The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cowboy boot recommendations?

I'm in the market for a new pair of shoes primarily to wear to work. I wanted a pair of fashion cowboy boots but after seeing the prices on the style I am interested in I am thinking I should just buy a pair of actual cowboy boots that I can also ride in if I choose! What I am looking for is:

- black
    - pointy toes
    - very comfortable to walk in
    - preferably under $200
    - durable, hope to get at least a few years of wear out of them

Don't worry, I'll wipe them down before going to work if I wear them to go say hi to my horse. Our dress code is business casual, if that helps.

If you have a recommendation, please share! Thank you
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Something in a Justin or an Ariat, is my suggestion.

1 members found this post helpful.

Love love love my Ariat Fat Baby's...They are beyond comfortable, clean up well enough that no one even knows they've spent more time in a barn then any where else!
    I've had mine for almost 2 years and spent 8 months wearing them every day, they've held up perfectly!

ETA: I ride English so I've never ridden in them but for walking/working I love them!
    Last edited by Seriously_Hunter; Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM.

I love my Justins. I have the round-toed waterproof "Gipsy" ones. I wore them constantly at work, at the barn, etc. for the last year, they're still awesome, and going strong. $90 on amazon

You are a little limited in that price range. Justin, Ariat, Dan Post and Tony Lama are your best bet. Look on ebay for used boots if you don't mind going that route as you sometimes stumble across a great deal. My Dan Post end up being my go to boots for some reason.

FYI - Although the Fat Babies or Pro Babies by Ariat really are great for stomping around the barn in they are not exactly safe riding boots.

Justins

You won't regret it...wear 'em all day long and they are so comfortable!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Depends on your feet.
    Basic Justins and Ariat in cowboy style boots run a bit narrow, which is not very comfortable for other than narrower feet.
    In those price ranges, Tony Lamas are wider generally.

Cowboy boots were not made for walking much or very long.

Look more for the crossover types, with thicker soles and more room in the boot than narrow, pointy toes.

Best is to try several and see what fits best to you.

i am a cowboy boot fanatic and i can say that if you ride with your boots regularly (and are in the barn) you probably won't want to wear themto work. Dan Post and Justins (and Dingo) are what is available out here off the rack, they have a variety of colors. I think you'll be well under $200.

I am a Tony Lama girl for my "real" boots because they last so damn long and are so comfortable. Had one pair for 28 years (resoled a zillion times, finally had a giant hole by the ankle I duct taped!) just had a new pair custom made and they are fabulous!They were $275 and worth every single penny.Must.have.comfortable.feet.

For fun, wear to work, parties and so on, I check thrift stores regularly! I am picky about my dancing boots (must have slick leather sole) and I have gotten several from yard sales and second hand stores (or, as others suggested, ebay, but would not get my real riding boots there). My husband has a pair of Nocona boots he likes (can't remember what they cost, kind of ugly IMO) and of course, if money is nooooo object, Lucchese makes a nice boot too!!!

Good luck! fun search!!

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post

FYI - Although the Fat Babies or Pro Babies by Ariat really are great for stomping around the barn in they are not exactly safe riding boots.
    You are correct the the Fat babies are not for riding, but the Pro Babies are made for riding. I have a pair of Pro Babies, as well as a pair of Show Babies, and love them. They are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn!

Ariats are definitely very narrow, but I have narrow feet so I love mine I don't know if I'm a little strange, but I have 3 pairs of western cowboy boots (excluding all my english riding boots) all for different purposes:

*Brown Ariat "gettin' fancy boots"
    *Black Justin "gettin' fancy boots" (you know, for my black outfits )
    *Brown and neon green Tony Lama 3R boots that that I ride in... I just looked on Tony Lama's website and it appears that they discontinued the neon green 3Rs
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Another vote for Ariat. But I have wide feet, and still like them, so I'm obviously the exception that proves the rule.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Maybe a bit more than you want to spend, but I really love my Boulets.

Just got my second pair after wearing holes in the first (wore them nearly every day for 6 years, in all kinds of weather, through snow, and occasionally to the barn). Getting them resoled so I can keep kicking around in them, they're great.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Justin ropers. My fave. I had a pair for 10 years before I had to buy another.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I work in a westernwear store (with boots), and if you came in my store, I'd lean toward showing you Dan Post and Twisted X boots. You didn't mention what your first interest was, but both of those should come in under your price ceiling and still give you some fashion-y options, since it sounds like you were looking for something with a little look to it, not just plain black.

Also, PLEASE be sure to go to a store that knows what it's doing and get sized. Western boots don't fit like regular shoes, so the boot that fits is going to feel different at first and your correct size may not be what you think it is!

Good luck and happy shopping!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

I have a pair of ariats that I LOVE. Super comfortable and were quick to break in. I wear the same size as regular shoes in my Ariats.

Love my Justin boots. I buy the men's equivalent of my size because there "narrow" is wider. I have Ariats and Double H as well but the Justin boots are just the most comfortable.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    i am a cowboy boot fanatic and i can say that if you ride with your boots regularly (and are in the barn) you probably won't want to wear themto work. Dan Post and Justins (and Dingo) are what is available out here off the rack, they have a variety of colors. I think you'll be well under $200.

I am a Tony Lama girl for my "real" boots because they last so damn long and are so comfortable. Had one pair for 28 years (resoled a zillion times, finally had a giant hole by the ankle I duct taped!) just had a new pair custom made and they are fabulous!They were $275 and worth every single penny.Must.have.comfortable.feet.

For fun, wear to work, parties and so on, I check thrift stores regularly! I am picky about my dancing boots (must have slick leather sole) and I have gotten several from yard sales and second hand stores (or, as others suggested, ebay, but would not get my real riding boots there). My husband has a pair of Nocona boots he likes (can't remember what they cost, kind of ugly IMO) and of course, if money is nooooo object, Lucchese makes a nice boot too!!!

Good luck! fun search!!
    PLEASE tell me where you get custom Tony Lamas for $275?!?!?!?!?!?!
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Not pointy toed, but I love my Double H boots. Super comfortable, easy to break in, sturdy boot that is still attractive and can ride in them.

Love, love, love my Justins. Not a pointy toe boot person though. Can't find a pair of Ariat cowboy boots that are narrow enough for me (which is strange, since their tall boots fit my feet just fine).
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I love my Justin Gipsy, not pointy toes, but I wear them daily, and all day. My feet are a tad on the wide side, so I got mine a 1/2 size bigger also to accommodate thicker sock in the winter. I would wear them to work if I wanted to clean the mud off. I would not recommend ridding in them, but I would do it if I "had" to.
    I hate ariats. They kill my feet.
    I also love my Dan Post for go out in boots. They are pointy toes, but not for less than $200. I bought them on 6pm.com for $100 less than other retailers.