The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thrush preventative in wet weather (spray on?)

I use white lightening and thrush buster, but is there something to spray on to help get rid of thrush and help prevent it as well? Four days straight of rain & mud and I need to help the hooves from taking a beating.

ACV? Bleach?
    Last edited by Serigraph; Jan. 17, 2013 at 05:25 PM.

I mix up a spray bottle of apple cider vinegar mixed with tea tree oil as a preventative,but do use something stronger for treating thrush.

A well balanced hoof.....otherwise clean them and use what ever product you can find that will not damage health tissue.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

I have:

durasole
    keratex
    borax
    thushbuster
    white lightening

I like white lightening the best for treating thrush. Just curious is there is something to put on more frequently for hoof health in wet weather.

Two of mine and not much effected by the wet, but one is more prone to thrush. He has flat feet.

Durosole ,Keratex and Thrushbuster all contain formalin....That works on thrush but also on heathy tissue. White lightening soak would be my choice if it is deeply seated thrush. Followed by Quater Master (from a vet) or any brand of Cow Mastitise medication. ( Dry cow, today, tomorrow )
    Otherwise they all work as a good preventative from time to time.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

I've used iodine successfully as a preventative. Just take a decent strength solution (about 5% or so) and squirt a little line around the cleft of the frog and on the sole of the hoof. Try not to get any on yourself (eww - stinky stained hands). I've also heard that this works for hardening the sole if your horse is a bit tender footed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

mycaseptic
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

mycaseptic
    diluted iodine & salt solution
    diluted clorhexidine
    diluted lysol
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

My gelding got thrush every winter. I've had him for four years now, and the first three years he would get thrush as soon as it so much as sprinkled!

I started him on SmartHoof this spring, mostly for the copper and zinc (I was aiming for a cheaper version of CA Trace) and he has not had any thrush at all this year, despite record amounts of rainfall and mud.

So I do think there is a correlation with diet. But I also pick out their hooves every single day, regardless of how pointless it may seem. Of course, I have always done that, and he was getting thrush anyways.

ETA: And to get rid of existing thrush, I highly recommend the cow mastitis cream (either Today or Tomorrow). It clears it up really fast!

Plain ol Soapy water (I like blue Dawn dish soap mixed in water in a spray bottle) will go a long way and can be used every day when you clean the feet. No need to rinse the soap away either. Pick foot as celan as you can and then and spray and scrub with the hoof pick brush. Spray bottle makes it easy as pie and doesnt get you or the horse wet. Rinse and repeat till good and clean. Remember how your momma always told you to wash your hands because it kills germs? Works, its cheap, less chemicals and it doesnt harm the hoof.

Lotrimin AF

PREVENTIVE (in keeping with the topic of the thread) ​means something that will stick around for a while and protect the DEAD INSENSITIVE frog tissues from being invaded. Dorasole and Thrush Buster have, formalin, iodine and gentian violet. The formalin is absorbed and crosslinked in a few minutes. The iodine and gentian violet stick around for a while making the horn surface toxic to microbes. Solutions containing copper also have some residual PREVENTIVE application.

Quote Originally Posted by GaMare View Post
    Lotrimin AF
    Horses don't get athletes foot - even the athletic ones that take a lot of showers.

White lightening soaks and No Thrush powder- especially for thrush in the central sulcus. I use a toothbrush to rub in the NT into the frog and all crevices. You can spray the hoof with a little water to help the powder stick, if you need to. I find you have to be really diligent with treating it and continue to treat for a few weeks. I like that the No Thrush doesn't introduce any extra moisture (or a minimal amount of moisture if you choose spray the hoof with a mist of water)

And both White lightening and No Thrush won't destroy healthy tissue.