The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,071

    Default Can an AHS mare be approved KWPN?

    So! I'm wondering about the logistics and reality of this! I have a mare that is branded with the AHS and she was also presented to the ISR old/NA and approved for breeding with that registry as well. she is getting older and is slightly off in the left front due to an old injury and I'm wondering if I presented her would she be discounted because of the limp? Should I just wait and take my chances only presenting the foal if I bred KPWN? If the stallion is not approved for the AHS could I present the foal anyway? Or should I just go to the ISR? I am a total newbie to the breeding scene and the different registries get me all mixed up sometimes!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2003
    Location
    Charles Town, WV
    Posts
    6,637

    Default

    Your mare MAY be eligible for breeding to a KWPN stallion as an Erkend Studbook mare without having to go to an inspection as she has already been approved for breeding. It depends on her pedigree. If you want to present her to KWPN, you may have to have x-rays and endoscopy before you present her as she is not a KWPN mare. Your best bet would be to send a copy of her registration papers to the KWPN office and ask them is she is eligible for Erkend status.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Thanks! I will look into that. Could you tell me what 'erkund' means?



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,278

    Default

    Hanoverian registration rules may be undergoing some radical changes soon that will allow much more leeway when choosing a stallion for an approved Hanoverian branded or approved non-Hanoverian mare. You may find that you can use the KWPN stallion that interests you and register the foal with AHS.

    This link covers what may happen. I am sure that details will be coming out very soon.

    http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...ng-policy-2013
    Last edited by Home Again Farm; Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: clarity



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 30, 2005
    Location
    Northfield MN
    Posts
    982

    Default

    If your mare is registered AHS and has already been approved for breeding by AHS, she is considered Erkend by KWPN regardless of her pedigree. You do not need to have her scoped or radiographed to get foalbook papers on her offspring by approved KWPN stallions.

    If she has never been presented to AHS for breeding approval and is only in the ISR/ Old NA marebook , she is not erkend.

    The new AHS proposals might allow you to register the foal with them, but only if the mare has been approved. So I would find out exactly which registries have inspected her and go from there.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Thank you so much! I know she has been presented and approved with both registries, she is branded ahs and then later (presumably due to a particular stallion) she was presented in a mpt for the ISR old/NA and approved for breeding with that registry as well. But, if I can avoid it, I'd rathe not present her for a third! . This is some good news, and I now have I'm great leads to follow.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan. 15, 2008
    Location
    Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    Hanoverian registration rules may be undergoing some radical changes soon that will allow much more leeway when choosing a stallion for an approved Hanoverian branded or approved non-Hanoverian mare. You may find that you can use the KWPN stallion that interests you and register the foal with AHS.

    This link covers what may happen. I am sure that details will be coming out very soon.

    http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...ng-policy-2013
    That is great news Mary Lou - just to jump on OP's post, now my MMB AHS mare can be bred to a KWPN stallion and the foal can be AHS?
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."



    www.dontlookbackfarm.com



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 21, 2003
    Location
    Charles Town, WV
    Posts
    6,637

    Default

    Erkend Studbook means an acknowledged studbook. KWPN does not acknowledge all studbooks, but you are probably OK with AHS. Best to email a copy of her registration papers to the office to be sure.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 22, 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I don't know about the pending rules. My AHS mare was approved just on a copy of her registration papers. She was an Elite Mare at the time however her daughter had not yet been presented and the daughter's foals, by KWPN-NA approved stallions, were also eligible for KWPN-NA registration. The foals would/and did receive pink papers, the highest level of foal papers with the KWPN-NA.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 5, 2002
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    8,278

    Default

    It all depends on what actually is passed. Also, I am sure that not every stallion from supported registries will qualify. Always ask the office before making plans. This weekend is the end of the AHS annual meeting. I am sure more news will be forthcoming soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post
    That is great news Mary Lou - just to jump on OP's post, now my MMB AHS mare can be bred to a KWPN stallion and the foal can be AHS?



