The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JumpQH View Post
    Is it bad that I was ROTFL at this?
    This is what I thought of after reading the old "little lady routine"
    goneriding reminded me of the dad from the movie "A Christmas Story" that goes ...."The old man loved bargaining as much as an Arab trader, and he was twice as shrewd" lol
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

Dang - where are all of you? I paid $500 for this QH mare. She had ugly feet, but was otherwise in decent shape, was steady enough to put my kid on, and since then she's carried at least a dozen people on their first ever ride.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5f431e1a.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...psc88703f5.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_0226.jpg

I think it might be the sources you go through to find a horse? I always raise and start my own personal riding horses, but when finding something for our kids it was a different story. We have bought 4 for our kids. The first was a shetland pony we got from our barber. We kept him till my youngest dwarfed him. Then I went to my neighbor who knew of someone who had a paint gelding that they had ridden. We kept him until we had to move. A year later we moved back and I went to this same friend and bought one of her horses she used on trails. We had to move again several years later ( she bought her horse back) and when we arrived here we found my daughter's current horse on craigslist. She was the first one we tried and we bought her on the spot.

4 out of 4 were 100% keepers. If possible go through someone you know and trust and has actual knowledge of the particular horse and what it can/ can't do.

Wow. What an interesting thread. When I bought my daughters mare, it was through a friend. Paid more than I would today, but got a great mare. Then when I bought my older mare, I'd been looking online through Dream Horse, and kept the ad # to make sure I could find her again. Paid a pittence for her and tho she has a bump below her hock, she's a great trail horse, and can be turned out for 6 months, do 10 minutes of ground work and we're good to go. The newest mare, the trainer could not get along with, but she's drop dead gorgeous and we've had zero problems with her. Got her for under $1500 (including shipping) too. She has manage to create a capped hock due to an ornery neighbor, but I had it xrayed and it's just fluid. She's sound.

I guess I'm wondering where your criteria is? Define sound, define broke.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.smith View Post
    This is what I thought of after reading the old "little lady routine"
    goneriding reminded me of the dad from the movie "A Christmas Story" that goes ...."The old man loved bargaining as much as an Arab trader, and he was twice as shrewd" lol
    The stories I could tell you about hoss trading and the days in the past. The old timers, or ones who really haven't been to the big smoke that much, country bumpkins in other words, they have a deal which says they 'will try to sell you a horse', not they want to sell a horse to you. Big difference.

Then, there is the 'I've got X dollars in this horse and need to get that back' which may be a lie or not. They prey on gullible people who want the horse too badly. Believe me, horse traders can sniff that on folks the minute they get out of their car.

Then, there is the 'I've never lost money on a horse so I need X dollars' or 'I always make money on my horses so I need X dollars'. Really, they do that.

Let me think of some more things these guys do.

I told hubby we prolly are going to need to up the budget or accept a few manageable flaws. He went out to look at the filly again, I didn't go because I didn't want to give the guy the impression I'm THAT interested. Two can play this game...and wouldn't you know, hubby came home crowing about how nice she is. I admit, she's been on my mind all day and even tonight, at the barn, I was imagining her there. I'm hopeless, totally hopeless!! HA!!!
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Welp, my former-horse-trader nose saved me again!!

Originally, it was told to me the swollen fetlock must have happened after she got to his place. I'm pretty sure he bought her at the auction for next to nothing. Well, with all his pushing to sell me the horse, and my resisting, I found out she came in this way!! A third party who lives on the property and somewhat knows horses told me this. I. Knew. It. So, we have a good looking, adorable filly who went through a low-low end auction (I'm sure she was there) who has a potentially big injury. I said without xrays, we'd never know what the problem is. If it's a nothing much which time and some work would heal or if it's a biggie where she couldn't be used. I suspect it's big because every time I've seen her, she has that leg cocked up, never resting on it.

I can't do another horse with big problems. It hits too hard.

I think I'm going to have to buy a young one and start him/her myself somehow. Everything I've looked at, they have some training problems I don't want to deal with.

Okay, this is partly a vent. As usual, if I can just give up for a while, the perfect horse almost always falls square into my lap!!

