The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What a disgusting day.

We prepared for a "hot zone" and went out armed for bear to clean up Dove and flush her abscess holes.

I apologize to all the people who like a good goo spurt, as I did not get photos or video of what, exactly, happened when I applied some pressure to the disgusting mess that is under her jaw. Just picture a small vanilla pudding cup pouring--nay, ERUPTING--forth and you'll be close enough.

This (warning--still pretty icky) is what we got to. That little pouch holds about 35 ccs of goo. And since it's winter, she had about four inches of chin hair, which was, of course, covered in sticky, drying goo. (I'm really not sure how to clean my clippers. Any input? I figure the blades are toast. Wipe down the body well with chlorhexidine solution? Bleach? Nuclear weapons?) I have never been so eternally grateful that my vets trust me enough to prescribe a variety of tranqs and have taught me how to use them.

She still has enlarged lymph nodes up in the throatlatch, which we will be watching. Hopefully they will just resolve and not burst and drain.

The good news (?) is that her right front is less filled and hot (although still not normal) so I suppose that one point for me.

The baby horse (now three, technically, since she is TB) is bright and eating but oh-so stocked up in all fours. We're talkin tree trunks. Chatted with the vet--this is what the "A" list earns you...the vet's personal number and a response to your texts Saturday night--who wants her on some banamine for a few days. Sigh.

IN OTHER NEWS, the old lady horse is not sick, does not look like she is going to get sick and is blissfully just fine right now, thankyouverymuch. At least one of them is. (She has already earned her A list status.)

Booze makes everything better, though!!

The blades are not toast! At the vet clinic after we had clipped a blood/pus covered area we removed the blades and cleaned them in warm water and soap to remove the "goo". Then treated them with the regular blade oil. Chlorohex or bleach on the body of the clippers would be fine- don't forget to wipe the electrical cord too!

Keep on keeping on!!!

I'll give that a try, SLW! Thanks for the tip!

Iiiiiick, how's everyone feeling?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Oh, gross. Poor Dove! We had a strangles outbreak at a barn where I worked in college, about half of the 50 horses came down with it, but only 3 actually abscessed. It is definitely icky.

Jingles for all, hope she heals quickly and without complication!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Such a thrilling description of strangles abscess cleaning! Made me want to take an immediate bath with bleach in the water.

Hibiclens is pretty good stuff for external holes.

You've started 2013 off with true 13 luck. And just think. For those of us cursed with bad luck in normal years, this one still has eleven months to go.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

1 members found this post helpful.

Oster makes a spray disinfectant that kills most Staph and Strep organisms, most beauty supply stores sell it. Runs about $7.00 a can.

Well, Dove must be feeling alright because she ran around like a lunatic when I tried to catch her today. Her throat looks perhaps even more gross, but it's draining very well and there seems to be less drainage, period. It looks healthy, I suppose, and she let me poke around and flush it with no sedation which is certainly an improvement. And the right front looks fine, so hopefully that was just a whack and it's now better.

Even Seven, the youngster, is looking pretty good. Her stocking up is well managed by just getting her out into the pasture during the day, so we've been able to avoid NSAIDS.

Things seem to be looking up (I am saying that very quietly, very cautiously and while furiously knocking on some wood! )

Viney, I did pick up a gallon of chlorhexidine (love that stuff!) and have contemplated bathing in it. I still might before all of this is over!

csaper, thanks for the tip on the spray stuff. I did clean my clippers today and was able to find some.

Oh, and pictures for those of you who like looking at such things:

Ew
    Gross
    And disgusting

Nice pics Simke. thanks for those. LOL

Jingling for a quick recovery over there!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Awesome pics! Hope things continue to look up. FWIW bladewash works wonders and wont rust them.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

More disgusting pictures!

Oozing!

Gooey!

Dove feels just fine and refused to be caught again today for about 15 minutes.

Seven's fibrinogen is dropping and she got more Excede from the vet today.

Blush, the old lady mare, is coughing. Sigh. Fingers and toes crossed that it's nothing. I do not need another horse with strangles. :P

Simkie, thanks again for the pics sharing your misery. I was able to educate LMEqT on what strangles is and what it looks like. Hope things turn around soon for you!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Blecch. Fingers crossed for the rest of 2013 to be kinder to you and your herd!
    Click here before you buy.

EqT, I wish I had pictures pre-cleanup for you! That depressed horse with the hanging head and drippy, gooey chin hair is what *I* visualize when I think of strangles. I'm glad that the gorey abscess shots are useful, too!

Here are more for you!

Signs of healing

Another view of the hole

The scabbing and drainage had occluded the drainage holes, so Dove had some goo packed in there today. Ew.

Who thinks the hair will grow back in white? :P

(Getting her done at all today was nearly skipped, since it was this windy at the barn.)

I hope you've packed the next five years' worth of vet crap into this month. My first OTTB mare came to me with a raging case of strangles, but I didn't get any cool oozy holes. I'd just as soon not ever have that fun again.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Head. Desk.

Blush is now sick.

SIGH.

No way! Jeez!!!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Crap! Dislike! Red thumbs down!
    The Evil Chem Prof