The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kat. View Post
    I don't know what their shipping is like but Tackoftheday has awesome deals if you wait for them (I got $300 pikeur's for $80) so I would look there if I were you. I think everyone else has the actual choices covered though
    Tack of the day sadly does not ship to Canada. However, www.tackdealz.com is a similar site based in Ontario that I have also gotten some fantastic stuff off of.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    A black coat, dress boots, and brown gloves would be very unusual in the hunter or equitation rings.
    Not entirely true... Black coats are very trendy (especially with a subtle windowpane or pattern) and dress boots are becoming quite popular too. Most of the newest custom boots are going sans-laces now.

To the OP: I'd get new boots, first and foremost. Honestly, cheap-looking boots (gapping, stiff leather, baggy ankle, etc.) can ruin an otherwise put-together appearance.

1 members found this post helpful.

Victory Canter ships to Canada for cheap.

For breeches, I love FITS, but the Elation Platinum ones from Greenhawk are pretty nice, and hold up well. Also, they don't seem to stain easily, which is a plus!

I have one of these shirts, and it's pretty nice for the price.
    http://www.victorycanter.com/product...cat=309&page=2

For boots, these ones are basically indestructible. I've had mine for 7 years, and for the first 4-5 rode in them every ride. They still clean up nice enough to show in. The only thing is you will need to replace the zippers on them, they come with terrible ones, but it's not very expensive.
    http://www.applesaddlery.com/p-1320-...eld-boots.aspx

I have these breeches, as do a couple of girls at my barn, and we've all been pretty happy with them.
    http://www.applesaddlery.com/p-15791...rl-breech.aspx

I would be very choosy about the breeches. People have given you excellent advice r.e. jackets and shirts, but IMO, far more important than the brand of the breech is the style and fit. You should try on various brands and decide whether you like low-rise, mid-rise, or regular rise. All are acceptable, but the fit is quite different. (As an older rider, I really favor mid-or regular! The trend is toward the euro-seat style (this is a seam that runs up the back of the legs and curves around the top of the rear end), but don't let anyone talk you into paying more for it. It makes no difference when riding IMO, and the judge absolutely will not notice. I have served as an announcer at many shows (not, admittedly, A shows), and not once has a judge commented about what anyone was wearing. As others have said, as long as your clothing is conservative, you will be absolutely fine.

You can get a very nice pair of good quality show breeches for $100 or less; you just have to shop around.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Not entirely true... Black coats are very trendy (especially with a subtle windowpane or pattern) and dress boots are becoming quite popular too. Most of the newest custom boots are going sans-laces now.

To the OP: I'd get new boots, first and foremost. Honestly, cheap-looking boots (gapping, stiff leather, baggy ankle, etc.) can ruin an otherwise put-together appearance.
    I was going from a classic look perspective like the OP was looking for, but you are right, black coats are "in." I haven't seen many dress boots in the hunters but I've definitely noticed them in jumpers. I can't decide if I like the look or not; I think it really depends on who's wearing them.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Pollie View Post
    Not to hijack, but how do those coats run for size?
    I only wear Horze and Éce nowadays, so I've never tried them but they look nice enough to be worth mentioning and come in navy maybe someone else can chime in on sizing??
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I was going from a classic look perspective like the OP was looking for, but you are right, black coats are "in." I haven't seen many dress boots in the hunters but I've definitely noticed them in jumpers. I can't decide if I like the look or not; I think it really depends on who's wearing them.
    I like the look of a well-tailored black coat on someone with good position but I think it can make a rider look rigid through the shoulders.

My favorite hunt coat pattern evarrrrr was one I saw about 5 years ago. Black with a very dark burgundy pinstripe. From a distance, you couldn't see the pin. Up close, it was gorgeous. My trainer said "Over my dead body," which, coincidentally, was the same thing she said when I brought up the beautiful French blue hacking jacket with the velvet collar I'd seen on eBay. Since it was tailored such that it would have been the perfect fit, I still regret not getting that, threats from trainer or no.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge
    Ditto, if the boots don't fit. (If they don't fit in spring, I would replace them; ill-fitting boots not only ruin the line of your leg but they also make it harder for you to maintain a solid position since you're fighting the leather.) These can also be had inexpensively either new or used if you fit in a stock size. I have a pair of Treadstones that ran me $200. Are they the same quality as my old semi-customs? No, but I think the zipper's a helluva lot tougher and probably won't break the morning of finals, either. (I'm totally over that, you can tell.) Dover's Middleburg line is also economical. I would stay away from Ariats, unless you buy someone's used 7-year-old pair; the quality is not what it used to be.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Speaking of navy soft shells, I think Asmar is currently having a sale on several models, and they're like $75 right now. OP, check that out and see if they've got your size... soft shells are very comfy
    Do you know where I can find which Asmar coats are on sale? I would love a black one!

