The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best winter underwear for pudgy old ladies

Just what the title says. I've been wearing my Vermont Country Store silk longjohns till they are falling off in tatters, cotton longjohns just aren't roomy enough in the right places, my trainer says Underarmor, which I'd try if I thought they'd fit - that pesky low rise thing.

I'm overweight, almost obese and I need a longjohn that'll let me get my leg up as high as I can (not high, trust me) so I can get on the pony without having to a) find a mounting block, or b) do standing at the mounting block training each time (although that is in the cards).

Ill go with an all in one breech too,I have checked out the Womanly sized riders thread, just my head is spinning right now trying to figure out what will work. Right now I wear a loose 38 waist, 36 is snug, 33 inseam and I don't think anybody wants to see the junk in my trunk so hi rise if at all possible.

I hope someone out there can point me to what works for them.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

If it's not to gawdawful cold I like Cuddleduds, otherwise i like UA or Equissentials PolarTec

I do use a mounting block
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Default Would full chaps be an alternative ?

I wear two pairs of jeans while doing barn work to stay warm AND this allows me the option of stripping down a layer when necessary...

When I ride or jog a pony I usually remove the outer baggy pair of jeans and LL Bean duck shoes and put on my full chaps and paddock boots....

Being "vertically impaired" i can not find a pair of those coveralls that fit size and length

Just throwing out some ideas ~

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Both Kerritts and Irideon make cozy winter breeches in plus sizes, either full seat or knee patch. I live in mine in winter. The Kerritts run a bit larger. I've seen them on sale at some places already:

http://www.kerrits.com/Equestrian-Ap...ech-26p151.htm

http://www.toklat.com/dyn_prod.php?p...25SALE&k=82209

Whatever it is, it has to stretch. I can get my foot up to the dining room table top, 30 inches off the floor? but that's with loose pants and my silk undies. My nylon bib ski overalls are a bit too tight, I can get my foot up to the chair but after that I have to hang on to my leg with my arm, and the pony isn't the most cooperative guy, this will be the first ride in months for him and we've been working on his ground manners hard for 10 days, 9 work days actually, we're essentially putting him though 60 days' training/refresher, anyway he's a real pill when he wants to be, and having me hop around with one leg in the air would amuse him no end.

Anybody tried the Jockey smart thermal leggings? Kohl's has them, in XL and they run a size big. I've Kohl's cash and promo discount so I ordered a pair.

I looked up some of the breeches mentioned on the ladies' thread and OMG, if they've got the XL size it's close to $200. Just not in my budget right now.
    Incredible Invisible

The Kerrits look nice, and a bit more affordable. I like that knee patch winter bootcut version. I'll have to start hunting for sales.
    Incredible Invisible

Cuddl Duds! I live in mine from November through April! My husband got me 4 more pairs as a gift in November and found them at Sears for only about $12 per piece. My first pairs are 5 years old and while a little worn and stretched out still very serviceable.

Cabelas has a heavyweight silk turtleneck and bottoms. Very comfortable. Comes big enough and long enough. Big fan here.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default L.L. Bean should have long underwear in many fabrics for ALLwinter 'sports' ~

Check out L.L. Bean online `` they appear to have many types of long underwear in many fabrics ~ all stretchie ~ for all types of winter sports ~

Cabela's! DH uses their visa card and we, well, HE, has tons of points. I'll have to see whether he'll spare me some, that's a great hint for our family.
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Hot Chillys work for me - 1st pair is going on Year 5 and looks new despite frequent washing.
    Not the softest fabric if you're used to silk, they feel like lightweight cotton - but amazingly warm and thin.

I also have a pair of Patagonia winter breeches that are at least 15yo and warm as toast. Not sure they make them anymore.

