The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Using aloe juice to dissolve Ranitidine kills the active ingredient?

soooo,

I thought I would try giving my OTTB zantac.

He won't eat ANYTHING. He hates treats. If I put MSM in his food he won't eat it. Picky SOB. lol.

So I have been dissolving tums and zantac in aloe juice. It's sits in the aloe juice all day.

Then I have to add molasses and put it in a syringe and force it down his stubborn throat.
    It actually works really well that way. Turns out he LOOOOVES molasses.

Any info on weather or not soaking the zantac in aloe all day kills the active ingredient?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I believe Ranitidine is light sensitive, so I wouldn't leave it out all day, especially once all crushed up. No idea on the aloe juice though, sorry!

I would be interested to find out. I ordered the blue pop rocks and while waiting for them to get here, have been using aloe juice and an antacid. Luckily for me my horse eats both on his feed.

I wouldn't leave the pop rocks in the aloe juice as they specifically say not to soak, but that's because they have the enteric coating. Does the Zantac need to dissolve in the intestines too, or is it supposed to break down in the stomach? Maybe that will help figure out the answer?
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

I'm finding via google that it is moisture and light sensitive.

There is such a thing as Zantac Effervescent which must be dissolved in water before ingesting.

very curious!!
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Does your horse have ulcers? If so, I would suggest that it is best to spend the money treating the ulcers with medicine designed for that (Pop rocks seem to be the cost-effective recommended product)...the rest just covers them up for now.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

There really is no need to soak Ranitidine pills in aloe juice all day anyways. May I ask why you feel the need to do this?

Use a coffee grinder or small food processor, throw the number of pills in that you want to use, grind. Then, mix this powder with molasses, syringe, and be done with it. No need to soak in anything.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SolarFlare View Post
    Does the Zantac need to dissolve in the intestines too, or is it supposed to break down in the stomach? Maybe that will help figure out the answer?
    Ranitidine doesn't require an enteric coating or buffered paste. Administering crushed pills won't negatively effect the way they are supposed to work.

You could probably ask a pharmacist. Maybe rockfordbuckeye can answer--she's an uber-pharmacist.

My personal feeling would be to not tempt fate and just give it mixed with water. Aloe juice is 99% hype anyway.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Ranitidine doesn't require an enteric coating or buffered paste. Administering crushed pills won't negatively effect the way they are supposed to work.
    Thank you - I haven't used ranitidine before. Will be starting the blue pop rocks today as they finally arrived.
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

I read that Ranitidine is sensitive to light, moisture and also I read that it should not be crushed.

I'm assuming that it is light sensitive when left out for weeks. I can only make an assumption that the moisture reference is due to the fact that the candy coating will start to dissolve when wet.

As for soaking all day. It's easy and takes ZERO time. Ya just throw them in there and then go about daily bizz.

I changed the routine and dissolved the tums in aloe juice and then crushed the Ranitidine just before feeding time. Added it all together and shoot! : )

Zantac is absorbed in the stomach. So this statement makes sense to me:

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I read that Ranitidine is sensitive to light, moisture and also I read that it should not be crushed.
    I don't see why crushing would be an issue, because there is no enteric coating to begin with???

FWIW, I was administering 12, 300 mg Ranitidine tablets twice daily, and I crushed them using the method I described above (I used one of those small magic bullet blender things with the flat blade and it demolished those tablets up into a nice powder in seconds), then I just sprinkled it on her alfalfa mash, stirred, and she consumed.

I did see a noticeable difference (improvement) in her demeanor (and she has had ulcers confirmed by scope in the past) so I am not convinced that crushing them would render them ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Does your horse have ulcers? If so, I would suggest that it is best to spend the money treating the ulcers with medicine designed for that (Pop rocks seem to be the cost-effective recommended product)...the rest just covers them up for now.
    While I cant argue that gastrogaurd is shown in small studies to heal ulcers faster than ranitidine, I see no reason ranitidine doesn't still have a very valuable place in equine medicine and management. Ranitidine actually can "heal" ulcers in a similar fashion to omeprozole (by raising the pH of the stomach acid to similar levels, >6, for the duration of the dose), therefore ranitidine doesn't "cover up" ulcers any more than gastrogaurd. The difference is in how the drugs achieve the reduced acid (PPI vs H2 blocker), but the intermediate result in the stomach of less acid is the same. Trust me, if Merial was selling ranitidine under a trademarked name with exclusive rights, they would be telling us it "heals ulcers" too! But there is no money in ranitidine (most of us buy it at Costco or Walmart), so no crazy advertising to get sucked into.

The interesting thing about ranitidine, that is noted in studies where continuous pH monitoring was performed, is the effectiveness of the drug varied considerably between horses at lower doses (<5mg/kg) and still varied but less so at higher doses (>6.6mg/kg). This is important for the horse owner to understand, because while ranitidine may work well at treating ulcers for one horse, it may not be as effective for the next horse. With that said, due to the relatively economical cost of ranitidine, I see no reason why the OP should not try a course of ranitidine with her horse to see if it is effective for her goals of either ulcer prevention or reduction/healing.

I personally have had extremely good luck using ranitidine both post-gastrogaurd (as has been shown effective in reducing recurrence in studies) and as a stand alone preventative. My horses get routine scopes to check. I even had one horse that made no improvement in his ulcer scores after 2 months of gastrogaurd, then was totally ulcer free after 3 months of BID ranitidine and aloe juice. We even did more traveling/showing during the ranitidine months. Go figure, right?

Below is an interesting study where they compared free choice hay in a stall to pasture and the use of ranitidine in the prevention of ulcers during feed deprivation. It's amazing how quickly horses develop ulcers!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8915437

I would suggest that it is best to spend the money treating the ulcers with medicine designed for that (Pop rocks seem to be the cost-effective recommended product)...the rest just covers them up for now.
    Ranitidine IS designed for treating ulcers! Before the days of omeprazole the class of drugs to which ranitidine belongs were GAME CHANGERS in treating ulcers. Hugely effective. Yes, PPIs are stronger and more effective still, but on a scale of 1-10 if PPIs are a 10, H2 blockers (ranitidine, etc.) are a 7 or 8.

The drugs do not "heal the ulcers" directly. The body does that. The drugs reduce the acid so healing can happen more quickly. The only drugs that "cover up" ulcers, really, are carafate-type products. And they also do that by design--covering them up can help, too. If by "covering up" you mean "masking symptoms" then yes, that can happen, generally with antacids and the like. But given the fact that ulcers heal even without being treated, sometimes no treatment is actually not the end of the world.

I still would just not bother with the aloe juice. If you're giving a very effective drug, adding things simply because they might help (and might not) is superfluous.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have found that hiding pills in fig newtons is easy and most horses love fig or apple newtons. They have that soft filling and you can just shove the pills in there.

StG

I have one on 14 tabs (150 mg) three times a day. We put them in the grinder, mix with a bit of water and put into a 6cc syringe. Pop into his mouth....thats easy!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Fig Newtons are a great idea! We use Stud Muffin cookies. They are soft as well an can be used as pill pockets.

Unfortunately, this guy won't eat any treats. I've shoved a peppermint horse cookie up into his mouth once or twice. He spits it out on me.

He's been on the zantac/tums stuff all week. I have had the two most wonderful rides yesterday and today. And he's eating all of his food too...which is an improvement.
    But it's hard to know off of only a few days.