The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Medical Bracelet rule change proposal

Has anyone else read/commented on this?
    https://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/401-14.pdf

I was looking through for something else this morning, and came across this. It would, effectively immediately if passed, allow medical information to be integrated into the bracelet. I left a comment saying how much I agreed with this proposal, as it is actually more practical than requiring online access.

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    Has anyone else read/commented on this?
    https://www.usef.org/documents/ruleChanges/401-14.pdf

I was looking through for something else this morning, and came across this. It would, effectively immediately if passed, allow medical information to be integrated into the bracelet. I left a comment saying how much I agreed with this proposal, as it is actually more practical than requiring online access.
    Hey look, a proposal I agree with! (Unlike the endorsed bracket creep one)

2 members found this post helpful.

This appears to be fixing the loophole from before: under the prior rules, you could either have all information on your armband or a link to online access on your bracelet. This lets you have all information on the bracelet (so the bracelet is a smaller version of the armband). Makes a ton of sense and opens the door for other manufacturers' bracelets beyond RideSafe.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSpots View Post
    This appears to be fixing the loophole from before: under the prior rules, you could either have all information on your armband or a link to online access on your bracelet. This lets you have all information on the bracelet (so the bracelet is a smaller version of the armband). Makes a ton of sense and opens the door for other manufacturers' bracelets beyond RideSafe.
    Thank God because this is how I did my bracelet as I thought the old rule was dumb. All my info is on that plate.If you access a site, it will still only have the info on the plate. Glad this is going to change.

3 members found this post helpful.

I bought a RoadID bracelet to wear at events, lessons, trail rides, XC schoolings, etc. a few months ago. I have my name, birth year, three emergency contact phone numbers and a line letting them know I have no known drug allergies. I never liked the idea of the arm band and it seems like a HIPPA violation. With the bracelet, EMT's can easily access your information without the risk of showing all your personal information to anyone that walks by.

1 members found this post helpful.

It does interestingly rule out the ability to insert a medical form into the "pocket" on vests. I had mixed feelings about that, especially with the vests that the cards rested low on the spine.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I don't think that was ever legal, was it? It always had to be on your arm, I thought...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Can't see a reason to do, with great expense and technological complexity, what has up to now been dirt cheap and no-brainer easy.

Except that someone has something to SELL . . .

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    I don't think that was ever legal, was it? It always had to be on your arm, I thought...
    You're probably right. I spend more time at unrecognized horse trials than recognized.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Has this passed? I am thinking about Christmas gifts for a few friends if it did.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Can't see a reason to do, with great expense and technological complexity, what has up to now been dirt cheap and no-brainer easy.

I like the change, but I fully agree with your view. 10 bucks for a piece of plastic and a piece of paper that is worn, on average, 6 times a year? As a programmer I thought the website option was over the top (what happens if they cannot access the site), had possible hippa issues, and was a solution more looking for a problem.

Still in all, choice is good. I'll stick with my card though all this reminds me I need to update my information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post

It allows people the option- you can still go with the armband (which you also need to buy unless you want to make your own) and paper if you like. What is the downside (and $20 does not seem like great expense to me)? Of course, someone has something to sell- that is the case with just about everything required for a horse trial. I am failing to see the big evil here
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

The benefit of the wrist bands is you can wear them year round for lots of sports, as opposed to the arm bands. My husband and I both have them for biking, riding, and running alone on roads. I used to wear my arm band, just to carry some ID, but it was a pain.

4 members found this post helpful.

I recently bought a RoadID for myself. The intention is to wear it when I trailride and foxhunt (if I ever get back to that).

I ride with a number of different people who know me but don't necessarily know DH, let alone his phone number. I also have DH's parents listed as another alternative in case he doesn't answer.
    My co-riders would have no idea if I have allergies or not. Maybe one day I will bother with the interactive so I can update current meds.
    I even occasionally ride alone.
    I find the medical armband a bit uncomfortable for regular trail rides and it would look out of place foxhunting. Most emergency responders are used to looking at the wrist for medical alert bracelets so it makes sense to wear it on the wrist.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I bought one too for the same reason - trail riding, schooling, hiking. The armband is uncomfortable and doesn't stay put so I never wear it doing recreational things, plus it doesn't have all the info I would want (primary care doc? Don't have one. Emergency number for the horses? That I do want).

If it remains nonlegal for showing that's ok. I am finding it nice peace of mind hacking out etc.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I wear my RoadID 24/7. Honestly, last time I flew I thought, "Hey, if the plane goes down, I am pre-tagged." Is that sick?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    Has this passed?
    After starting this thread, I'm left wondering the same thing. We've seen information on other rule change proposals that were passed--or not--but I haven't seen anything about this one.

Has anyone heard anything about this passing? Or know where on the USEA site to look?

I got the Ride Alert bracelet and really like it. I wear it a lot when trailing or schooling alone. I also got one for my DD at college who runs marathons and she wears hers constantly.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Buildingthegrove.blogspot
    The Grove at Five Points

Quote Originally Posted by JenEM View Post
    After starting this thread, I'm left wondering the same thing. We've seen information on other rule change proposals that were passed--or not--but I haven't seen anything about this one.

Has anyone heard anything about this passing? Or know where on the USEA site to look?
    It has already been approved , and is in effect for 2015.

See the 2015 rule book.

https://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2015/13-EV.pdf

EV113.3
    If wearing a medical bracelet, any relevant medical history, injury (particularly to the head) drug allergies and current medication must be included in the online medical form of the bracelet’s vendor website or integrally in the bracelet.
    Last edited by Janet; Dec. 11, 2014 at 07:58 AM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I thought the question for this set of rule changes was whether they would be allowing bracelets with non-online versions. Janet?
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama