The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Molly mule rubbing around her eye; now hair loss

Mule is a big molly mule, middle-aged, been down on her luck in a so-so home until last fall where she fell into a much better home. She's in good weight, happy and healthy until last week just before our worst cold snap. She started rubbing her head and now she has a hairless area around one eye. Unclear whether the rubbing is causing the hairless or if what is causing the hairless is causing the rubbing.

Vet was out, scraping test is pending, mule got wormed with a tube of zimectrin, and vet prescribed Pred... checked the eyeball and declared all was well. Vet seems to be leaning toward teeny tiny mites and recommended a good worming to clear them.

This is a friend of mine and he wants to make the mule right. I'm thinking that the pred is going to help immediately so it will be difficult to tell when the worming might be effective.

Any ideas on this? Something seems off to me but what do I know. Of course I will update with any test results when I hear back... just wondering if there is another route/ideas.

Thanks!

I would worry about why the eye is itchy or painful. Did the vet think there was any evidence of uveitis?

The vet said the eye was ok; I'm more concerned about the eye too. The eye is watering clear tears but the vet passed that off to the irritation. I'm afraid the vet may not be as concerned about the eye as he should be... I think he's trying to eliminate skin problems when he should be thinking eye problems. The mite diagnosis wonders me.

It might be time to see an ophthalmologist. A really good eye exam will tell you what you are dealing with.

I was going to suggest the possibility of a sinus infection brewing. They tend to get to rubbing their heads on people, posts, etc. Check the drainage from the nostrils. Make sure both are draining clear. Also, a blocked tear duct is painful and can cause the head rubbing as well. Good luck!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

1 members found this post helpful.