The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alternative horse feed

Backstory: My retired oldster developed a choking problem with Strategy, which he has eaten most of his life. This has continued to be a problem regardless of what type of fortified feed I feed him. I think he's just bolting this type of food because it's so sweet and yummy.

Question: I've switched him over to alfalfa chops and rice bran plus SmartPaks Smartvite senior for grass hay instead of grain. He's also out 24/7 (when it's not 9 degrees at night) with free choice hay, or he has free choice hay in his stall.

I've plugged all of this into FeedXL and it seems to be okay nutrition wise, and he's not choking anymore. I'm just wondering if there are other options besides alfalfa chop/cubes/pellets/whatever and rice bran if you don't want to feed a fortified feed.

P.S. FeedXL is awesome, would highly recommend for anyone.

Just wanted to add, vet has seen horse for choking issue and can't find anything wrong. His teeth are fine, overall health is fine. Since he't not choking anymore, I'm not super interested in going after a big workup for the problem. Obviously if he starts again I'll look more throughly into it

Well if you would like to switch back to a straight feed there are a few things you can do to prevent choke.

1) feed your horse in a large pan instead of a bucket
    2) add several large rocks or break a salt lick up and put it in the pan
    3) soak feed thoroughly
    4) feed your horse on the ground (in the pan)
    5) split meals up into frequent small meals throughout the day

I had a boarder that choked twice, we did the first 4 things and he didn't have a problem after that.

If you don't want to switch back to a regular feed, you can look for timothy or grass hay cubes/pellets/chaff. You can also use soaked beet pulp shreds. Basically anything you can soak will work for a horse prone to choke.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm not really looking to go back to a straight fortified feed.

I guess my question is more about things like oats, beet pulp, and barley. Like is there a reason to add any of these things in particular?

If he is not choking and on a balanced ration, has good weight and health and acting good then do not go looking for trouble. Leave well enough alone.

3 members found this post helpful.

I have no idea why you would want to add things like oats or barley. You run the risk of choke with those as much as with a regular feed. There are certainly instances where adding something like oats could be beneficial, but I see no reason in this case as your horse isn't allergic to most feeds, which would be a main reason to switching to a diet with whole grains and individual ingredients.

If your horse's weight is good and his ration meets his vit/min needs, then don't change it. You can't fix what ain't broke.

Adding vegetable or sunflower oil is an option, this is an ideal feed for your horse in this condition, as it is digestible and easy to digest and nutritious.

I'll second the "add water to the feed." I have 3 (close to 30) and all have ramps and waves etc that make it hard to properly chew, so I soak everyone's feed including the younger ones.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

What about Coolstance?
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com