The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default saddle fitter pricing

hi all- just wanted to get a feel for saddle fitter pricing. A local non affiliated person was suggested to me and her rate is $125 (per saddle I think). Is that high or in the ballpark? I didn't think it was too bad but I mentioned it to another rider and she thought it was really high.
    thanks!

What does that cover? Just an eval? Farm call and eval? Tweak to the flocking? I've always trailed to the saddle fitter so not had to pay farm call or trip fees in addition. An eval from one fitter in my area (no changes to the flocking) runs ~$35. If that saddle needs to be stripped and reflocked, it's nearly $300. Another local fitter charges ~$75 for eval/tweak but I'm not sure beyond that. If the fitter is coming to me, I'd certainly expect to pay a bit more....especially if they are making adjustments before they leave.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

She's high priced - if it is who I think, then she came out of school priced at $50 more than the guy who trained her ! You can PM me. Check what she can offer... there's a lot to be said for someone who is 'independent', but there are a couple of independents who do not have any used or consignment saddles to sell. Which is fine... but it's a bit limiting. If you have a saddle that needs altering, and it's a lot of altering, then it is kind of nice to have 40 more saddles on the truck that you can ride in to decide if it's really worth ploughing all that money into the existing one, or just trade it out for the next.

That is cheap in my area! The two that I know of that are local are around $300 for the trip charge and reflocking.

The lady I use charges $35 for a basic check, either $65 or $75 for a full fitting with tracings, watching the horse move, etc. Travel charge was $175 and she came from 4 hours away. She fit 20 horses, so the travel charge was quite minimal for us all. Any flocking or work on the saddles was additional.

I use Ann Forrest of Equestrian Imports and her prices for all different services are listed here, on her website.

She is excellent. She comes to the farm several times a year, but is also easy to work via e-mail and pictures, with even though she's based in FL and I am in NY.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure that price is basic tweaking, she lists other prices on her website for reflocking, tree adjustments, and computerized pressure testing. Farm call is separate but I'm not too worried about that as I can haul over; she's about 20 minutes away.I don't think my saddles are that bad, but I'm not an expert either.

if anyone has some suggestions for the Portland area I'd like to hear them!

any more thoughts?