The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Reproduction Internships

I am posting this here to see if anyone knows of opportunities for an internship at a large reproduction facility. I would like to have the chance to be an assistant with the normal repro tasks (foaling out mares, mare watch, stallion collection, AI, etc). It seems to be hard to find- there are several small facilities looking for someone, but they tend to have less than 10 mares. I would like to be at a place where there is alot of action and greater chance of learning.

If the repro opportunity fails, I would be interested in an internship/working student with a trainer where you can be the groom, ride some, and be an assistant.

Any ideas of what is out there?

http://www.kemi.org/

Don't know much about them, but they do have internships

1 members found this post helpful.

Perhaps checking out some of the TB farms in Kentucky. Or would Equine Reproduction ( member here) might do something or know of something.

P.

When I wanted to learn how to foal out, I spent time at a large Ocala TB farm. They were foaling 90 foals a season then. It was unpaid and you spent the night in hopes of being able to be there for foalings and be a back-up person basically for the experienced person who was there. I learned a ton and can't think of a better way than to watch the people who have done thousands of foalings in their careers work. Perhaps you could do something like that and then intern at a vet clinic that has lots of ship-ins for collections later.

Al Marah offers a formal apprenticeship program in breeding/management. http://www.al-marah.com/apprenticeship.html

Hi,
    My name is Michelle and I happened to run across your post. We are currently looking for someone as a foaling attendant and to assist with our upcoming breeding and foaling season. I'm not sure what type of experience you have previously had, but we foal about 100 mares a year and breed about 300 so if you happen to be interested in finding out more about the position we have to offer email me at shell626@yahoo.com. Thanks. Michelle

Default Nandi farm

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesforFun View Post
    I am posting this here to see if anyone knows of opportunities for an internship at a large reproduction facility. I would like to have the chance to be an assistant with the normal repro tasks (foaling out mares, mare watch, stallion collection, AI, etc). It seems to be hard to find- there are several small facilities looking for someone, but they tend to have less than 10 mares. I would like to be at a place where there is alot of action and greater chance of learning.

If the repro opportunity fails, I would be interested in an internship/working student with a trainer where you can be the groom, ride some, and be an assistant.

Any ideas of what is out there?
    A TB facility may give you a lot of experience fowling, but not AI or ET. For the breeding aspect you might contact www.nandivet.com. There frozen semen breeding and embryo transfer business was very busy when we used them years ago. I am not sure how busy they are now, but if it is even close to what previously was you will learn everything you need to know.

I would suggest trying qh facilities. They do a lot of embryo transfer (pretty cool) and also collect and do ai. Don't know of one in particular to direct you to but there are several.