets. Where did you find sheets that have them?

Quote Originally Posted by sportinghorsepolo View Post
    I buy the best quality lightweight turnouts (no fill) that I can with detachable neck covers, then add liners to bulk up the warmth as needed. Can make anything from a 100 gram light-medium to a 400 gram super heavy weight, plus you protect the neck if its clipped. I use Rambo's but bargain shop for them. Works well with our barn of thin skinned race babies, eventers and polo ponies

If your horse is body-clipped, you need several layers. If money for waterproof gear is limited, I would start with a high-neck waterproof sheet (horze.com, Rhino, Weatherbeeta, etc.) and add stable blankets as needed underneath. Some good blanket liners from Schneider's (sstack.com) or I like Amigo stable blankets. Definitely get the high-neck sheet for the top layer though, it keeps water from running down the chest & shoulders way better than a standard-cut sheet. I'm not huge on hoods personally, I find that between the blanket & hood attachments they put too much pressure on the withers & mane - but plenty of other people like them.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I have the high neck fleece lined sheet from Horze. It's fantastic quality and provides just a bit more then a sheet and just a bit less then a midweight blanket. However, the high neck part kind of scrunches down as soon as they roll. It does still keep the rain out though.

My horse has an apron clipped so she isn't clipped all the way up her neck.

New question!

Not sure why you are so stuck on mesh lining ... I'd go with the horze sheet (which is nylon-lined) if you don't want to shell out for a better brand. They are definitely cut with a lot of "shape" for withers and a cresty neck but are rather untested when it comes to longevity.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I like the breathability of the mesh lining. I like the looks of the Horze sheets, but my horse will destroy anything under 1200D.

Not mesh, but just as good IMHO, having had both types, is the Bit of Britain high neck turnout sheet. It fits my shark-finned TB mare very very well, not pressing down on the withers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post

I like the Rider's International line, but how are they for high withered horses?
    My TB has some serious withers on him. I've had several Rider's International blankets and sheets for him. They do OK-- the best I've found for the price range for him. Although I can notice by the end of the season that the hair at is withers is the tiniest bit rubbed.

Weatherbeetas, on the other hand, fit him AWFULLY. He HATES them.

Schneiders Euro fit rub his withers like crazy.

He has an Amigo Bravo 12 that fits really well and doesn't rub.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I just ordered a Smartpak deluxe t/o sheet...I will let you know how it does

I am really happy with the Weatherbeeta Orican sheets, and if you bargain shop, you can find one in your price range
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I am really happy with the Weatherbeeta Orican sheets, and if you bargain shop, you can find one in your price range
    that is what I am looking for and am only having luck finding ones with fill or not his size
    on sale. I will keep searching though!

I own this, and really like it: http://www.smithbrothers.com/smith-b...-24262/cn/700/

Its under $100, tough and doesn't shift or rub.

My horse doesn't have shark fin withers, but the way the neck fits, I bet it wouldn't be a problem
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Mesh lining lover here.

Took me forever to find a new one but last year I got a Pessoa mesh lined t/o sheet (in a beautiful royal blue with navy trim) and it fits my high-withered TB beautifully. She rolls around in it all the time and it barely has even a scratch on it. Very tough material and I'm extremely happy with it. I got it on TOTD for $89, and it's worth noting that coming from having only Weatherbeeta blankets the sizing on the Pessoas seem to run a bit large in comparison (WB's 75 is more like a Pessoa 77) so keep that in mind.

Weatherbeeta does not currently carry anything with mesh linings, and Rambo stopped making mesh lining things recently.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Not mesh, but just as good IMHO, having had both types, is the Bit of Britain high neck turnout sheet. It fits my shark-finned TB mare very very well, not pressing down on the withers at all.
    While I don't have the shark fin withers issue, I just got the highneck mediumweight from BoB and like it. (Pony doesn't have high withers, but we have issues with sheets sliding back and getting too tight across the chest - the high neck seems like it helps minimize the sliding.)

Sadly for the OP, they're only available in 600D and have a slick lining. The Hug turnout sheets from Dover have the mesh lining, but I don't know what the fit on a high-withered horse would be like - though my old guy did fine with one, and he didn't have much topline.