The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Good, Classic Show Clothes

Somewhat of a spinoff from the "fashion" thread.

I'm looking to get more into showing this summer, with my own horse (leased, AA wins in his history) and I've been tentatively offered to show a couple sale ponies at my barn (because I'm a junior and can still show larges).

Thus, if I'm moving up from schooling shows to rated B and A shows, I need nicer clothes than my $5 jacket from Goodwill, short sleeve ratcatcher, and Elation breeches.

I'm looking for stuff that is sturdy and classic and isn't going to go out of style in a year and will last for several years.

Things I have:
    CO JR8
    Field Boots (Dublins. They used to fit spectacularly, but then I stopped cycling. Will fit better once spring comes, but are passable now. Similar to these: http://www.dublinclothing.co.uk/new-...eld-boots.html)
    Polos for more casual jumper classes
    I did get an RJ classics show shirt for Christmas. This one, in the baby blue colour (Blue is my lucky colour, regardless of the current trend for white.): http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?...ricSKU=DRC6140

So, show gurus, what else do I need, and what do you recommend? I don't have a huge budget. I plan to show both Hunters (primarily) and Jumpers (just for the heck of it, if we can break the 3'3"barrier of crazy idiots ripping around in my area. The nutballs mostly drop out between 3'-3'3"). My horse is kitted out entirely, so nothing I need there.
    I'm in Canada, as well, so anything SmartPak, etc. is out, too. I'm open to buying second hand.
    My aunt is a seamstress and is supposed to be making me a jacket, but if progress continues at the current rate, I might be waiting till I age out of Juniors for it. And her and my mother keep talking about things like velvet collars... gack.

A navy jacket will last until you wear it out. It will always be correct in any division at any show.

A pair of black gloves.

A clean pair of tan breeches that fit.

A conservative belt.

If you end up showing in hunter classics or jumper classics, you will need a white shirt.

All of these items will be useful until you wear them out. They will never go out of style.

As long as you wear clean clothes that fit, the brand won't matter to the judge.

4 members found this post helpful.

If you could suggest brands that are known for lasting well, I'd appreciate it! I'm terrified to put the money down on some things, not knowing if it will last or not.

I could care less about the labels themselves, though. I fail to see why I'm paying extra $$$ to be a billboard.

I like Grand Prix coats, which happen to be made in Canada, get a nice navy, not so dark it looks black or so light it looks french blue but navy

and yes a white shirt is always in and is classic

I also think the newer fabrics that have a little give to them and breath a little are just fine. As long as they have a traditional color and fit, nobody should care.

I'm not much of an eBay person, but many people swear by it for good deals.

Get yourself a nice navy jacket. RJ Classic makes nice ones in a variety of price ranges. Grand Prix are nice as well. You should be just fine with one coat.

Depending on how many days a show you might be showing, have enough shirts. You can re-use a jacket for multiple days, breeches too if you're careful to stay clean, but it's nice to have multiple shirts. Have at least one white one. After that, whatever you want as far as colors. Muted ones tend to stay in fashion a bit longer, and white is very fashionable these days. Essex, RJ Classics, and Tailored Sportsman are good brands.

One pair of conservative, tan breeches. Two pairs if you can swing it, just because if you're like me it's hard to keep them clean enough to wear the next day. Most breeches can be tossed in the wash these days so you don't have to mess with dry cleaners between shows if you're pressed for time.

Black gloves and a conservative black belt to finish off the look.

If you have a tack store that has consignment stuff, go and look to see what you can find. Shirts especially can often be had for cheap second hand.

2 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Hunt coats: RJ Classics, Grand Prix, Ariat

Ratcatchers: RJ Classics, Essex (go for Coolmax if you can find it!)

Breeches: I have not had good luck with Ariat. Tailored Sportsmans, if they fit you. You mentioned you cycle; I ran track and field for years and can't get the things over my calves. So they may or may not work out for you. I have FITS breeks and they're great.

All of the above can be found on eBay or in consignment shops for reasonable prices. If you do fit in TS breeches, second-hand ones are dime a dozen, at least in my area.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Just like in hunting the following are never inappropriate:

Black hunt coat, lightweight poly/wool blend for summer use

Tan/khaki breeches

Black DRESS boots

Brown leather gloves

For men, while dress shirt and white tie. Windsor, half windsor, or four in hand knot.