As far as good quality, I would definitely recommend the TS Trophy breeches in the 73% cotton fabric if they fit you, or if not as someone mentioned before the FITS Beka breeches are awesome!

RJ for show shirts works great, but I would definitely look into getting something Coolmax down the line!

As mentioned previously, RJ Classics and Grand Prix make nice coats, the nice thing about RJ is there is a model for every price point! Another one to look into is the Ariat coats, there are quite a few on Ebay last I checked.

If there is a Greenhawk near you, definitely go try things on! And keep your eye out on websites for good sales, Greenhawk has had Essex shirts on sale for $40-60 quite a few times! Also a quick shout out to Shop Dapple Gray in Collingwood (you can find them on Facebook), she gets lots of cool new things in and is great to deal with, I ordered TS breeches from her and they got to SK in 2-3 days!

Quote Originally Posted by lifeishorsesarelove View Post
    I'm an odd combination of thin and curvy... I'm thin enough that I have hip bones, but I still have curves. I'm 5' 7".

I wear a size 7 or a 28/32 in jeans, a 30 Long in my cheap breeches (fit decent for schooling, it'd be nice if the show ones were nicer). My new shirt is a 36, the 34 was quite tight across the shoulders (uncomfortably so). Not sure what size jacket, I'd guess a 36 if the 36 shirt fit (taking into consideration different brands, blahblah).

I do have nice leather gloves, so I'll check those off too.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone I had no idea about white shirts in the eq ring!
    You sound like you are built exactly like me. I have Hulk Shoulders so I find I have to go up a few sizes more than charts tell me I need for coats. I wear 30 in some breeches, 28 in others. The Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunter breeches are pricy, but I have found they are the MOST flattering for my shape, maybe yours too. I only wear them at shows, so they will last for quite a while.

Also, sign up for Tack of the Day. I got an Essex coolmax shirt from them last year for around $35 or so if I recall correctly. They have some good deals sometimes. http://www.tackoftheday.com/

I got this coat for cheap - in a size 16 - and then paid money to get it taken in in the sleeves and mid-section. http://www.doversaddlery.com/ladies%...at/p/X1-40437/

I had to go up several sizes to get the shoulders to fit, so be prepared for that if you're built like it sounds like. if you don't have a lot of money to spend, go cheaper on the coat and get it altered to fit right.

*** darn- just saw aboutTack of the Day not shipping to Canada!
    Last edited by PaintedHunter; Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: saw posts above

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
    I have served as an announcer at many shows (not, admittedly, A shows), and not once has a judge commented about what anyone was wearing.
    The judges are not the ones who care so much about the clothes!

Unless someone comes in filthy dirty, and then the judge might wonder if the rider has already fallen off that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    French blue hacking jacket with the velvet collar
    I spent the formative years of my life doing APHA where the only colors on earth for jackets were solid navy and solid hunter green with white shirts. Then 4 years of IHSA where the coach only permitted white shirts with solid navy hunt coats.

Then I became an adult and got to do what I wanted. I rock the pastel/print shirts and light colored jackets and I don't give a fig what other people think is "in." Wearing my French Blue hunt coat (no velvet collar) with a white and blue striped shirt next weekend.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

The other place to check out for really *good* quality stuff in Canada is Equestrian Factory outlet. They carry the higher end brands (Pikeuer, Cavallo) and since they're ends of lines it can be hit or miss for size/colour, but they have some great deals sometimes.

I have a build like yours, and the Cavallo Derby or Derby Lo breeches are a perfect fit, and fairly indestructible.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by Denzel View Post
    Do you know where I can find which Asmar coats are on sale? I would love a black one!

As far as good quality, I would definitely recommend the TS Trophy breeches in the 73% cotton fabric if they fit you, or if not as someone mentioned before the FITS Beka breeches are awesome!

RJ for show shirts works great, but I would definitely look into getting something Coolmax down the line!

As mentioned previously, RJ Classics and Grand Prix make nice coats, the nice thing about RJ is there is a model for every price point! Another one to look into is the Ariat coats, there are quite a few on Ebay last I checked.

