The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best arthritis supplement

Hi, I'm looking for the recommendations on an arthritis supplement for a very senior horse with advanced arthritis. She has been retired for years and needs support to walk around the pasture. I have has her on a supplement called multiflex from multivet for about 4 years but just curious if there is something better out there for it. Other than her achy joints and swollen knees she is the picture of health. If I can make her more comfortable I'd love to. I give her bute as needed.

My 32yr old arthritic gentleman has tried every product on the market but he responds best to MSM and whole flax. He does very well on FlexForce HA syrup as well, but for some reason it gives him unreasonably hard manure.

Pentosan works very well on him as well, as do BOT products, 24/7 movement and fastidious foot care, he is trimmed every 3 weeks to stay optimal.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

2 members found this post helpful.

SmartFlex Senior

2 members found this post helpful.

I use smartpak smartTLC as well as hylaun HA liquid for my almost 25 year old.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ask your Vet about previcox.

3 members found this post helpful.

Either injections or straight MSM.

While waiting for hock injections (vet/chiro broke her arm in Dec) my vet suggested Previcox if I could get it. Company has equine version, Equioxx but much more expensive. But I know that something came up where they couldn't write or dispense Previcox for equines as it had not gone through testing in that form in horses. Someone else might have more info on that. Luckily I work for small animal vet so I can just order it there. I asked about Pentosan (currently getting glucosamine injections every 10-14 days), but she said she has gotten away from using it after a couple of horses had muscle reactions to it.

Pentosan. That stuff is amazing
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Pentosan. That stuff is amazing
    Is this a prescription?

I'd chat w/ your veterinarian.

My old guy had arthritis issues. Adequan had just come out and that worked pretty well. When that wasn't doing the whole trick, we added bute. (this was nearly 10 years ago mind you) When he was not able to be kept comfortable anymore, I euth'd. But I wouldn't mess around with nutriceutical stuff if he's advanced as you say. I'd go with something that has empirical data supporting efficacy.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My retired mare in on Previcox and a daily dose of MSM for her issues. She is 30 and pasture sound.

If it were my old man, I would probably just do previcox to keep him comfy. Once a day or every other day, depending on how well it worked.

My guy has never benefited from oral joint sups. He's only ever responded to Adequan or Legend (pentosan came to market after he retired). At this point in his life, I just want him to be happy and comfy, so I would to a NSAID like previcox if his tummy handled it.

Most of these products make use of the same half-dozen ingredients in varying percentages, so it's really sort of trial and error.

I don't much have patience for unproven things, so if I had a really uncomfortable horse to treat I'd go with actual medications and not supplements. Bute or Naproxen or aspirin, with something to protect their stomach from the fallout. Injectables as needed. Maybe MSM.
    Click here before you buy.

Save your money on the OTC stuff (except msm!) and go with prescription at this point! Pentosan $12-48 a month using 5 cc doses! It's cheaper than most "good" supplements that have no evidence of effect!