The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Alternative to HA feed-through supplement?

My H/J gelding is 15, and has been getting the hyaluronic acid feed-through supplement for several years. The store his owner has been buying from is going out of business, so we're kind of stuck for a joint supplement.

I'm not 100% sure what she's tried prior to this. I know he's had his hocks injected once (short-term fix, then he started on the HA and hasn't needed them done again). The injectable HA is not really an option, because he's a huge jerk about needles (he pouts for 3 days after his vaccinations). I believe Recovery EQ is on the list of things that did nothing.

He's a hard-keeping TB, and he gets Fat and Fiber as well as beet pulp at the moment (again, I believe, I'm not the owner, she and the BM keep his weight under control). That is topped with Cocosoya oil and some type of electrolyte salt.

I'm to be taking over more of his care in the coming months as she's having major surgery on her shoulder and will be out of the barn entirely for 2 months.

So, I need a new joint supplement that has the same sort of "kick" as the HA feed-through. Suggestions? Or, places in Ontario that stock/will order the feed-through, as all we've found thus far is the injectable.

why can't you just buy some HA from somewhere else? I use the Hyaluronex gel from smartpak myself, and many people use Conquer; lots of other HA options out there.

Pentosan IM monthly, approximately $15/dose if you buy direct, a bargain compared to the cost of even the most humble oral supplement, and much more likely to be effective, too.
    Click here before you buy.

Flex-Force Solution with HA. Valley Vet sells it for $51.95/gal, 128-256 day supply. Excellent supplement with my vet's approval.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

She's checked at the 3-4 local places, they won't bring in the exact type she was getting. I'm not sure what other names to look for that have good doses (not the contains HA! and has next to nothing in it kind).
    This is the first time I've had do deal with supplement shopping. She will approve anything he gets, but has asked me to help find something.

I can vouch for the quality/efficacy of Hyaluronex from Smartpak.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Smartpak doesn't ship to Canada if they did we would have way more options open.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeishorsesarelove View Post
    Smartpak doesn't ship to Canada if they did we would have way more options open.
    Ah..well, guess that means Pentosan would be out of the question then. Too bad.

In Ontario all the HA-based products got pulled a few years ago (I think it was a labelling issue), so now we have a hard time trying to find products here.

I have used the Flex Force mentioned above, but I had it shipped to a mail drop in NY and picked it up myself (I'm only about an hour from the border). You can do that with SmartPak too - let me know if you want info for a mail drop in Niagara Falls, NY.

I talked to a rep last fall from one of the supplement companies that was bringing out a new HA liquid version, but I can't remember the name of the company. It was at Greenhawk that I spoke with him, so definitely a brand they carry. Perhaps you could check with them to see?
    I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

You can get HA at the human health food or vitamin store if you are desperate.

I would 2nd the recommendation for Flex Force from valleyvet.com as a reasonably-priced HA supplement. Hyaluronex, Lubrisyn, and Conquer are also quite good but much more expensive.

If you can't get HA supplements at all, that leaves Legend. (Pentosan isn't injectable HA; Legend is.) But Legend is expensive, must be administered IV, and only stays in the body for about 5 days - so if you are serious about helping your horse, you need to do 2-4 Legend injections per month. And that adds up fast.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

if you are serious about helping your horse, you need to do 2-4 Legend injections per month
    You aren't implying that those of us who don't use this product are NOT serious about helping our horses?
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    I would 2nd the recommendation for Flex Force from valleyvet.com as a reasonably-priced HA supplement. Hyaluronex, Lubrisyn, and Conquer are also quite good but much more expensive.

If you can't get HA supplements at all, that leaves Legend. (Pentosan isn't injectable HA; Legend is.) But Legend is expensive, must be administered IV, and only stays in the body for about 5 days - so if you are serious about helping your horse, you need to do 2-4 Legend injections per month. And that adds up fast.
    Do you know how Legend actually works? Like any other NSAID (and, yes, HA can be considered a mild anti-inflammatory), it dies not need to be resident to have extended effect. 2-4 times a month is borderline excessive, and, I suspect, can lead to hypersensitization as evidenced in recent incidents due to overdosing.

To the op, yes, legend may be the way to go if feed throughs are not working or are otherwise unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    Flex-Force Solution with HA. Valley Vet sells it for $51.95/gal, 128-256 day supply. Excellent supplement with my vet's approval.
    I also use Flex Force and am really happy with the results. Last time I checked, with shipping, Jeffers was the cheapest source. I guess it may depend how geographically close you are to Jeffers and/or Valley Vet.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

We get our HA through our vet. Check with yours to see if they are able to get/give you it.

Didn't mean to offend anyone. I was typing fast, maybe could have been more careful with my wording. Of course we're all serious about caring for our horses.

Most people I know who use Legend are using it on older FEI dressage horses. They use it either every other week or weekly.

This article states that Legend works for 2-7 days max:
    http://www.ctrdvm.com/html/medications.html

Under the Legend part:
    "The duration of its anti-inflammatory effect when given IV is anywhere from 2 to 7 days maximum."

I have not heard anything about an "extended effect." If it DOES do that, that would be great. Can you cite a reference please? Not being snarky - I've always avoided Legend simply because I can't afford to do weekly shots (and of course now I just use feed-throughs like Flex Force) - but I'd love to know if I should revise my thinking.

ETA - What is this hypersensitization you speak of (with regards to HA)? Is this an issue using HA gel supplements as well? In other words, is there something NEW I need to worry about?
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

What about this one?

http://www.omegaalphaequine.com/products-ha-180.php

They are products in Greenhawk.

I started my mare on Regenerate Plus from Herbs for Horses (in Guelph Ontario) while there isnt much paper work on the product on line, it has helped my 21 y/o ex hunter/jumper mare that has had a hard with ligaments and tendons. This product has HA in it, and I just order it through the company. Give them a call and they will be able to tell you all about it. So far so good!
    I got a container in August (25th a believe) and I just had to get another one last week. The cost was $130 something before tax but he will ship at a reasonable cost.

Thanks everyone! I will bring up Flex-Force and the HA-180 to her. They both sound like they'd be good options.

The injectables are truly not an option, both on affordability and the fact that ponykins would be miserable. He gets injections at his regular vaccinations like so: sneak the mild tranq into him, let him get droopy, regular sedation for the his teeth and then the vaccines. Otherwise they'd get one into him and he'd eat the vet. He'd hate us and wouldn't let us near him if we were sticking him ever week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeishorsesarelove View Post
    Thanks everyone! I will bring up Flex-Force and the HA-180 to her. They both sound like they'd be good options.

The injectables are truly not an option
    Recovery has a "new" formulation with HA so you might try that - website lists Ontario suppliers if you want to call for pricing & availability.
    It's been on the market for at least a year.

You can get the Flex Force HA solution in Canada BUT it may be available only through your vet for rather more than the US list pricing