The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

I wish COTH had a like button.... and a BS button. I'd have such fun with those

9 members found this post helpful.

Where does she find the time?

What in the world will a petition accomplish? She can't even get them to respond to her emails.
    "Every century a witch shall be born."

3 members found this post helpful.

There are many times where a horse who is on antibiotics or who needs dex for an allergic reaction could be healthy to show.

What about a horse who has a cut and is put on a seven day cycle of antibiotics? Original cut may not have ever caused him to be lame. Should he be out of competition for seven days because a vet was being cautious with a cut?

What about the horse who has a spider bite or a reaction to the shavings and gets hives? Should they not be allowed to show if the dex took down the reaction and they are perfectly fine?

We need some common sense. The antibiotics are not the reason we are having this discussion.

Dex is a little bit of another story but there are reasons to give dex which do make sense for a horse to show on it.

If David O'Connor's horse, that had a severe skin allergy in Sidney, can get through it to win a Gold Medal WITHOUT DEX (they bathed it overnight with an oatmeal bath!!!!), then ANY horse who has skin allergies can get through a horse show (significantly less stressful) without Dex!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

20 members found this post helpful.

Default Question.....

This was taken straight from EM's letter to the USEF...

The USEF nor any of its members may deny or threaten to deny any member the opportunity to compete in protected competitions as defined by the USOC Bylaws without a hearing. A protected competition is defined as any domestic amateur athletic competition or event organized and conducted by an NGB of the USOC. This was supported in the 2008 USOC arbitration involving Salk vs. U.S. Sailing.

Since when does the USEF organize and conduct ANY shows. Yes, they RECOGNIZE, but not run the shows...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I find the USEF's handling of this entire issue appalling.

“There does need to be better awareness of the medication rules,” agreed Allen. “The people who show up at a hearing have actually read the stuff. The average person standing stallside, they don’t understand anything.”Outgoing USEF President David O’Connor suggested incorporating an open book quiz into the existing trainer certification programs through the affiliate organizations.
    “We just want them to go the rules, look at them and figure out how to access the rules,” said Allen.
    Committee member Martha Murdock pointed out that many veterinarians don’t know the rules either. “I spend half of my day talking to veterinarians at the shows who are asking me, ‘Can I give this at the show right now?’ ” agreed C. Mike Tomlinson, DVM.
    The committee voted to recommend going forward with development of a test that could be administered through the affiliates in their trainer certification programs. This test would most likely begin as a voluntary thing for veterinarians and might eventually be required of the official treating veterinarians at USEF shows.
    An open book quiz for trainers? A requirement that official vets "might eventually" have to know the rules as well?

The only word I can think of is ... PATHETIC.

USEF, are you listening? THIS IS WHY I DID NOT RENEW MY MEMBERSHIP.

We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

9 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Purepony View Post
    I wish COTH had a like button.... and a BS button. I'd have such fun with those
    Trust me, we did ... until the wendy whiners got their feelings hurt and voted it off the island!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Trust me, we did ... until the wendy whiners got their feelings hurt and voted it off the island!
    As if amberhill is going to be at all affected by some COTH thumbs down?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have to agree w/ Lucassb and others... This is a NOTHING proposal designed ONLY to cover the NGB's @$$ and make it LOOK like they are doing something. Same thing as the new soring/action devices rule: full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Very, very, VERY disappointing.

Increase the fines and penalties, USEF. It's the ONLY way you are ever going to solve this. If trainers started getting set down for a YEAR you best believe they'd start paying attention!

Also, PLEASE look at this boondoggle about the entry form signatures. That's such BS.

Very disappointed.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

6 members found this post helpful.

As if amberhill is going to be at all affected by some COTH thumbs down?!
    Any more so than reasoned, well thought out posts?
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Any more so than reasoned, well thought out posts?
    Can't cure crazy
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

6 members found this post helpful.

Maybe USEF, as the national governing body of equestrian sports, needs to incorporate the requirements of USADA and WADA for both the athletes and horses.

