The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default GPA helmet liner breaking down

I have a GPA Titium that I've had since 2002. According to the posts in this thread, it should be replaced due to its age, but it's never suffered a hard blow and overall it seems sound. It has mostly been kept indoors, in a climate-controlled environment. I just pulled it out after a few years' break from riding and encountered a new phenomenon: black "dandruff" all over my head when I take the helmet off. The thin foam pads and the fabric lining over them that are glued to the metal meshwork inside seem to be disintegrating. I was planning to keep this helmet until a compromising fall necessitated its replacement, so does anyone have any suggestions for relining it?

Stop being a fool and buy a new helmet. The protective foam breaks down over time (becomes more friable) not just by impact but also through interactions with sweat, sunlight, oxygen in the air, humidity, etc.

This is not just in GPAs but in all helmets, including motorcycle. Time is what degrades the polymers. Hence why you need to replace the helmet even after 5 years with no hits.

Funnily enough the same thing happened to me recently - started getting nasty black crumbly stuff on my forehead. Good hint to run out to buy a new helmet and obviously I've had that hat longer than the advised five years. Time flies - they should have a place in the helmet where you can write the date the thing was purchased.

I quite like the new one - purchased after discussing said item with COTHers!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    they should have a place in the helmet where you can write the date the thing was purchased.
    Every helmet I have owned has been stamped somewhere inside with the date of manufacture.

But it might have sat in a store for two years before purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    But it might have sat in a store for two years before purchase.
    In which case you need to replace it after you have owned it for 3 years.

OP you should have replaced that helmet twice over by now. Do you really want to test out your theory that it "seems sound" by suffering a major blow to the head?

New helmets can be had on clearance for around $20, and regular priced at $40. I know that to your loved ones your brain is worth $40. Just buy a new one.

Most helmet manufacturers will consider a helmet compromised if one modifies it in any way (such as attempting to re-line the helmet, modifying the harness, removing or re-gluing the shell, etc) And besides that, the only way to be 100% sure of the helmet's integrity is to saw it in half and check the inner foam-or send it through a CT scan/MRI although that is questionable at best and significantly costly.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

And don't forget, if you do have a fall, most helmet manufacturers will replace it for a very discounted price.

the helmet is 10 years old and disintegrating....get a new one already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Definitely buy a new helmet!!! Combine the age with the recent disintegration, it's not even a question.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

Well, I finally did find a new helmet. I tried on MANY and ended up getting a Charles Owen J3 Jockey Skull cap. It's okay, but doesn't fit anywhere like as well as my old GPA. I tried on the new Titium and other new GPAs but they have changed the shape from round to oval and they don't fit me at all.

My main reason for keeping the old GPA Titium for so long was that it fit me like a glove. It was the one helmet I've ever had that I could forget I had on and that never made my head sore. The Charles Owen J3 gives me a fierce headache after about an hour of wear. It presses hard on the sides of my head. I am sad, but it was the best I could find