The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Foal licking ground

My filly is just under 2 months old. When I turn her out in the morning she licks the ground. My first thought is that maybe she needs a salt lick, but I don't know if these are ok for foals? The filly is a healthy weight and does not look like she is lacking in any way. Mom gets a vitamin/mineral supplement and salt in her grain.

The filly also chews wood, and I think this is out of boredom. I don't think it is ulcers because she is a happy filly and does not show any other signs of ulcers. The only grain she gets is what mom drops on the ground, which isn't much. Mom is the type that likes to stand inside the barn. She will go out to the pasture, then within 5 - 10 minutes she is back at the barn to see if I am there or not, and will stand inside where there is no hay. So filly gets a little bored and starts to chew on wood is what I am thinking. I hate to throw hay inside the barn, because this just encourages mom to stand inside there even more and then she never goes outside at all.

Any suggestions about the ground licking though? We are an area that is selenium deficient. Mom is getting some selenium in her vitamins.

Anyone have any ideas? Does this sound like a vitamin deficiency? Wondering if I can put a salt lick out or will this be too much for the filly.

I leave an equimin block in with my mares and foals at all times. Sometimes they ignore them for weeks, other times they eat one in a matter of days. I used to use a Himalayan block but found that gave the foal diarrhea. I have to admit my first thought was ulcers though.

It sounds like she is exploring her environment. Everything goes in the mouth at that age, she just has limited options given the time of year.
    Mom's tail may be next!!

You can buy salt blocks that have selenium in them. Try that.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse