The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default fly predators

Are they helpful if you only do turnout w/run-ins, and pasture poo-picking (into a centralized pile) is...shall we, say...erratic? As opposed to cleaning stalls and generating a good sized heap week after week. I'm trying to figure what it takes for these to really work - looking at my fly spray bills from last year makes it look kinda tempting...but I'm not sure my ecosystem would make it effective.

I believe they will help regardless of the management style, if any, you use. They really made a tremendous difference for me in just one year and many say that it really takes a couple of years to get the maximum benefit.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've used fly predators for the past 7 years and haven't bought a fly mask and minimal spray for years. I use them around the run in sheds and in the fields. We do chain drag the fields weekly. Best investment I've ever made for the horses health and comfort!
    Touchstone Farm. Visit us at the slideshow of our Dutch mares and foals below! 30 mnutes of photos.
    http://www.smilebox.com/playBlog/4d6...304f513d3d0d0a

Yep, we've been using them for 3 years now and just have pastures with run-in stalls. No formal manure management besides dragging/harrowing really.

We use Kunafin - excellent quality and service.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Wow, so you throw them out in the fields, too? How many (I forget, I don't have a catalog handy) bags/count per does it take approx. per acre?

Sprinkle them on fresh piles out in the fields, or on your big pile if you pick. Some near your chicken yard, and the dog yard. Ask your supplier, it depends on how many animals you have
    I've used them for several years and am pleased. I got the bonus deal last year, more predators than previous years, and was highly impressed.

I use them and my guys are out 24/7 with a run in. I sprinkle them on the piles in the pasture, the manure pile, and the chicken coop. I skipped one year and definitely regretted it. Never missing another year again!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Has anyone found them to affect your garden in a negative way? I guess that kinda keeps me from trying them.

The predators should be purchased based on the number of horses you have, not the amount of acreage. It's all about how much manure there is, not how widely it's spread out

I spread mine in my pasture. Mine are turned out 23-ish hours a day, so my "manure pile" is really a manure/compost pile, and I simply don't have flies back there. Ever. So, out into the field the predators go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Has anyone found them to affect your garden in a negative way? I guess that kinda keeps me from trying them.
    Why would they? They deposit eggs into certain fly species' larva, and that's it. The adults are tiny things, they don't want to bother with people or animals, they just want fly grubs

2 members found this post helpful.

You can sprinkle the predators anywhere and they do fly. Read the website it will give you all the details. Spalding's customer service is amazing. Mr. Trub has called them and their answers have always been informative (one time they even told us their product(s) could not help with our problem).
    I can not imagine the predators not helping if you buy the right quantity. If you are worried even after talking to the company, buy up in quantity.

What kind of problem do you think they would cause in your garden?

Another Spalding customer. I'll be using them again this year, which makes it my third year having fly predators. They really do make an amazing difference.

I didn't realize how few flies I had last year, until I visited someone's property for a trail ride who didn't use the predators. It was fly central, and my horse was miserable. Neither he nor I were used to all the flies anymore.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I agree, we use them and have found them helpful. Customer service is wonderful. Love Spaulding.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

We use them, and my horses have run ins that are picked multiple times a day (leaving manure just encourages the inmates to fling it around). Pastures also have manure removed every few days. All manure composted. I won't say the predators are a miracle and keep me from needing fly sheets/masks/spray, but I do think they help. I tried going without one year and did notice a big difference.

I use Spalding and the website walks you through determining how many to order. I already set mine up for the year.

Spalding is sponsoring a trainer friend of mine so I recommend them.

I have used the Spalding brand for around 10 years. I am at a boarding farm and several other boarders have started using them. I just sprinkle them in the field where my mare lives.The other three boarders that have started using them are all in different pastures, so it has generally helped the whole farm. The neighboring farm has cattle and you would not know it if you didn't see them as the flies are under good control.

having your neighbors use them will make the biggest difference. If you are surrounded by other horse or cattle properties (stock-heavy) and they DON'T use them....you are fighting an uphill battle.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Fly Predators will not effect your garden in any negative way. Fly Predators are searching for pest fly pupae only. Both house flies and biting stable flies are only the source of food for Fly Predators.
    Larry Garner
    Spalding Fly Predators

I have had a lot better luck with Solitude feed-through. Maybe it is because I don't have a "manure pile" in the summer to put them in? I don't know why but they did not seem to make a dent in the fly population. The Solitude makes a world of difference if you start it early (I start March 1) and keep up with it daily.

This yr will be my 13th yr with Spaulding Fly Predators. They make a huge difference here. Here they DO make the difference between using fly masks and fly spray or not. I have not bought spray for use here in a while. I would spray her if I was leaving the property for a ride, but that is not an issue for me, unfortunately. We just do not have flies here anymore. Never a fly in the house. I just love it.

It does make a very big difference if you have near neighbors. If you do, it is well worth asking them if they want to use them, it will make a very big difference in their effectiveness at your place. So much of a difference that I would consider paying for a batch of preds to be spread at the neighbors, if they would not.

I pick up all manure in the pastures and bring to my manure pile. If preds are not yet all hatched upon releasing on your pile, cover them lightly. The birds find them good food, the site says to do this and I always have. You also need to be careful with fly spray as it will kill your predators.

The only place I ever lived where they were not effective was when I lived where a farmer had pastured cows bordering our property from all sides. Other than that I just love preds. I will always purchase them. It is much much cheaper than buying spray, traps, etc and very effective.