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 28, 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HorseKrazy View Post
    Thank you so much! I know she has been presented and approved with both registries, she is branded ahs and then later (presumably due to a particular stallion) she was presented in a mpt for the ISR old/NA and approved for breeding with that registry as well. But, if I can avoid it, I'd rathe not present her for a third! . This is some good news, and I now have I'm great leads to follow.
    "branded ahs" does not necessarily mean she was ever entered into the marebook--it generally means she has ahs foal papers. OP should be more clear in her info so that others here can be of assistance and not be trying to give advice based on incorrect info from OP.
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 28, 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    The new AHS proposals might allow you to register the foal with them, but only if the mare has been approved. So I would find out exactly which registries have inspected her and go from there.
    not just "only if the mare has been approved"--but the stallion must also be approved by the Han Verband. They are going to be just like everyone else in that you cannot go and breed to just anybody else's stallion--they are opening their books up, but stallions of other breeds still will have to be approved to breed Hannoverians. Don't mislead OP into thinking she can just take her mare to this KWPN stallion and she will be able to get Han papers.
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov. 30, 2005
    Location
    Northfield MN
    Posts
    982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by feather river View Post
    not just "only if the mare has been approved"--but the stallion must also be approved by the Han Verband. They are going to be just like everyone else in that you cannot go and breed to just anybody else's stallion--they are opening their books up, but stallions of other breeds still will have to be approved to breed Hannoverians. Don't mislead OP into thinking she can just take her mare to this KWPN stallion and she will be able to get Han papers.
    That would be why I used the word "might" instead of "will". However, my point was that if the mare has not been approved, the foal could not get papers whether the stallion was approved or not.

    Hope that clarifies my post.

    The OP has stated mare has been presented and approved AHS. Assuming this is correct and she is not confused about registration vs approval, if she uses an approved KWPN stallion, she can get KWPN foalbook papers. Depending on the stallion and rule changes being passed, she might be able to register AHS.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14

    Default

    When will the new Hanoverian rules be annonced? Anyone know? I've been looking at a Dutch stallion but my mare is only approved AHS.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    I wasn't hoping for hann papers necessarily if I bred to the KWPN stallion I'm looking at. I was just looking for registry options. She is entered in the main mare book for the ahs and additionally took a mare performance test for the ISR old/NA when she was older, she is in that registries main mare book as well. I hope that clears things up for feather river, and those tat are helping to give me options!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Mostly I was wondering if I was going to have to present her to another registry for breeding approval for that specific stallion. It sounds like I am going to be contacting the KWPN office to see if they will accept her on her bloodlines alone. If they don't, I'm sure I have other options, which I am also being introduced to in this thread.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Thank you tucked away, that is exactly the scenario I am facing
    Last edited by HorseKrazy; Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Spell check......



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct. 28, 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    That would be why I used the word "might" instead of "will". However, my point was that if the mare has not been approved, the foal could not get papers whether the stallion was approved or not.

    Hope that clarifies my post.

    The OP has stated mare has been presented and approved AHS. Assuming this is correct and she is not confused about registration vs approval, if she uses an approved KWPN stallion, she can get KWPN foalbook papers. Depending on the stallion and rule changes being passed, she might be able to register AHS.
    just a further point of clarity for those who don't quite understand the system as well as tuckawayfarm does. Even after the Hanns drop their 50% rule, then all those outside owners of stallions who want to be approved will need to fill out some kind of paperwork, pay fees, produce show records, etc. etc. etc. before a stallion, any stallion, other than an already approved one gets his approval. Then, and only then, will this OP be able to use that KWPN stallion on her Hann approved mare. That may not happen fast enough for her this coming breeding season. Best bet is for her to send her papers off to the NAWPN and have them assess whether they will issue papers, and what kind.

    The"process" is the same for just about every worthwhile registry--unless you can get a single, one time breeding permit to an international top stallion. And I don't think the Am Hans issue those. (You can get them in Germany if you/your breeding program is known to the Hann. Verband.)
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar. 30, 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Feather river, that is the plan. . I never assumed that this stallion would be one that is approved in the hann registry for breeding, still don't thinks its likely that he would be approved. He is deceased. I am using a frozen straw (obviously ). What I was wanting to look into was my registry options for the potential foal. Which registries would be open to look at him? Some people are big on registered stock. If I was to sell this baby, being registered would be in its favor with the market. If, in the end, all I can get is a breeding certificate that's ok with me. Just exploring options-other than having to present her for approval in a new registry for 1 breeding!



Similar Threads

  1. Uthopia approved by Oldenburg Verband and now also by KWPN
    By DownYonder in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 23, 2011, 01:00 PM
  2. Connaisseur now approved by KWPN
    By DownYonder in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May. 10, 2011, 03:40 PM
  3. Approved KWPN studs with OCD
    By Oakstable in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jan. 23, 2010, 02:42 PM
  4. How do I get a mare approved KWPN ?
    By Peg in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov. 23, 2009, 01:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •