The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oh, just FML. Seriously.

This has not been a good winter.

First we had the two year old with the massive internal abscess that has still not resolved.

Then we had a lymphoma scare with the cat, and then that same cat was lame requiring another vet visit.

Then the vet said my off the track mare, Dove, needed IRAP for a stifle problem.

Then the older dog had a little lesson for the younger dog (my up and coming conformation ring prospect, natch) and put a half inch laceration in her face. Late Saturday night, with a house full of people. Five stitches.

And now! The piece de resistance!

(Pause for dramatic effect)

Dove has strangles.

A rip-roaring, gooey, gross, draining mess of strangles.

SIGH.

This is it, right? No more crazy bullshit? Please?

O jeeze! Your luck has got to turn around sometime soon! Hopefully the strangles will be an easy normal course and cleat up soon.

Hope you all can figure out what is going on with the 2 year old!

Default Oh ! MY ! ~ JINGLES & AO and ((hugs)) and thoughts and prayers and a case of Scotch

OH MY ! I am so sorry !

Jingles & AO and ((hugs)) and thoughts and prayers and a case of Scotch or your favorite adult beverage ! and and some fancy appetizers ~

and some ice cream ~ that always helps ~

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh boy, sorry to hear that.
    Isn't bastard strangles internal strangles? Maybe the two years internal abscess is related to the other's? I could be totally confusing the two.
    Maybe you should buy a lotto ticket, your luck has got to get better.
    Heres hoping for a quick recovery.

ZuZu, I am DOWN for the scotch. Currently working on a very lovely gin and tonic, but some scotch would work even better.

Chall, the internal thing precedes the strangles outbreak at the barn by a goodly margin and Seven has never shown any signs of real, actual strangles. It's far more likely that we're dealing with an internal pigeon fever with her. Joy.

(The GOOD NEWS is that the two year old--three now!--seems to be tolerating her antibiotics just fine [knock on wood] and it's exceedingly unlikely that she'll get strangles as she is vaccinated and also on some seriously high powered antibiotics.)

1 members found this post helpful.

Major major jingles!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Jingles... I so understand.. I have had the negative barn fairy at my house for wayyyy too long.

There is a saying; If everyone put their troubles in a big pile you would quickly grab yours back.. I could share my last few decades of horse woes with you and you would feel much better... It's just been so unreal - - so much so when the vets treat one of my horses they say "Only your horse!"

I have been told by vets to write a memoir about it but it would take years to complete and I am too busy doctoring horses LOL....
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh, believe you me, double s, the vets say "only your horses!" to me, too. They also say "only your dogs!" and "only your cats!"

I'm a big believer in preparing for the worst and hoping for the best, but all too often, that preparing bit comes in handy

Oh Simkie, you do not deserve this luck!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

So sorry to hear I'm in the same boat with all my animals & find that alcohol really helps. Sadly!!! I wonder what I've done to deserve this & you are probably thinking the same? All I do is try to provide a wonderful home for all my animals & give them great lives....someone out there doesn't want me to enjoy it that's for sure!
    Chin up & hope everything gets sorted soon

Oh no! Hoping Dove heals quickly and well. It's definitely more than your turn for a break!

Wow, any one of those incidents is plenty. Jingles and good luck to you. The universe owes you decades of smooth sailing after all of this!
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Well, the good news is that Dove is still bright and eating well despite the incredible grossness that is draining out of her jaw. The bad news is that her right front is all blown up and hot. I have no idea why and there's very little I can do about it right now, so we're just watching and waiting. Hopefully she just knocked it and it will resolve on it's own.

Sigh.

Hang in there! Sounds like an awful spate of veterinary issues (and I know a thing or two about these strings of bad veterinary luck). Wishing you the best and hoping the r.f. swelling is just a fluke.

Oh good gravy! What next? I hope nothing!

I'm sorry to hear all of this is happening.

I guess the good news is that with strangles, you're probably in better shape than with the other issues. At least that will likely resolve. I can recall when we moved to our new house (this was back in 94) and all but 1 of our 7 horses got strangles. What a mess. But everyone survived and while gross, it worked out.

Best wishes and many jingles to you.

I'd send you good scotch if I could afford it. For now, can I just give you a cheers with a beer?

Best wishes.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Simike, the things you will do to be an "A" list client with your veterinarians!!
    Hang in there and hope things stop happening ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Simike, the things you will do to be an "A" list client with your veterinarians!!
    I think I will adopt that too.. we are simply "A" list clients....
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    I think I will adopt that too.. we are simply "A" list clients....
    I figured that it was NOT a good sign when I got two Christmas cards from my horse vet. I have probably paid for at least one of her scuba vacations by now.

Simike - hope things start to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I'd send you good scotch if I could afford it. For now, can I just give you a cheers with a beer?
    Cheers with a beer are appreciated! Let's just bring all the booze and have a party! I think we all need a good party.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    You think if I just write the vet (or vets, actually, as I have a few of them) a hefty check in the beginning of the year, I will have paid my dues and be free of complicated veterinary matters for the duration? Because that's something I'm willing to consider...

I know as far as crazy crap goes this is relatively benign...gross, sure, but not usually a problem long term. Although, because it is MY HORSE, my vet and I have already discussed complications. Sigh.

Default Looking in on you ~ Saturday Jingles and Sunshine and more more more Scotch !!!

Looking in on you and sending

Jingles laced with
    sunshine and more and more and more Scotch ~

Honestly would send you some SCOTCH ```` indicate your address ~ it could only help !

Jingles & AO for a slightly boring Saturday !
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"