Black leather belt

Plain black helmet.

Ebay is your friend! Make sure they ship to Canada. You can find great deals on used items.

OP, what sizes do you wear, and what is your basic build (tall & skinny, average build, or on the sturdy side)?

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Just like in hunting the following are never inappropriate:

Black hunt coat, lightweight poly/wool blend for summer use

Tan/khaki breeches

Black DRESS boots

Brown leather gloves

For men, while dress shirt and white tie. Windsor, half windsor, or four in hand knot.

Black leather belt

Plain black helmet.
    A black coat, dress boots, and brown gloves would be very unusual in the hunter or equitation rings. OP, I would sugget a navy coat with light pinstiping, tan/khaki breeches, and white show shirts. eBay is definitely your friend for all of these! I'd go with a wool coat and cotton shirts, or a cotton/coolmax blend. If you want one "splurge" item, I'd go with a nice helmet with VENTS, like a CO Ayr8. The Gr8 is pretty but very, very hot to ride in!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

2 members found this post helpful.

For breeches I have a pair of ovations that I use for schooling that are only about 80 dollars and have lasted me FOREVER, and they look nice enough for shows.
    I suggest getting a white show shirt, you'll need it if you do equitation or any sort of classic. Equitation is ALWAYS white shirt.
    Navy jackets are good because they're appropriate in any class. RJ makes ones that last a while. If you have one thing you can splurge on, look for a machine-washable soft shell RJ coat. The plus is you can use it as your only coat because you can easily just throw it in the wash at the end a show and it'll be good to go in morning.
    Black Leather gloves are actually currently more appropriate than brown. I think there's something about brown only being good for weekdays.
    If you want to save some money on show shirts, look for the old style ones without a snap collar as they're often much less expensive.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    For breeches I have a pair of ovations that I use for schooling that are only about 80 dollars and have lasted me FOREVER, and they look nice enough for shows.
    I suggest getting a white show shirt, you'll need it if you do equitation or any sort of classic. Equitation is ALWAYS white shirt.
    Navy jackets are good because they're appropriate in any class. RJ makes ones that last a while. If you have one thing you can splurge on, look for a machine-washable soft shell RJ coat. The plus is you can use it as your only coat because you can easily just throw it in the wash at the end a show and it'll be good to go in morning.
    Black Leather gloves are actually currently more appropriate than brown. I think there's something about brown only being good for weekdays.
    If you want to save some money on show shirts, look for the old style ones without a snap collar as they're often much less expensive.
    Speaking of navy soft shells, I think Asmar is currently having a sale on several models, and they're like $75 right now. OP, check that out and see if they've got your size... soft shells are very comfy
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    OP, what sizes do you wear, and what is your basic build (tall & skinny, average build, or on the sturdy side)?
    I'm an odd combination of thin and curvy... I'm thin enough that I have hip bones, but I still have curves. I'm 5' 7".

I wear a size 7 or a 28/32 in jeans, a 30 Long in my cheap breeches (fit decent for schooling, it'd be nice if the show ones were nicer). My new shirt is a 36, the 34 was quite tight across the shoulders (uncomfortably so). Not sure what size jacket, I'd guess a 36 if the 36 shirt fit (taking into consideration different brands, blahblah).

I do have nice leather gloves, so I'll check those off too.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone I had no idea about white shirts in the eq ring!

White shirts are required by the rules for hunter classics and jumper classics, at least under USEF rules. Many people wear white shirts for equitation, but it is not in the USEF rules. You may want to double check the Canadian rules before you start to shop.

Like many above posters have said, a navy coat, white shirt, tan breeches, black field boots, black gloves and a plain black leather belt will never go out of style. Go to a tack store and try on a bunch of brands/styles to find out how their sizing runs, what you like, what colors look like in person (and not on a computer screen), etc. Then shop online.

For coats, I have had luck with RJ Classics and Stable Cloth. I picked both of mine up used, the RJ from ebay for a steal and the Stable Cloth from a friend (so ask around, someone else may have outgrown their coat).