If there is a Greenhawk near you, definitely go try things on! And keep your eye out on websites for good sales, Greenhawk has had Essex shirts on sale for $40-60 quite a few times! Also a quick shout out to Shop Dapple Gray in Collingwood (you can find them on Facebook), she gets lots of cool new things in and is great to deal with, I ordered TS breeches from her and they got to SK in 2-3 days!
    http://asmarequestrian.com/asmarequestrian_en/sale.html

That's the sale page for Asmar.

Horze also makes several, but only one in navy and it's more of a jumper style.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Just like in hunting the following are never inappropriate:

Black hunt coat, lightweight poly/wool blend for summer use

Tan/khaki breeches

Black DRESS boots

Brown leather gloves

For men, while dress shirt and white tie. Windsor, half windsor, or four in hand knot.

Black leather belt

Plain black helmet.
    No hunter trainer I've ever had would let me go in to the show ring like that. Not sure I've seen anyone showing in brown gloves either. ( I know black is trendy now, but that's a more recent thing).

OP - Ebay is amazing for this type of stuff. Can you go to a local tack store and try things on to see what brand fits you best?

On Ebay I have always been able to find slightly used, higher end brands for great deals. Buying higher quality things also means they'll last longer.

If you do a search you'll see that there are TS breeches for $40 and Grand Prix jackets for $50.

Horze also makes several, but only one in navy and it's more of a jumper style.
    Do you have any ideas on the sizing for the Horze jackets? I'm looking at the Wiona but worried that the smallest size might be too big. Do you have one, and how do you like the fit?

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    No hunter trainer I've ever had would let me go in to the show ring like that.
    Maybe she's never hunted. The list I put up there is classic hunt turnout. It may not be the current trend, or even a past trend, but it is always correct.

Brown gloves are most definitely correct.

And as has been said here before, no judge is going to care that you are not wearing the latest fashion craze. If they do notice, they might appreciate someone dressing as a proper hunter.

Maybe she's never hunted. The list I put up there is classic hunt turnout. It may not be the current trend, or even a past trend, but it is always correct.

And as has been said here before, no judge is going to care that you are not wearing the latest fashion craze. If they do notice, they might appreciate someone dressing as a proper hunter.
    Generally though, hunt dress, and hunter/jumper dress isn't the same and hasn't really been the same since the late 1990s. Hunt dress really gave way to what is now considered modern hunter/jumper dress. Just like you don't see tweed coats often (or really ever) in a show ring, brown gloves are normally only seen on pony kids in a brown helmet, boots and garters. Navy jacket is the classic norm nowadays and I suspect it will be that way for a long time. Dress boots aren't really in unless they have a high spanish top and are very slim fitting like field boots. I've seen Dress boots in the hunters, but they're basically field boots without laces. Bad fitting boots will automatically make your turnout worse. It just puts together a sloppier look.

While correct is nice for the hunt field, this isn't the hunt field, it's the show ring. It may be technically correct, but conventionally, no.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

4 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I spent the formative years of my life doing APHA where the only colors on earth for jackets were solid navy and solid hunter green with white shirts. Then 4 years of IHSA where the coach only permitted white shirts with solid navy hunt coats.

Then I became an adult and got to do what I wanted. I rock the pastel/print shirts and light colored jackets and I don't give a fig what other people think is "in." Wearing my French Blue hunt coat (no velvet collar) with a white and blue striped shirt next weekend.
    I was a junior at that point, and knew that my trainer really would refuse to let me ride if I showed up in what she called "Honey, you don't even know it's embarrassing, but it's embarrassing" attire. Also as a junior, I owned a great French blue RJ with a blue striped lining. Gorgeous. Required therapy when Mom forcibly removed from my closet due to no longer fitting me. On the bright side, she did pay for the subsequent trip to Victoria's Secret.

If you're going to wear brown gloves, wear brown boots. Otherwise, correct or not, the show hunters (not fox hunters) will wonder whether or not you can see color. The judge won't care. But- the reason we wear dark gloves in the first place, as opposed to light-colored ones, is that they do a better job at camouflaging hand movement since they make the hand blend in with the arm. So if you break at the wrist like I do, it's less visible in black gloves than white crochet backs. So there you go, a practical reason to stick with black. (Unless you own brown boots. Then you're required by COTH tradition to share pictures.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Fox hunting and showing hunters no longer really have anything to do with each other anymore.

Thanks a ton everyone! My mom is going to take me to a couple local places to try things on, then I'm going to buy the things I need secondhand/online