The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Anyone else in breeches and boots all day? What do you wear?

I've recently started a part-time, might-become-full-time job at the local riding school (teaching, riding, managing the horses etc), and need to expand my wardrobe.

I have a couple pairs the same that seems to be holding up okay, but want to know what else is out there. I prefer moderate rise, full seat (though I guess I could get away with some kind of no-seat tights if I was teaching only?), no crazy patterns or bright colours.

In terms of boots, my Ariat Brossard paddock boots seem to be doing well on cold/rainy days, but I've just about killed the old cheap chaps I was wearing with them, and I've definitely killed my ancient plain leather jodphurs boots I normally wear (with the chaps) on warm days.

So. Should I move to long boots instead of chaps/short boots? Is there a long boots that's comfortable to walk around in all day and will wear well? What do you wear? What works? What doesn't? Help!

Once my Ariat Challenge IIs broke in it was like magic. I can wear them all day and not have any pain! They're super comfy. It was the breaking in part that was difficult. However in the interest of keeping them in good condition what I usually do is wear muck boots with nice quality support inserts around the barn and then put on my riding shoes when I actually need to ride. My trainer does the same thing.

For breeches, Tailored Sportsman hold up VERY well... Almost to the point where I wouldn't recommend anything else for every day breeches (every day riding tights are another story of course). I have tried Ariat and found they stained much quicker and were a pain to keep clean in general. Kerrits riding tights are also a good staple, along with Irideon (very useful in the summer).

I invested in nice leather half chaps to wear with my paddock boots on days when it's not super wet or icky outside.

Well I'm going to go ahead and plug Horze for breeches. I have 2 pairs from their Active line, a pair of full seats and a pair of knee patch, and so far I really like them. Horze has a 50% off code right now, so if they have your size you can get a really good deal on NICE quality breeches. I only ever really buy "cheap" breeches, but if I saw these in a store I would think they cost at least $100. Anyway, there are tons of threads with reviews on their stuff, plus everything from the website (actually those reviews are probably COTHers too)

They also have plenty of paddock boots/half chaps, and tall boots, although I can't comment on their comfort or durability.

Code is happynewyear, don't know how long it will be valid for though.

I will say I love my Ariat boots, have held up for years with tons of abuse, and are super comfortable when I'm on my feet all day.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Well I'm going to go ahead and plug Horze for breeches. I have 2 pairs from their Active line, a pair of full seats and a pair of knee patch, and so far I really like them. Horze has a 50% off code right now, so if they have your size you can get a really good deal on NICE quality breeches. I only ever really buy "cheap" breeches, but if I saw these in a store I would think they cost at least $100. Anyway, there are tons of threads with reviews on their stuff, plus everything from the website (actually those reviews are probably COTHers too)
    Gotta second these. Fantastic quality, particularly for $25. Nicer than the Ariats I own, and hold up well.

I wear kerrits all day
    I only wear tall boots when riding. They are too expensive to walk in and ruin. If I'm teaching all day I'm usually in Arita terrains. No need for chaps, your teaching, not riding.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Your in New Zealand, so are you looking for summer britches right now?
    Id be shopping for toasty warm britches right now. I wonder if you could get bargains buying summer items from the US now that would overcome the shipping.

I hope my geography is correct about the seasons (there is no embarrassed icon??)

What about full chaps? I know they're considered a bit "old-school" but then you can wear either jeans or leggings underneath for comfort, and you can continue to use your favorite paddock boots.
    Personally, I have winter Ariat boots that I wear with Kerrits tights and I'm so comfortable that I don't even think about changing out when I get home

I really like TuffRiders ribbed breeches. They come in a mid rise (their low rise isn't terribly low either though) full seat. I have the knee patch ones as my everyday breeches and they look brand new despite being 3-4 years old.

2 members found this post helpful.

I spent 5 months going 7am-6pm every day, 6 days a week, in breeches and boots. For the first few months it was my ariat volants, and then my old ariat paddock boots. Breeches were TuffRiders ribbed breeches. They have held up quite well, some rubbing on the inner thigh but I was riding 6 horses a day on average so that is to be expected.

Thanks for the recommendations. Horze does have some good deals on (and yes, the code still works - thanks SAcres!), though not quite $25 good, GoForAGallop! (In my size (38/40), anyway). I haven't found any deals as good on the other brands mentioned but if someone knows a tack store with a website that has some feel free to tell me . (Even if they don't say they ship internationally - there are ways around that!)

What about the Mountain Horse Terra Nova High Rider boots? They have bad reviews there, but has anyone here used them?

I just don't think I could wear only short boots with breeches (or full chaps, Hinderella - though I'm kind of tempted!). Do you guys teach in muck boots too? [Edited to add - I need to be able to walk through ankle-deep mud without getting wet socks - short boots alone are definitely out ].

Chall, you are correct - I am in NZ. I wouldn't mind getting some normal breeches as well as a pair of slightly warmer ones, but the temperatures don't get very extreme (30-80 def. F) where I am so I don't need anything special. If anything, waterproof would be good as it does rain a lot.

Pikeur and Cavallo breeches hold up better than anything else I've tried. USG breeches, which are less expensive, fit me better so I ride in those most of the time, but I end up spending more because I have to replace them more often. USG does have a top of the line breech that is supposed to be the same fabric as Pikeurs but I haven't tried them yet. They're gorgeous.

The worst breeches I've had are Jeffries. They stretch and the seat pills as soon as you look at it.

Can't help with the breeches. If I'm in breeches ALL day it's because I'm at a horseshow, and there I mostly wear my TS schooling breeches and show breeches. I might pick a different type if I was wearing that at home for many hours on end.

But with boots, I give the biggest thumbs up to my Ariat Volants for being the best things I've ever put on my feet when I know I'm going to be walking around ALL DAY. I used to head out to shows in the morning wearing paddock boots, but DH bought me a pair of Volants for my bday last year and now I wear them all day and for my lower level classes and then change into my Monaco tall boots for the bigger classes at the end of the day (just because they look nicer with my hunt coats and take better pictures ) But the Volants are super comfortable and have held up really well to a fair amount of abuse (lots of time spent in the mud and muck, and riding 3 horses daily).

I'm dying to buy a pair of the DeNiro Ride & Fly boots next since they look like a similar concept (tennis-shoe-like foot), but I have to wait until one of my other pairs of boots or paddock/half chap combos starts to die. DH already thinks I have a serious hoarding problem. And I very well may

One more question: I'm 5'8" and 140 lb. Waist 29" and hip 38", which seems to match the sizing chart on the Horze website pretty well for size 38 breeches. Does that seem right to those of you who've actually bought some? There have been a few comments in reviews of breeches about sizing so thought best to double check since it's a long way to get them posted to have them not fit .