Shirts go under my coat, so I have a problem with spending a lot of money on shirts. Check out the closeouts on websites you know ship to Canada. Measure for your size, and grab whatever is white, cheap (less than $100) and fits. I'd recommend the Stable Cloth closeouts, (http://www.stablecloth.com/Show_Priv...tion_Sale.aspx)
    they are really nice shirts. If you think you ever might be at a show where they waive coats, be sure the white shirt is thick/opaque enough that you won't look like you are at a wet t-shirt contest. If you show in a relatively cool area, don't worry about it, thinner is more comfortable under a coat anyway.

Definitely look for used stuff. Ebay is my best friend. Also look at UK sites, as many of them ship internationally. Amira Equi is a company I've dealt with before, love them, but I know people who use various UK companies. Definitely the place to get Pikeurs, which are great breeches that last. They are about half the price they are in the States at Amira Equi, and their shipping is less than Dover's. They have great deals on other clothing brands, too.

Other brands I'd recommend are Ariat and Ovation (breeches), SSG and Roekel (gloves), Romph (shirts and breeches), LL Bean (socks- I kid you not, I'm in love with their cotton knee socks that come in 3 packs), and if you can swing it, the Dehner off-the-rack boots are fab. So comfy, and if you take care of them right, they will last forever (mine are 18 years old and going strong).

Talk to your trainer, she might be sponsored by a clothing company, and if that is the case, she might be able to get you a discount (if I wear my barn jacket when I shop at the vendors at shows, I get discounts nearly everywhere).

I have not had luck with any sort of thinnish, cotton breech lasting for more than a year (but I am a working student in the summer so I am hard on breeches) and that includes nearly all the TS breeches and the cheaper, cotton Ariats. YMMV. I personally won't buy them anymore.

Happy shopping, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lifeishorsesarelove View Post
    I'm an odd combination of thin and curvy... I'm thin enough that I have hip bones, but I still have curves. I'm 5' 7".

I wear a size 7 or a 28/32 in jeans, a 30 Long in my cheap breeches (fit decent for schooling, it'd be nice if the show ones were nicer). My new shirt is a 36, the 34 was quite tight across the shoulders (uncomfortably so). Not sure what size jacket, I'd guess a 36 if the 36 shirt fit (taking into consideration different brands, blahblah).

I do have nice leather gloves, so I'll check those off too.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone I had no idea about white shirts in the eq ring!
    Do you have a Greenhawk within driving distance? All of the Greenhawks I have been to have a good selection of affordable show clothes in stock. Being Canadian, horrendously expensive shipping sometimes means that cheap deals on eBay are actually no less expensive than buying local, and if you buy local you get to try it on. The most important think is that your clothes fit you really well, not the price or the brand.

Do you mind me asking what province you are in? In some parts of Canada (especially on smaller circuits) a light blue shirt would be okay for most if not all equitation classes and classics.

I would say your "must haves" are: A navy show jacket, a white show shirt (if you want two shirts), black gloves, black or brown leather belt, beige breeches, black field or dress boots and a black helmet. It's completely alright to show in jumpers in your show clothes/just your show shirt, but a couple polos are always handy as well. On a modest budget I would go for:

Jacket: http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?...ricSKU=DRC6144 OR http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?...cSKU=DRC1468K6
    Shirt:http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?...ricSKU=DRC6167
    Breeches: Anything the right shade of beige. I would stay away from the low end elation breeches because they are pretty easy to spot as "not quite right" but the higher end ones, Ariat breeches and Grand Prix breeches can all be affordable, last pretty well and won't stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    A navy jacket will last until you wear it out. It will always be correct in any division at any show.

A pair of black gloves.

A clean pair of tan breeches that fit.

A conservative belt.

If you end up showing in hunter classics or jumper classics, you will need a white shirt.

All of these items will be useful until you wear them out. They will never go out of style.

As long as you wear clean clothes that fit, the brand won't matter to the judge.
    This is exactly right. They key with hunt coats is to get them well tailored. They don't have to be expensive to look like a million bucks and a tailor is a lot less than buying a new off the rack trendy trendy coat.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    Speaking of navy soft shells, I think Asmar is currently having a sale on several models, and they're like $75 right now. OP, check that out and see if they've got your size... soft shells are very comfy
    Not to hijack, but how do those coats run for size?

I don't know what their shipping is like but Tackoftheday has awesome deals if you wait for them (I got $300 pikeur's for $80) so I would look there if I were you. I think everyone else has the actual choices covered though