Quote Originally Posted by amberhill View Post
    There is more than people think going on behind the scenes and they have a right to know the full story. Besides, that is not my style. Actually, I have been silent for way too long. Anyone who really knows me, knows I stand up and do not back down when I have been wronged.
    You've been wronged? What a laugh. Humble was wronged and from the facts reported and your actions and statements on this bb I'm of the very strong opinion that you should banned from our sport.

The court of public opinion can be a bitch and you are not doing yourself any favors by continuing to spout off here.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I find the USEF's handling of this entire issue appalling.

An open book quiz for trainers? A requirement that official vets "might eventually" have to know the rules as well?

The only word I can think of is ... PATHETIC.

USEF, are you listening? THIS IS WHY I DID NOT RENEW MY MEMBERSHIP.

This and the "log book" idea suggest to me that the USEF just discovered the drug problem a minute ago, or wishes to make it appear that they did.

It sounds great on paper to assert that your membership is just ignorant. But most of us know that's not true.

And the log book? As in one you show to the USEF and the other one you actually use? Accountants thought of this a long, long time ago. The suggestion that we repeat this shows that the USEF's thinking on the topic is either careless or immature.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    This isn't a criminal case in the judicial system. This is about a voluntary membership organization's right to exclude individuals from membership. Different standards entirely.
    Actually, you are incorrect. USEF sanctioned competitions are covered by the Ted Stevens Act and the USOC which were enacted by Congress. Please read for comprehension before commenting.
    Elizabeth Mandarino
    www.amberhillponies.com
    cell 908.397.0977

And the writing/spin control in the article and by USEF officials is horrendous. I could do a better job from my armchair.

I'll supply a play-by-play diss of the attempts to rescue the USEF's reputation for having already been a responsible and effective GOB if y'all would like.

But let me start here:

"Speeded" is not a word. It is not the past tense of "speed." That would be "sped."

Good lord, people.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Can't cure crazy

Precisely. Might as well entertain yourself at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherford View Post
    How about banning the use of needles and syringes by anyone other than a licensed Veterinarian as well? I believe they aren't allowed in other countries...
    I agree with Weatherford, and this would cover the situations described of Lyme's, allergies, etc.

However, the USEF needs more enforcement tools and spines to use them. As in, mandatory necropsy in the event of death, a higher rate of drug testing (many more than the small # of random tests today) and punishment vehicles such as banning for a year as was suggested. REquirement for all vials, needles used to be saved for the duration of the show for examination in case of adverse reaction to treatment.
    Forward...go forward

5 members found this post helpful.

Pathetic, simply pathetic, that is what I think of the USEF's proposed solutions to the drug problem (with the exception of requiring a necropsy and full cooperation with investigations).

If USEF really has wronged Amber Hill (), perhaps she can use this opportunity to bring about real change. Yep, sue USEF and only settle the case if USEF agrees to the following:

i. owner provides necropsy report to USEF for any animal who dies on the grounds of a USEF sanctioned competition;
    ii. membership requires full cooperation with USEF investigations, including granting USEF authority to subpoena records;
    iii. USEF to provide an online searchable database that includes information relating to violations, including hearing transcripts;
    iv. mandatory six-month suspension for calming-relating drug violations (in my mind drug violations of the calming variety are more egregious than soundness related violations such a NSAID stacking).

If Mandarino is truly committed to the well-being of the animals and the integrity of the sport, I expect her motivation for bringing an action against USEF to be about change not money.

Alas, the chance of any of the above occuring are as likely George W. Bush getting re-elected as President.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Mare View Post
    I agree with Weatherford, and this would cover the situations described of Lyme's, allergies, etc.

However, the USEF needs more enforcement tools and spines to use them. As in, mandatory necropsy in the event of death, a higher rate of drug testing (many more than the small # of random tests today) and punishment vehicles such as banning for a year as was suggested. REquirement for all vials, needles used to be saved for the duration of the show for examination in case of adverse reaction to treatment.
    What about the horses who get Adequan and Legend? I'm sorry, I just don't see people who choose to use those as nefarious or scheming.. or bad horsemen.

With that being said, the whole proposal is just pathetic aside from the mention of the necropsy.

amberhill... just stop.