The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best boots for turn out post-ligament tear

Do you think it would be a good idea to put boots on for turn-out after a ligament injury?

My mare tore her right front check ligament pretty badly right before Labor Day last year. She is still currently on stall rest, but her third ultrasound is next week and (fingers crossed) I hope she'll be cleared to start limited turn out. Before her injury, she was turned out in those Dover soft fleece boots (like these ones: http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-p...uyyo45owde0c31) because she also has a splint that I wanted to protect. However, I'm wondering now if those boots are enough/the best option? When her injury happened, the swelling was so pronounced that it looked like she had bowed a tendon. Her leg has reduced significantly, but I think she will always have residual thickness at the site.

Of course I'm going to speak to my vet at the appointment, but I'm interested in hearing what other folks have done. Many thanks for all suggestions.

To keep her from banging into herself, sure, why not? I actually sometimes turn my horse out in those exact boots. But if you are thinking you'll offer her support or anything like that, no, that won't happen.

I really prefer NOT to turn out in boots because they can heat up the legs, slip, slide, twist and otherwise do more harm than good, and, for sensitive skinned horses, can cause the legs to get gross and scurfy. While I do occasionally throw my horse out in boots (he can be VERY wild leading out, so it is more to keep him from bashing into himself on the long walk to his field) I avoid it as much as I can.

Nope, not worth it unless you think the horse will bang herself up. In which case use whatever boots you like. But ain't nothing you can strap on a leg that's going to make any difference to any ligament. I don't like putting boots on horses for turnout unless they're goofy idiots who are only going out for an hour or something.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't think any boots will support the ligament, but I'm okay with turnout boots for protection. My thoroughbred is rather suicidal when he rolls, and has tons of previous scars from slicing the insides of his cannon bones open when flopping around on the ground.

I really like sport boots, especially these:
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/euro-pr...ots/p/X1-0427/

dover and smartpak make knock-offs of these.
    Last edited by reay6790; Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

If she truly needs the boots to protect herself against knocks, etc... then go with the fleece boots like the ones in your link above. Nothing that will heat up the leg (like neoprene).

Otherwise.... leave her nekkid Nothing will provide any support to any ligament/tendon despite what the boot manufacturers want you to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Nottingham View Post
    Do you think it would be a good idea to put boots on for turn-out after a ligament injury?
    It depends. Does protecting the hoof with a boot take precedence over reducing ground force leverage on the limb?

A boot makes the phalangeal lever longer and the footprint larger, therefore, a boot can only INCREASE GRF AXIAL AND ANTERIOR LEVERAGE. For an inferior check ligament, this would be a bad thing. For a superior check ligament, it would help transfer some of the strain off of the superficial flexor and on to the deep flexor. Dig?

My mare tore her right front check ligament pretty badly right before Labor Day last year.
    There are two (2) check ligaments in the forelimb. Which one did she tear? It makes a difference in regards to the mechanics. Your vet should understand this and your farrier should know how to accommodate it with appropriate orthotics.

Tom, can you post a link to research or reference for the statement you made?

"A boot makes the phalangeal lever longer and the footprint larger, therefore, a boot can only INCREASE GRF AXIAL AND ANTERIOR LEVERAGE. For an inferior check ligament, this would be a bad thing. For a superior check ligament, it would help transfer some of the strain off of the superficial flexor and on to the deep flexor. Dig?"

Thanks
    Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Really Tom? A simple splint boot will make a horses P1 or P2 bone temporarily longer and make their hoof leave a bigger impression in the ground?

Wait....are we talking about hoof boots or splint boots that go on the cannon area?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon13 View Post
    Wait....are we talking about hoof boots or splint boots that go on the cannon area?
    My bad. I was thinking hoof boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    My bad. I was thinking hoof boot.
    Oh, ok! I'm with you now

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    Oh, ok! I'm with you now
    Well then pass me a towel, 'cause I'm all wet.

Quote Originally Posted by mzm farm View Post
    Tom, can you post a link to research or reference for the statement you made?
    As it applies to what I said of "Hoof" boots . . .
    http://www.horseshoes.com/farrierssites/sites/rooney/basicmechanics1/basicmechanics1.htm

I agree with those who say the most you'll get is protection from bumps and interference-- but I think Woof boots are hands down the best for turnout. Very adjustable, durable, hard to put on "wrong," don't get wet and waterlogged. Cheap enough not to worry about if they get filthy. Machine washable.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have always believe that a few inches of elastic and neoprene weren't going to do anything to support soft tissue structures. I use boots to prevent interference/cuts/etc. I am interested, though, in the claims made by Professionals' Choice with their VenTECH boots - "proven to absorb over 26% of energy from hoof impact." http://profchoice.com/i-7259737-vent...ine-boots.html

I have no idea what exactly they mean by that statement and I haven't found the study proving that claim. Does anyone know anything more about these boots?