The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else on foal watch?!?

This is night 2 and I'm not sure if I'm more ready for a margarita or a nap.

Please tell me that someone else is going to be spending the night in the barn waiting on a stubborn mama, too!
    Last edited by _grits_; Jan. 17, 2013 at 05:48 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Lucky you!

I'm not on foal watch for another 2 months, but looking forward to the babies.

How many days gestation is your mare at? What signs of "readiness" is she showing? Do you do the milk test? Hope it all goes smoothly, but do share some details! Exciting times are around the corner

Is your mare blanketed this time of year? My first mare due is earlier than I would like, still winter-blankie weather here most times and I am wondering what people normally do? Granted, we hope to be around to attend the foaling but they do sometimes slip by...
    Unless it's really brutal, I'll leave her naked as she's getting closer - but with early foals in colder climate, what do most people do?

How exciting! Hoping all goes well..She'll try to wait until your eyes are so tired you can't even keep them open...

This mare belongs to a good friend of mine, but I'm just as excited about this baby as if it were my own. This baby's sire has been dead for many years and this is the only frozen semen baby in the past 5 years!

Today is day 321 and she has always been a day 320 - 326 mare. This is baby number 4 for her. She's had 3 fillies, but we all feel this is a colt since she has carried so different this time.

This is a tough mare to watch because she has NEVER shown any signs of going into labor before. All 3 fillies surprised everyone!

Baby has completely dropped, Mama's hind end is more than soft with very prominent tail head, milk vein has been huge for the past 2 days and we're finally getting very sticky yellow milk. We all thought she was going to go Wednesday day, but she pulled a fast one on us.

We live down south and with the exception of last night, our weather isn't supposed to be too cold for the next several days. Highs in the upper 50's/low 60's and lows in the low 40's. Mama isn't blanketed, but baby will be on the cooler nights.

OMG, you could be "sleeping" in the barn for months! You need to milk test.

We've milk tested this mare before and it never EVER works on her! She is the only one that pulls this mess on us. Last year she was milk tested within 6 hours of having her filly and NOPE! We all went about our merry way (checking in every couple hours) and there was a surprise filly waiting in the stall. Actually, that's how it went with all 3 of them.

This mare makes us feel like complete beginners, despite successfully foaling out 3 - 6 foals a year. She does NOT read the book on how this is supposed to work. Even the vet shakes her head at this mare every year.

Oh my goodness!! So exciting! My mare is at day 241 so I have a ways to go before I'm on foal watch, but it's fun hearing about others who are already there! We have started a Facebook group called Foal Watch 2013 and if you have FB would love for you to join us! I think the first foals on our page so far are due mid-March so it would be great to start seeing those foal pictures while we wait!!

Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...0237064747988/

Best of luck to you during these sleepless nights.... and may they be few!

Quote Originally Posted by _grits_ View Post
    We've milk tested this mare before and it never EVER works on her! She is the only one that pulls this mess on us. Last year she was milk tested within 6 hours of having her filly and NOPE! We all went about our merry way (checking in every couple hours) and there was a surprise filly waiting in the stall. Actually, that's how it went with all 3 of them.

This mare makes us feel like complete beginners, despite successfully foaling out 3 - 6 foals a year. She does NOT read the book on how this is supposed to work. Even the vet shakes her head at this mare every year.
    We have one broodmare that is like that too. She did it to the man we got her from too. She had 3 (I think, it might have been 4) foals with him and he never got to see any of the births. He's a fairly big breeder, so has all the help he needs to keep a pretty close eye on them.

We've had 3 foals with her, the first two no bag, no milk, no softening of the HQ muscles, dropped her foal in the night in the paddock. The third one, we were in a better setup (we don't own our own farm, we've been renting for what feels like forever!) so were able to keep a better watch on her. I was checking her every 15 minutes after she bagged up SLIGHTLY at 10 pm one night. She managed to foal completely except afterbirth in that 15 minute break. She makes us feel pretty incompetent, but she is an excellent mom, and so far an extememely easy foaler, and apparently just has a HUGE privacy streak in her. I said to my husband that I'm sleeping IN her stall this year instead of the tack room!

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

My mare is on day 273, started bringing her into her foaling stall last night! This will be her 6th foal, but first for me. I have milk tested my other two mares the last two years and it was spot on, but this mare... VERY crank about me even getting close to back there let alone getting milk (not that I have tried this soon, but I try to start messing aroun back there to get her used to it, and she wants NOTHING to do with it) any ideas? The barn is 30 min from my house, I have a foaling camera, but Internet at the barn has limited data so I can't stream video, so as she's getting close ill stay in the BO's house but without milk test... Ill be there for a month!! Haha
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

Animals are not allowed to tell me no to anything. Generally you can win them over with patience and praise for doing the right thing with or without treats. Sometimes you need to resort to restraint. You can use a lip chain or a twitch if necessary.

Are you still sleepless?