With the sheet of ice all over right now, I don't like the idea of dealing with a horse and skidding all over anyway. Looks like I'm going to wait, keep a sharp eye out and see what happens.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Jan. 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: .

I am not that far away from you and just found a horse for a friend who is very much like you. She wanted a steady-eddie that she could do a bit of modest dressage (up to 2nd, at most), maybe get back into a doing some jumping (used to event), and take trail riding. We had been looking for a while, but nothing suitable was showing up. Suddenly, we found a registered 13yo arab in someone's backyard on Dreamhorse. His feet were solid, despite obvious months of neglect (very long and uneven, but no chipping), and he hadn't been ridden in 6-7 months, but had a reasonable history (english and western experience), good conformation, and clean legs. We both rode him w/t/c and he was quiet and had no obvious training gaps other than being a bit slow off the leg and not used to using himself properly. She bought him for $650. He loaded well into her trailer, in trying circumstances, and settled in very quickly at his new home. Weather has prevented her from doing any riding yet (no indoor) and she wants him to get accustomed to his properly trimmed feet, but he shows every indication of being the perfect diamond in the rough for her.

Keep looking and good luck!

If you want it to be sound and trained by someone with at least half a clue...you've eliminated about 3/4 of what's for sale.

Sounds like you should consider getting a western-broke horse. Too bad you weren't nearer my parts... I have seen some good horses, nice age (4-10), sound, broke, going for $1200-$2500.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    If you want it to be sound and trained by someone with at least half a clue...you've eliminated about 3/4 of what's for sale. At least that's what it seems like, after horse shopping.

It's hard to shop when you need a finished product and you're educated enough to spot problems.
    LOL! truer words were never spoken
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post

Sounds like you should consider getting a western-broke horse. Too bad you weren't nearer my parts... I have seen some good horses, nice age (4-10), sound, broke, going for $1200-$2500.
    I agree with this. As a rerider in my mid-40's with a few fear issues, I knew that my days of the OTTB were over. I found a 5 year old paint with western pleasure breeding that had gone on cattle drives, camping, roped, etc. No, he didn't know how to maintain contact in a snaffle but he had such an even temperament. I bought him in November.

I had my 2nd dressage lesson on him yesterday and he picked up the half pass in 3 seconds. If he sees something that scares him, he figures out it's OK and then he's done. A few days off means some laps in the round pen and I'm ready to ride.

He's not going to win the dressage or go above Novice level eventing, but I'm finding the joy in riding that I lost so many years ago. You'll find the right one!
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    When I was looking for horses, as a 50+ year old who is a timid rider, I also could not find a quiet, reliable, sound packer in my price range. I bought a 4 year old Irish Draught, and paid to have him trained. He is a really good boy. Although I had no business buying a 4 year old who only had been ridden a few times, I watched his 60 year old breeder climb on him without hesitation. I knew then that he was a good boy. Buying a youngster was the right decision for me. I did have access to some very good trainers, and that was really important.
    My half RID is a saint. I bought her when I was 60
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Have you thought about looking further afield? Here in Kansas, plenty of very nice horses (registered, trained, relatively young) are being given away due to lack of hay. I know it's hard to do when you can't go personally visit the horse and look it over for yourself, but I know people who find local vets to do PPEs and friends of friends to do test rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post

lol, I WAS looking for a western horse.

Welp, the latest. We decided to hold off on everything. Something has come up and it's better to wait for the time being. Nothing bad happened, just the way things worked out. So much for the thread!! :-)

This is what I ran into! I stayed in my under 2k budget but went with abreed I was not fond of and a minor training problem.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

Good, sound horses are being given away everywhere now. Sure, you'll see some horses with issues, but a lot of good, sound horses are out there if you look. They are being given away at barns. Farriers know where some of them are. Vets know where some of them are. You just have to quit reading ads and go out and look at horses and ask people at feed stores, etc. In fact, if you put up an ad at a feed store, lots of people will call you. People are walking away from their boarded horses, leaving them with barn owners who want to get rid of them.

Now if you're looking for a 100,000 horse for 1,000, you aren't going to find him for 1,000. You can, however, find some pretty expensive horses being given away now, with the economic times we are in.