The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Animal Cops Houston--is it real?

I've watched a few episodes of Animal Cops Houston. In one episode, a farrier is trimming minis that were rescued. He states that the minis are a nice break because he normally works on horses that are "7 foot tall at the withers." Uh so he normally trims 21 hand horses?!?

I just watched another episode where they rescued 2 flea bitten greys and a chestnut. Both greys had white manes. They then show one of the rescued grey horses being adopted. Except the horse is now dappled with a dark mane and tail. Huh????

Is this show for real, or are producers messing it up?
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

The people on the show are real ACOs and real constables (I've been to classes with several of them). I suspect things get 'dumbed down' or overly simplified for TV and I suspect that the HSPCA doesn't have a lot of control over how things are edited/displayed. (At least when I've done spots on various TV shows/news shows, I have no control over editing).

I liked the 'animal cops' shows in the beginning - they gave a look into the 'behind the scenes' stuff that happens in animal control and could provide for education. But not like all 'reality tv', the TV junkees demand more and more drama... and the real world is lost.

(My 2 cents anyway)
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

5 members found this post helpful.

Some of the info seems to be adjusted for the viewing audience, but as a whole i can appreciate the public education of animal abuse. We watch it pretty often and I'm always shocked at what people can do to innocent animals!!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Don't know whether the show is real or not, but my trimmer for years kept saying that "black" horse this and that "black" horse that; and that got me awfully confused, because I have all kind of solid colored horses, except for "black" ones. Well, it turned out, he meant that "bay" horse, and since the legs are all he see when trimming, and since bay have black legs, he kept thinking them to be black.

3 members found this post helpful.

Just yesterday someone who is friends with one of the vets who was on Animal Cops Houston years ago told me a sad story. Apparently although the show made it out to be all good, the reality was quite different. The story was about an old cat lady. She had a large number of cats - maybe 60? in her house, un-neutered. The house was unsanitary and not surprisingly the neighbors had complained. The HSPCA came in and apparently the old woman was confused with what was going on. They removed all the cats and she ended up in a home, where, very shortly afterwards she died (needless to say the show didn't show that). The discussion we were having was about help. Was this the right thing to do, or, for an old lady who undoubtedly loved her cats but things had got out of hand, would it have been better to neuter a smaller group of them and help the old lady to clean up her house and keep the cats instead of breaking her heart?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    Just yesterday someone who is friends with one of the vets who was on Animal Cops Houston years ago told me a sad story. Apparently although the show made it out to be all good, the reality was quite different. The story was about an old cat lady. She had a large number of cats - maybe 60? in her house, un-neutered. The house was unsanitary and not surprisingly the neighbors had complained. The HSPCA came in and apparently the old woman was confused with what was going on. They removed all the cats and she ended up in a home, where, very shortly afterwards she died (needless to say the show didn't show that). The discussion we were having was about help. Was this the right thing to do, or, for an old lady who undoubtedly loved her cats but things had got out of hand, would it have been better to neuter a smaller group of them and help the old lady to clean up her house and keep the cats instead of breaking her heart?
    Depending on how long she'd had that many cats in the house, letting her stay there might not have been an option. There was a case in Detroit (predating these shows) where because of too many animals and too much food (human and animal) garbage tht attracted OTHER animals (rats, etc) the city *condemned the house.* It was easier to tear it down than clean it to liveable standards.

I hate it when they list "caked in mud" as one of the signs of abuse. I mean- I've seen shaggy wormy sad critters who had manure dreadlocks matted in their fur- that's abuse... but if a horse in a field is dirty- that is hardly a reason to cry foul. If they have any complaint- and the horse happens to be dirty- bing- here comes "caked in mud" I worry what non-horse people must be picking up from this attitude.

7 members found this post helpful.

Dancer-there was a Detroit episode that had a house that was full of cats, and they had become feral. I don't remember how many cats they took out of the house, but I think it was something like 200 or more, and it was a record for a hoarder house there. Every single animal was put down because of disease. That house had already been condemned and was slated to be razed. Houston had a bunch with hoarder houses, or people who were trying to do the right thing for abandoned animals, and ended up as hoarders. The thing I hated about the Miami (I only watched a few of that one) was that the person who owned the animal had to admit they owned it, and of course they wouldn't claim ownership when they knew they would be cited or arrested.

I think the shows were legit, but they didn't do followups except in a show from the NY edition. I think they usually did try to show the success stories, except in a few cases where the dogs were too far gone to survive, or too injured. I suspect that like any other 'reality' show that they try to show the good parts, show the bad things people do, and try to show their work. Some later morphed into propaganda tools for the different organizations to help raise money, and that's about the time that some cities stopped allowing filming.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Depending on how long she'd had that many cats in the house, letting her stay there might not have been an option. There was a case in Detroit (predating these shows) where because of too many animals and too much food (human and animal) garbage tht attracted OTHER animals (rats, etc) the city *condemned the house.* It was easier to tear it down than clean it to liveable standards.
    Also there's some evidence that high levels of ammonia may lead to dementia-like symptoms. If the house is really soaked in urine, it may be impossible to get the levels of ammonia down to safe levels. (And even if the suspicions on dementia-like symptoms are wrong - there are health issues associated with high levels of ammonia in the house).

In the animal welfare world, there's a bigger push being made to work with hoarder situations to avoid prosecution. This is something that is really just being explored/developed, though, so not every agency is on board yet. The hoarder issue is tough because it involves animal neglect, human neglect, human health issues and often human mental health issues. There's not a 'one solution fits all' situations.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

1 members found this post helpful.

The farrier from the Houston show owns and trains draft horses besides being a farrier. His name is Steve and his farm is Horse Lake Farm somewhere in TX. He used to post on a draft horse forum that I was a member of. That's where the 7' at the withers probably came from, though I don't think any of the drafts were that large.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Yes, I was friends with Steve on another forum a few years ago. He is for real and does usually work with draft horses. I can't think of his last name off-hand though.

Steve Wisniewski
    Last edited by Amwrider; Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: last name of farrier
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch