The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Woohoo- We've gotten ourselves a trailer! Question....

I swear you'd think I just won the lottery and not dropped a good bit of cash on something my horse will poop in. I am SO excited I can't stand myself. So this beauty of a trailer is used but it looks like a horse has never been inside. Spotless, perfect condition.

The only down side, no tack area. I can put it in my truck, that's fine by me. I just wondered if anyone had other creative storage ideas for these types of trailers.

We go in on Friday for installing the weight distributing hitch. Who knew that my poor Jeep Liberty had to have one to actually tow at the full rated 5000 lbs. Fear not COTHers, we only travel locally, I know this isn't the ideal rig to tow but I digress. I thought I'd ask for ideas in case anything could be added to the trailer. They are awesome and I was highly impressed so I would have no problem spending the extra $$ on ad ons that would make any sort of storage easier.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

1 members found this post helpful.

You haven't told us what kind of trailer it is.

I'm guessing a small 2-horse trailer. Is it a straight load? Does it have chest bars? (Guessing no mangers -- that would mean storage underneath.) Or a slant load?
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

See? So excited I neglected the most important info! Yes, it is a 2 horse straight load with a ramp. I can't say I'd call it small as it is pretty tall and roomy. But that might be the norm now? I don't know. I was used to a realllllly small 2 horse when I hauled with my in-law's trailer. It has chest bars and no mangers. Two escape doors, lots of room to walkabout in the front area.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

What are your plans for it? Are you trailering out to shows with stabling? Showing and working out of your trailer? Trail riding?

Pictures would help. Not sure if there's a window in the front of the trailer you wouldn't want to cover up, or...

But, the first thing that comes to mind is Rubbermaid trunks: http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-119.../dp/B000CFV0DO

Given the towing vehicle, I'd want to avoid loading the nose of the trailer with extra weight -- put it in the truck, and move it back to the trailer on arrival.

If it's steel you can do lots of interesting things with strong magnets -- I have a magnetic towel bar on my dressing room door that serves as a curtain rod, and a 'screen door' that's also attached with magnets.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Well, traveling locally doesn't relieve you of anything -- nearly all of Michael Pollard's horses were killed in an accident 1/2 mile from their farm in an enormous rig. The Jeep Liberty is very small and short, PLEASE be very very very very careful if you insist on towing a trailer with it. I know it's exciting to be mobile, but the price can be steep indeed. I'm sorry that I'm the meanie, but I've seen the consequences.

That said, with such a small tow vehicle, I would not add ANY more weight to the trailer itself. Carry what you need in the vehicle, you can put a plastic trunk in the back. Hopefully, your horse is small, and NEVER tow without the weight distributing hitch (which I hope has a sway bar as well -- if not, get one).

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Well, traveling locally doesn't relieve you of anything -- nearly all of Michael Pollard's horses were killed in an accident 1/2 mile from their farm in an enormous rig. The Jeep Liberty is very small and short, PLEASE be very very very very careful if you insist on towing a trailer with it. I know it's exciting to be mobile, but the price can be steep indeed. I'm sorry that I'm the meanie, but I've seen the consequences.

That said, with such a small tow vehicle, I would not add ANY more weight to the trailer itself. Carry what you need in the vehicle, you can put a plastic trunk in the back. Hopefully, your horse is small, and NEVER tow without the weight distributing hitch (which I hope has a sway bar as well -- if not, get one).

This.

Now that you have the trailer (and I KNOW it's exciting ) methinks that the first time you haul up the very first hill, your wee Jeep Liberty is gonna complain a little. :/

Truly truly, I don't want to squash your enthusiasm, but just desire that you think Safety and economically.... t'would be awful to see a post from you of the transmission croaking or, God forbid, your trailer overturning from wind/big rig blowing you off the road, all because that cute Liberty couldn't stabilize the load.

The first time I pulled our gooseneck with our F-250, the lightbulb went off and I said to myself, "Ohhhhhhh kay. THIS is why those wise COTHers said have the right truck for your trailer."
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

9 members found this post helpful.

What chocomare said...
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

I agree that you'll want to minimize the weight in your trailer, but for the muck bucket and fork that you won't want to put in your car -- I've seen people do amazing things with bungie cords. Does your trailer have a little triangular part in front for storing things like that? What about a mini-fork, and a short broom-and-dustpan that flips up flat to store against a wall? you could mount something to hold them in place so they don't become chew toys or flying objects while the horses are in there.

We have a very old Rice trailer with no dressing room, and we store an amazing amount of stuff in the front. Started with a rubbermaid type box to hold leg wraps, rain sheet, wool cooler, boot jack, that sort of thing. Then our muck bucket goes on top. In the muck bucket - two feed tubs, four water buckets, a fill bucket, wash bucket with coil hose, sponges, scrapers, shampoo, conditioner, liniment. On top of the buckets we carry an upside down rubber feed pan to keep the rain out. (Our trailer leaks.) On one side of this mountain we've got the shovel, broom and muck forks. Also a bucket with first aid supplies - including banamine, wonder dust, triple antibiotic ointment, thermometer, etc. On the other side is a milk crate to hold the trailer stuff - chocks, lug wrench (you want to make sure you have one to fit your trailer lug nuts) jack, boards for under the jack. We hung one of those portable bridle racks to hold the lead ropes, spare halters, chain shank and longe line. Everything is bungied. Our trailer has an internal frame to attach the bungies to, if yours doesn't you could add some tie-down dees. Tying everything down is essential if you don't want it to end up under your horse's feet. In a larger two horse I've also carried bales of hay and bags of shavings in front. With ours we have to put that stuff in the Suburban.

