The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have the largest brenderup and I tow with a Ford Expedition. That won't help you, though! I used to live in Europe and folks routinely towed these type trailers with sedans/wagons/small suvs. I believe there was a max speed limit for them, also they didn't usually have to tow far for a show or lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
    I have the largest brenderup and I tow with a Ford Expedition. That won't help you, though! I used to live in Europe and folks routinely towed these type trailers with sedans/wagons/small suvs. I believe there was a max speed limit for them, also they didn't usually have to tow far for a show or lessons.
    the speed limit for towing vehicles in Europe is generally around the average speed limit for all traffic in the US, or higher. 80km/h to 100 km/h with the top quality tires in Germany. France has very strict speed limits....so that is not the argument.
    and while people generally do not haul far, traffic is much denser, topography more taxing than some places in the US.

The trailer is made to be hauled with the smaller vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2010 Ford Explorer. Used to use an E150 van (passenger-configured van built on a F-150 chassis.) We have a two-horse ramp B'up that is probably twenty years old now. I am not the driver, my father is, but he's hauled a lot of short-and long-distances, mostly with the van, and says he's never had problems with swaying or wind, even hauling a load of furniture in it over the Blue Ridge and down the east coast to Florida. Did a long haul of a horse and hay here with the Explorer with me riding shotgun, and no problems (it even turns on a dime, relatively speaking, making pulling it up at the barn a snap even with a relatively narrow area to turn around in.)

I have a Brenderup 2 horse Baron and tow with my Toyota V8 Land Cruiser. The trailer pulls great and you sometimes can forget it is attached.

Never had any problems yet with trailer, it is a 1996 version and I hope to keep it for several years to come.
    Friend of bar.ka

My herd: Ellie-ottb hunter & Hope, appy pony and babysitter extraordinaire.

Baron TC, hauled with Acura MDX.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

Quote Originally Posted by TuxWink View Post
    Gerut, how do you like towing with the Q7? I just bought a VW Touareg, which is similar to the specs of the Q7 but not as long and it has a slightly larger 7700lb tow capacity. I'm planning on purchasing a Brenderup Baron this year and would love to hear how it is working with your Q7 and if you added anything on to it for towing.
    TuxWink, The Q7 has been great with my Baron TC. It came with the tow package and I had to add nothing more than the hitch and a $25 part for the light connector. It rides beautifully up and down the hills of Virginia. I think you will be very happy and safe with the combination of of your Touareg and Brenderup!

The Toureg should have plenty of capacity. I haul with my Acura MDX and whether I'm on the freeway or going up the Santa Monica or San Gabriel mountains, it always hauls beautifully.
    Savannah Custom Scrapbook Design. For horses...and people, too!
    www.savannahscrapbooks.com
    www.thislifeblog.com

I own a 2h Titan, but I've towed my friend's brenderup a good number of times. Like you, I had a 328i and I wasn't a truck girl, so I went on a "nice looking mid-sized SUV that hauls" mission that wasn't too much $$.

Happily found my 2007 GMC Envoy Denali- they don't make it anymore, but it's a v8 and tows 6600 I believe. It tows like a dream and I pulled quite a few before buying mine (and still fits in the garage). Love love love it!

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps68c486b3.jpg

My neighbor and I were having a towing discussion the other day & it got me thinking...

What sorts of elevation changes do Europeans who pull Brenderups (or the like) with sedans have to deal with? (I've been to Europe, but did no car travelling: just trains between countries/cities.)

To get from here to Flagstaff, I'd have two significant climbs to get from about 1000' here in the valley to approximately 7000' up north.

Would I really fry a V6 SUV's transmission pulling a brenderup with a 1k lb horse once or twice a year?

Totally unrelated question, but I can'r remember...was there ever a Solo with the InstaTack?
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    My neighbor and I were having a towing discussion the other day & it got me thinking...

What sorts of elevation changes do Europeans who pull Brenderups (or the like) with sedans have to deal with? (I've been to Europe, but did no car travelling: just trains between countries/cities.)

To get from here to Flagstaff, I'd have two significant climbs to get from about 1000' here in the valley to approximately 7000' up north.

Would I really fry a V6 SUV's transmission pulling a brenderup with a 1k lb horse once or twice a year?

Totally unrelated question, but I can'r remember...was there ever a Solo with the InstaTack?
    Daydreambeliever saw them in Switzerland. Does that answer your question?

The road up to my Uncle's house is STEEP. That means of course you need a car with the giddy-up to make it up that hill. But sedans - at least the European one () certainly have that.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    The Baron One is a single horse Brenderup with Instatack dressing room.

It has the same stall dimensions as the Solo - it is a few hundred pounds heavier than the original Solo trailer.

Hard to find used, but might be of interest to you ~
    Inese

[QUOTE=Alagirl;6795407]Daydreambeliever saw them in Switzerland. Does that answer your question?[\QUOTE]

Yes. Thanks.

I don't believe it would be a problem, but neighbor does. I would hazard to guess, so do many people who read CotH.

Quote Originally Posted by Inese View Post
    The Baron One is a single horse Brenderup with Instatack dressing room.

It has the same stall dimensions as the Solo - it is a few hundred pounds heavier than the original Solo trailer.

Hard to find used, but might be of interest to you ~

I will keep an eye out.

I'm trying to not make a hand in the blender decision, as my horse van is supposed to come home this summer and then I won't want/need a trailer.

And, I swore I wouldn't buy anything but a GN in the future, should I get another trailer.

But...

I have a Royal HB. I pull w/a Durango. It does a great job, decent power going up steep hills.
    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!

[QUOTE=rivenoak;6797730]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Daydreambeliever saw them in Switzerland. Does that answer your question?[\QUOTE]

Yes. Thanks.

I don't believe it would be a problem, but neighbor does. I would hazard to guess, so do many people who read CotH.
    wweeeeeellllllllllllllllll

there are people, who have never seen one up close, nor driven one who believe them to be death traps ad you ought to pull everything with at least a Peterbuild

I tow with a 6 cyl. Chevy Trailblazer. I did upgrade with a HUGE transmission cooler. It tows well and I've hauled through the mountains with it. I LOVE my rig.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truck.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	37559  

Brenderup Baron TC owner. Towed 1st with an Infiniti QX4 (added aux transmission cooler), F250 7.3l diesel, then an 04 Land Rover Disco (my fave combo) & currently a GMC Yukon.

Not a problem with any though the QX4 was under powered in the mts. when the trailer was fully loaded.

Sorry to pull up an old thread, but...

I'm looking at a Brenderup trailer right now. I drive a Chevy Suburban 1500 Z71 4X4. This combo would work, right?

Easily

janiemerle - I pulled a Featherlite aluminum two horse with a 1500 Suburban, then a Moritz steel 3 horse slant stock combo. Not more than 2 horses with the 1500 Suburban though. Upgraded to a 2500 Suburban with that steel trailer. Now I tow a Rice (similar European trailer to Brenderup) with my 2500 and can't even tell the trailer is back there. You should be fine with a 1500 Suburban. I wouldn't hesitate to tow a regular 2 horse trailer with that vehicle, properly equipped.