The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quaterback...legs

Does anyone have any stats on leg conformation that Quaterback is passing along? I realize that he has been known to pass on a shorter leg, but I am more concerned with good angles. I have a Davignon mare and her rear legs are her weakest conformation point.

Otherwise I think he will be a great match for her!

I thought he passed on a longer leg, actually. He is sickle-hocked, so I would be more concerned with that if your mare has weak hind legs.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca yount View Post

Uh - both photos are of the same horse. How can he have "correct hock angles" in one photo and be "sickle-hocked" in the second photo?

1 members found this post helpful.

Those don't look like sickle hocks to me. I wish I could find a link to a pic of a horse with REAL sickle hocks, they are pretty hard to miss!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Actually he could be very mildly over angulated at the hock, it is hard when they park the near leg out far like that to get a true idea. I think he is a bit straight in the femur forsure. I don't think he passes on the best hind ends for the sport to be honest, judging from some of the offspring I have seen under saddle (not that I have seen dozens or anything). FWIW I have two from a slightly sickle hocked mare and one has her exact hind end and one is just a bit straight in the femur but not over angulated in the hock (so a more "pushing" hind end). One is really toed out from the knees down (mare was straight) and one is fairly straight....so I don't know. My mare's other foals from different stallions all were really correct in the front. I have heard that Quando Quando has crazy crooked front legs so maybe it is in this line (obviously no detriment to him as he was an Olympic horse)? FWIW we now have the four year old by him (still intact) going under saddle and his trainer really likes him. He is such an improvement over that mare, WAY more movement. The canter is super nice, very uphill and balanced, lots of shoulder freedom and jump. His temperament is a ten, he is extremely willing, confident and trainable especially for a stallion.

http://theequinist.blogspot.com/2011...kle-hocks.html

What the heck?. The horse is sickle hocked...simple as that. Just because she stands him so his cannon is vertical and then takes another pic doesn't make him magically correct behind!
    Last edited by Donella; Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

The image was photoshopped to make a point.
    Could have put a bit of effort and found a good exemple! Pffft!!
    VĂ©ronique
    www.FormosusSporthorses.ca
    Like us on Facebook

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    http://theequinist.blogspot.com/2011...kle-hocks.html

What the heck?. The horse is sickle hocked...simple as that. Just because she stands him so his cannon is vertical and then takes another pic doesn't make him magically correct behind!
    That was my point.