Minimize what you'll bring...no extras!

Wow...I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty and cannot even fathom pulling a horse trailer with it. That is why I also have a truck

Default Congratulations ! ENJOY !

Congratulations !! ENJOY !!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Now that you have the trailer (and I KNOW it's exciting ) methinks that the first time you haul up the very first hill, your wee Jeep Liberty is gonna complain a little. :/

Truly truly, I don't want to squash your enthusiasm, but just desire that you think Safety and economically.... t'would be awful to see a post from you of the transmission croaking or, God forbid, your trailer overturning from wind/big rig blowing you off the road, all because that cute Liberty couldn't stabilize the load.

The first time I pulled our gooseneck with our F-250, the lightbulb went off and I said to myself, "Ohhhhhhh kay. THIS is why those wise COTHers said have the right truck for your trailer."
    I was not going to post, even after 3 years still painful memories.
    I pulled an aluminum 2H BP equipped with a WD hitch & anti-sway bars with a full-size Ford Explorer - Vortec 6 engine - for sixteen years without incident.
    Then I took a short - 2h - trip with both my horses on a windy day.
    One hour into the drive, passing a semi, the suction from the truck somehow disrupted my hitch. I lost control of truck & trailer, trailer rolled depositing my horses on the road.
    One died immediately, the other had to be dispatched by a State Trooper.
    I walked away without a scratch, but do not, to this day, consider myself lucky.
    Please reconsider using the Jeep Liberty to pull your trailer.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

8 members found this post helpful.

Congrats on your new trailer- But PLEASE do not haul your horses with a Jeep Liberty!!! You are just begging for something to go wrong.
    The average weight for Jeep Liberty is 4076 pounds.
    For an example I looked up the average weight of a Featherlite 2H BP- 2500 pounds. Add two horses at 1000 pounds each and the weight you are hauling is more than the weight of your teeny tiny not designed to haul vehicle One good wind gust or passing semi or someone pulling out in front you and you and your horses are toast!
    Sorry if this seems harsh, but you, your horses and whoever else is on the road with you is NOT safe in this set up
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

2 members found this post helpful.

I remember exactly how I felt when I finally got my own horse trailer. The feeling was exactly like the feeling I got when I got my first car. I now have the freedom to go to all the events and trailrides I want without begging for a ride from someone else. Congratulations. The Jeep Liberty will be fine for towing right up until it ISN'T. Please reconsider, the jeep just hasn't got enough umph to keep your trailer where it belongs....upright and on the road.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

3 members found this post helpful.

I can only imagine your excitement upon having a new-to-you (and sounds like practically new!) trailer, but ditto others re: caution with your tow vehicle. By "local travel," can you avoid hills and highways? That's the kind of setup which absolutely terrifies me to see on the highway, for exactly the reason 2DF cited. (2DF, my heart goes out to you!)

Do keep an eye open on CL; you'd be surprsed at the deals you can find on used trucks. We were able to get a 1994 Chevy 2500, 2WD V8, with all the towing bells and whistles, for $2600... It is exclusively my barn truck, NOT a daily driver (lord knows, with the MPG it gets, I could never afford to commute with it!), but when I'm finally able to afford a trailer, I'm confident it'll have enough muscle to safely pull any 2H I end up with.

Think of it this way-- if you start towing regularly with your Jeep, you're probably going to incur added maintenance/repair fees on it from the added wear and tear... might as well offset those costs into buying a cheapie (but appropriate) tow vehicle instead.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

2 members found this post helpful.

Echoing everyone else. Please PLEASE don't haul with a Liberty. The trailer is probably longer than the vehicle. 2Dogs, thank you for sharing and my heart again goes out to you for your loss.

OP your vehicle isn't safe. If you are willing to risk the safety of yourself and your horses, please think about the others on the road when you can't safely stop, have trouble staying in your own lane if there is even a breeze (with my TINY trailer and f150 I could feel breezes and hated it) or roll your trailer. You don't want to do this. Just because you can put a hitch on it doesn't mean you should.

And just because it says it can haul "xxxx" on paper doesnt mean it REALLY can or that it can stop it.

I have been in a few scary situtations with my 3/4 ton and simple 2 horse trailer with no dressing room...and very thanlful for the size of truck I had.

Please re-think your tow vehicle. There is a reason for big trucks...or even well equipped 1/2ton trucks...
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

The thought of a Jeep Liberty towing a horse trailer is making me cringe.

Just. Don't. Do. It.

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Another, please don't do it!!!!!!!!

Twodogsfarm, again, so sorry, remember when it happened but not what happened. Kudos for posting!