ZuZu:
    Can you fit in a Child size Carhartt (or Dickies or ....?
    A larger Boys size might work & bonus: cheaper than the adult ones!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I bought some silk long-johns (tops and bottoms) from Land's End quite a few years ago. I don't need them often, but they come in very handy on those really cold, raw days. They are very lightweight, so I don't feel all bulked up in layers of clothes, they have really good insulating properties yet are breathable, plus are stretchy and non-binding. I have put on weight since I bought them, but have no problem putting them on, or in moving around - including putting my foot on the table.

I wore them everyday when I was going to northern Germany during the winter - we were constantly going from a heated car to standing outside in the bitter cold looking at horses, to going inside those cozy German homes, and I never felt cold when we were outside, or too warm when we were inside. They are a great item for winter wear.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Cabela's! DH uses their visa card and we, well, HE, has tons of points. I'll have to see whether he'll spare me some, that's a great hint for our family.
    That's what I was just going to suggest.

I just bought this shirt from Cabelas. It's a men's medium, I am 5'3'' and an unfortunate 140 right now . The medium is loose/baggy but comfortably so for a person who hates the "compression" style that most quality thermal tops are now. Hello, it's about insulating and keeping warm air next to the skin, can't do that with a sausage casing. Anyways, this shirt is the BOMB. Inner layer is a pattern of raised soft squares, so there is room for air to collect and warm, and it's so soft it's literally like wearing a blanket. I've worn it at work a lot, where I've normally worn one thermal shirt and a t-shirt over that, plus my duty vest and uniform shirt. Not only am I warm, but I'm dry, which is a biggie since we can be dying in someone's 80* apartment one minute and out directing traffic in 40* the next. There are days in the winter where I am freezing because my undershirt is soaked in sweat from something else, and it's miserable. Hasn't happened ONCE with this shirt, I'm just toasty all the time .

I got this one too, in a women's medium, but haven't had a chance to wear it yet because it has those thumb hole things, and a. no pink clothes at work and b. I don't want to ruin the sleeves/hands/things at the barn. It is the same style, a little heavier in some spots that need "extra" insulation and thinner in others (armpits) to allow sweating I guess. I keep meaning to go to the range and shoot, and wear it then...maybe this weekend!

I realize you are looking for pants, but if the pants are like the shirts...go for it! I didn't get pants because shirts are more important for me for a variety of reasons. FWIW, I have the Kerrits winter breeches that I don't think they offer anymore, thick material and not very stretchy, not sure how tall your pony is, but I could get on a 15.2h mare from the ground with some bouncing and effort...and they were WARM. I've worn the regular bootcut microcord breeches under jeans at the barn as well and been warm .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I snagg a lot of my son's hunting clothes. If you are on Cabelas look at the "Wader" pants. They are sweat/fleece pants to go inside boots. They have stirrups at the bottom and you can layer under or over them. Actually great for riding in.

I also like Cuddle Duds. They are light and non-binding as well as pretty inexpensive.

1 members found this post helpful.

Another vote for silk long johns from llbean. And they come in plus sizes....

Cabelas stuff is majorly on sale right now!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Women...3Bcat216163980

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Women...3Bcat216163980

Three times the points on those right now too...

I know! I am ordering more of those black shirts I posted earlier, and maybe another one in polar weight with the hoodie and some pants! Sure am glad there is another horze code so I can save there and spend here!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I have a Cabelas gift card sitting right here tempting me right now- it's COLD here!

My 2 favorite items - Irideon Windpro breeches (well worth the price) and my $20 pair of Rocky brand fleece long johns I picked up at Walmart. I will never get cold in those long johns! I just throw a pair of lightweight nylon windpants on over top of them, and I can do barn chores for hours!
    It killed me to buy my first pair of Windpros, but now I own THREE pair! I hardly ever remove them during the winter months. If I could only own 1 pair of warm riding pants - I'd take them, hands down.
    Cindy

Default Soft Hijack ~ 2DogsFarm ~ Thank you for the suggestion

Soft hijack ~

2Dogs Farm ~ thanks for that suggestion I'm a bit over 5'5" so definietly out of that child section ~ but appreciate the idea ~