The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brenderup Owners - What do YOU Tow With?

I'm hopefully buying a Brenderup soon and am researching suitable towing vehicles for them. I am interested in knowing what current (or previous) Brenderup owners use as a tow vehicle and what they like/don't like about it, how it handles the trailer, how it is on the freeway, on windy days, etc.

I have started making a spreadsheet of towing vehicles with their specs., and so far I'm leaning towards either a Toyota 4Runner or Highlander. One caveat of a new vehicle, though, is that I'd desperately like it to fit in my garage, which could be tricky. I live in the city, and in an old house with the original one car garage. My current car (a BMW wagon) fits in there perfectly, but without much room to spare. Comparing my BMW's dimensions to the various dimensions I've compiled on my spreadsheet, it turns out my car is really small! I've never thought of it as a small car before, but I digress...

I'm somewhat doubtful I'd get a 4Runner in there. I think I could get a Lexus SUV in there just fine, but like to stick closer to a 5,000lb tow rating.

Anyways, I'd love feedback on what YOU use to tow.

I have the one-horse, and we tow with a tiny Chevy S-10 pick up truck. The truck is smaller than the trailer, and it scares me. I don't go far, long, fast, uphill, or in weather. (LOL) But the truck has not complained; nor have we ever had any problem.

Looking forward to getting a bigger towing vehicle someday.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by kisstherain View Post
    I'm hopefully buying a Brenderup soon and am researching suitable towing vehicles for them. I am interested in knowing what current (or previous) Brenderup owners use as a tow vehicle and what they like/don't like about it, how it handles the trailer, how it is on the freeway, on windy days, etc.

I have started making a spreadsheet of towing vehicles with their specs., and so far I'm leaning towards either a Toyota 4Runner or Highlander. One caveat of a new vehicle, though, is that I'd desperately like it to fit in my garage, which could be tricky. I live in the city, and in an old house with the original one car garage. My current car (a BMW wagon) fits in there perfectly, but without much room to spare. Comparing my BMW's dimensions to the various dimensions I've compiled on my spreadsheet, it turns out my car is really small! I've never thought of it as a small car before, but I digress...

I'm somewhat doubtful I'd get a 4Runner in there. I think I could get a Lexus SUV in there just fine, but like to stick closer to a 5,000lb tow rating.

Anyways, I'd love feedback on what YOU use to tow.
    what size BMW?
    in the 80s my uncle towed with a mercedes 240, diesel.
    My dad had a 240DL Volvo. neither was a wagon.

Something in that size range will work!
    Friends towed with a subaru wagon, not sure the model

Brenderup style trailers are designed to be pulled with sedans. You use an SUV or truck you might have to adjust the hitch so the trailer sits level, and not going uphill.

Currently my dad drives my sister's big volvo wagon. I think it's an S 70, but not sure (even though I sat in it recently, I forgot to check )
    BTW, Sis had 2 17h+ WB geldings....cousin had a 17h+ WB looking TB gelding, plus the road up to the farm was STEEP!

My other cousin pulls her steeds with the big mercedes SUV, I am quiet sure she also has big horses.

if your wagon is big enough, you could fit it with a hitch and be on your way

(I forgot the Peugeot 505 we had in 3 versions...Diesel, not wagons...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I have a Baron two horse that I haul with a 1999 Toyota v6 4runner.
    I only hual one horse and it seems to do fine. It could use more power going up hills. I have never hualed two horse's and i am not sure that I would want to. The 4runner has never had any mechanical issues because of hualing. When the 4runner needs to be replaced i will buy something more powerful. On the interstates where I do most of my driving I have never had a sway issue or any problems when the big rigs pass me. We really like the Brenderup it hasnt required anything more than routine mantinence in the last 6 years we have had it.

I tow mine with my Miata -- I can't even tell it's there, it's sooo awesome!!! (Ok, sorry, I couldn't resist a joke)

Dammit, I was going to say that about my honda civic.

*sigh* You beat me to it, wildlifer.

1 members found this post helpful.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee, V8 Hemi, factory tow package

Audi Q7 diesel - 6,600 lb towing capacity. It's long, though

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    what size BMW?
    i
    I've got a BMW 325i, which has rear-wheel drive. Even though I think it meets the requirements of "suitable tow vehicles" on the Lucas & Liebe website, I wouldn't dare tow anything with it. Perhaps if I were only going/parking on asphalt, but that car gets stuck all the time if there's mud, snow, soft ground, etc. Plus, from what I have seen, I can only get a "class I" hitch for it.

Believe me, I wish I could tow with it!

I've got a BMW 325i, which has rear-wheel drive. Even though I think it meets the requirements of "suitable tow vehicles" on the Lucas & Liebe website, I wouldn't dare tow anything with it. Perhaps if I were only going/parking on asphalt, but that car gets stuck all the time if there's mud, snow, soft ground, etc. Plus, from what I have seen, I can only get a "class I" hitch for it.

Believe me, I wish I could tow with it!
    LOL, no, I think it's a bit small for that purpose. Too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

In before all the "you can't safely tow with anything less than a 1 ton dualie" crazies

1 members found this post helpful.

Though I sold mine two years ago, I towed it for 7-8 years w/ a Tahoe, w/ tow package. Worked great, and I was towing a 1200 lb horse, in a moderately hilly area. Loved that trailer!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Quote Originally Posted by gerut View Post
    Audi Q7 diesel - 6,600 lb towing capacity. It's long, though
    Gerut, how do you like towing with the Q7? I just bought a VW Touareg, which is similar to the specs of the Q7 but not as long and it has a slightly larger 7700lb tow capacity. I'm planning on purchasing a Brenderup Baron this year and would love to hear how it is working with your Q7 and if you added anything on to it for towing.

With a 2006 Saturn Relay (minivan), upgraded with a transmission cooler. Greenie (the family minivan) tows the Bup about the way she does everything else; not particularly powerfully or classy-feeling, but she gets the job done safely and predictably, day in, day out.

I was towing with an 05 F-150 but recently upgraded to an F-250 (although not specifically for that trailer). It hauled beautifully with both trucks.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Towed my Brenderup Solo with a Volvo S70 four door sedan for 6 years. Had 278,000 miles on it when it was replaced by an S80 Volvo sedan (sedans have 3,300 lbs tow rating). I am now driving a Volvo XC90 SUV and still towing the same Solo trailer (5,000 lbs tow rating).

My XC90 is a bit wayward in high cross winds (without a trailer). It seems to get better and more stable with the horse trailer attached. The bigger engine on the XC90 makes highway merging and cruising effortless. My biggest complaint is the 12 mpg when towing ~ and I live in the cornlands of Illinois LOL!

Since I commute 90 miles to/from the office each day, I need a vehicle that is comfortable, safe, reliable ... and can tow my Brenderup on weekends. The Volvo line of vehicles fills my needs very well..
    Inese

Towed with a 4Runner but never really liked the trailer. Got a 2h now that I tow with our Tundra.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Diesel F250 supercab, as it's the truck I have...it wouldn't fit in your garage.

I had the Baron TC model and hauled it with a 2007 Grand Cherokee V8 Hemi. I crossed the Great Divide with it many times and no problems. I had power to pass also. No issues on interstate driving either. The Brenderup felt like it wasn't even there. I loved it.
    Snowline Sport Horses
    http://www.snowlinesporthorses.com
    Breeder of Hanoverian horses

I towed by former Brenderup Royal TC with a GMC Jimmy and then a Suburban.

One solution to the garage problem is to see if you BO will let you leave your vehicle and trailer parked at the barn.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com