The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone out there do a BN clinic with Lucinda Green...

...this past year? Yep, just stuck the check in the mail for the one in Aiken end of January. Videos would be greatly appreciated! (and positive thoughts! )
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I audited one of her clinics at BN, N and T many years ago and found her delightful.

Very open, positive and encouraging, lots of good info, very confidence building.

Would not hesitate to clinic with her.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

She is very good and I really enjoyed the clinic I did with her.

My experience is that she does not ease into things and build up but rather starts with combinations of jumps. So I would say make sure you are warmed up properly when you start.
    People often confuse ideology with knowledge and thoughtful reasoning.

2 members found this post helpful.

Practice skinnies.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Practice skinnies, weird lines and barrels! You will have a blast, she is excellent and also an extremely interesting person to listen to! Google/YouTube lucinda green, cross country the safe way for videos of her teaching. I did the one in Ocala last year and will be going again in January...

Default The most astute horseperson there is!

My daughter has attended her clinics 4 of the past 5 years - she is awesome! And was my idol when I was a young pony clubber in the 1970's! At the clinic this year, new horse and daughter weren't communicating well - Lucinda suggested a bit change, from her "bag of tricks" that travels everywhere with her - and instant super results - so much so that they went on to have a very successful season. Would recommend her in a heartbeat.

If you value straightness, you might reconsider.

I understand that there are many who like her clinics, but her basic values are so different from mine (and to those of the instructors whose theories I follow), that I would not recommend riding with her unless you've watched one of her clinics -- in person, so you can see the whole thing play out. Otherwise, you might find yourself in a situation that is all wrong for you and your horse.

Sorry that it's not the positive thoughts you asked for, but I think it's always a positive to be aware of the potential pros and cons of any educational situation involving horses.

6 members found this post helpful.

I think she is great if what you are looking for is some help getting-it-done - she tends to inspire confidence, get folks kicking on and getting the job done, feeling good about themselves. She is not who I would pick to help identify and give tools for fixing issues with technique or to give nuanced critique about the theory or details. I also don't love her for a sensitive horse/rider, or someone who is looking for a style tune-up. But most folks have a lot of fun at her clinics and end up feeling like they've become more confident which is a great goal in and of itself.

8 members found this post helpful.

I gained a level of "stick with it" from her that really carried through for years (I mean, my very green horse at the time had an awkward baby moment in her clinic and broke my nose....I only stopped long enough to stuff gauze up my nose). She's definitely not going to refine technical skills, but she will teach you how to sit back and get the job down and teach your horse how to keep finding its legs in sticky situations. I think both are must haves for eventing (well, in life, actually!).

That being said, my baby horse was ridiculously easy and brave when I took him. He ate up what she taught us and just grew so, so much in confidence and really started to hunt for fences. I'm not sure a less confident youngster would thrive as much in her clinics as he did.

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow ... Great Instructor & Have a Good time :-)
    Grits & Gravity

Disclosure Time ~ I'm not ur vet BLAH BLAH or ur consultant ~ IMHO~ MayB a conflict of interest BLAH BLAH !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post

I understand that there are many who like her clinics, but her basic values are so different from mine (and to those of the instructors whose theories I follow), that I would not recommend riding with her unless you've watched one of her clinics -- in person, so you can see the whole thing play out. Otherwise, you might find yourself in a situation that is all wrong for you and your horse.

Sorry that it's not the positive thoughts you asked for, but I think it's always a positive to be aware of the potential pros and cons of any educational situation involving horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Chat with Bensmom about her experience.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks everyone, I've done clinics with Lucinda before, quite a good experience with my horse competing Training, but horrid with my green OTTB...I need to put myself in a positive situation where I'll get pushed (safely) a bit out of my comfort zone - the latter is still fairly fragile so am taking all of your comments to heart. My father is now scheduled for an operation that weekend so it all may be a mute point anyway. Still very glad for all the comments and the PM chats! Have missed you all Merry Ho HO!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    many thanks...I'd forgotten some stuff

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Chat with Bensmom about her experience.
    I did! We had talked about all this before but got new details...I really had a blast with Buddy but when my green OTTB wouldn't play, Lucinda responded very similarly to Bensmom's experience. Merry Ho HO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post

I'm very appreciative of your comments - very much can't put myself in a situation where Rasta will get rattled...have loved watching your cute mare in person!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post
    ..have loved watching your cute mare in person!!!!
    Thanks.

My little mare is about as strong-minded as a horse can get. She is all about doing her job well. But when you've instilled 'always straight' into them from Day 1, even she gets rattled when you start repeatedly presenting her to obstacles in such a way that straightness is not possible.

I did, of course, ask Lucinda specifically about straightness. Her reply: 'Straight?' -- like it was a foreign word -- 'When are they ever straight?'

When you ride with Mike Plumb, your horse is always straight. So there you have two hugely successful riders, but with very different training values. Which really says there's no one right way, but you have to be consistent in your training if you want your horse to know how to fulfill your expectations.

As a final point, and to show Lucinda's generous spirit and knowledge of what makes a good horse, I'll mention that, despite my mare's rather dramatic meltdowns, Lucinda was very impressed with her abilities and said 'This horse will go far in eventing.' So I really don't want to badmouth Lucinda herself at all -- I think it was just a clash of systems.

I'd walk some barrels and do some tiny skinnies at home to be prepared. And sticky stuff on your saddle and boots.

Good for green horses who literally do not know how to jump, as this teaches them to find the "fifth" leg. But agreed with JER about straightness. Doesn't factor in much. But you should be doing small sizes anyhow. I also have a horse I've worked on for two years to get straight and not runout and jump the standard of the fence....and got a tremendous amount of confidence and support recently from Caitlin Silliman. She was THAT good.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I've a couple clinics with her and audited others. I think she's great for building confidence and 'get-it-done' for both horse and rider, but only with a smart, not easily rattled, quick on their feet horse. She really helped me gain confidence for just kicking on and not worrying when it got ugly. Some of the questions were really tricky, weird turns, angles, and distances for even the greenest group. Not so great for the horses who weren't able to take a joke.

For the most part, the riders I saw who had problems did not get better. If the horse got scared, stubborn, or over faced, she was not very good about breaking it down and helping them, she sort of just had them keep trying the same thing until the horse was DONE.

Forgot to add, I really do like her clinics and plan on going to a clinic with her this spring with my new 4 year old. You just have to know what your sitting on and decide if her approach is right for them. If you go, practice your skinnies and walking jumps.