The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

In light of the many recent changes...

I no longer have any desire to visit Rolex, nor do I any longer dream of riding there. Sad day, but a pretty good indicator of the way the eventing world has started going over the last few years. All these changes under the guise of making the sport better are only making it worse.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

4 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    In light of the many recent changes...

I no longer have any desire to visit Rolex, nor do I any longer dream of riding there. Sad day, but a pretty good indicator of the way the eventing world has started going over the last few years. All these changes under the guise of making the sport better are only making it worse.
    In some ways I have to agree. In others, not so much. I don't think some of the changes are making the sport worse... I think it's making it a whole different sport. I want my sport to stay, at its core, the sport it is/was/that I love. And I don't think many of the upper level events are doing that (whether by management or by directive)
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    In some ways I have to agree. In others, not so much. I don't think some of the changes are making the sport worse... I think it's making it a whole different sport. I want my sport to stay, at its core, the sport it is/was/that I love. And I don't think many of the upper level events are doing that (whether by management or by directive)
    My apologies - by "worse", I just meant "different in ways I don't approve of". Not to be a whiner, but that starry-eyed kid inside me that always dreamed of doing a long format (a serious one, not the "novelty division" it's offered as these days) and going to Rolex someday is dead. I don't always agree with Denny, but what we have now is just the abused, bastard child of what was once a great thing.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

5 members found this post helpful.

I still love Rolex. But I did write an email and got an answer:
    Thank you for your email. There is no question that Nigel is a wonderful announcer and we are very appreciative of what he has provided our event over the years. The decision to change was not taken without a great deal of consideration, contemplation, and discussion. However, I am very confident that Mike Tucker, the new announcer, will be able help continue to grow our event.

Kentucky without Nigel is like yin without yang. I started attending this event at the 1980 Olympic Selection Trials while it was still a modified horse trials. I remember thinking that someday I wanted to hear Nigel announce one of my rides. I checked that off my bucket list back in the late 80's when he announced a horse trials at St. James Farm in Illinois. But whenever I named a horse, it was Nigel's voice I would hear to see if it sounded right!

I think to accuse the O'Connors shows a great lack of judgement at best. I have been announced by Brian as well and he is fully capable. HOWEVER, I think to remove Nigel from the announcer's chair is a HUGE mistake. The woman who announces is pleasant, but to me, boring. Wish we could mount a campaign to get him back!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    The decision to change was not taken without a great deal of consideration, contemplation, and discussion.
    Apparently, these discussions didn't include Nigel. Something about the way this was handled is lacking in class. There's no need for shoddy treatment after 35 years of service.

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    However, I am very confident that Mike Tucker, the new announcer, will be able help continue to grow our event.
    Um, what's this about? How is Mike Tucker going to 'help continue to grow' Rolex via his announcing?

Does Mike Tucker have a deal with some entity, broadcasting or otherwise, that would give Rolex greater exposure or attract new sponsorship?

I'm sorry to see Nigel go, on the otherhand I think some of the heat directed toward the board is a bit unwarrented.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Apparently, these discussions didn't include Nigel. Something about the way this was handled is lacking in class. There's no need for shoddy treatment after 35 years of service.
    Normally when an organization decides not to rehire an independent contractor it doesn't necessarily proceed with discussions the contractor is expected to be involved in. Maybe the ones with class here is the Rolex board who aren't publicly airing their grievances with Nigel? I think it would be safe to assume they believe they have reasons and I would bet those reasons--justified or not--are not flattering.

I bet Michael Tucker will know where to get his hands on a recording of the GB national anthem...

1 members found this post helpful.

A lot of tacky comments from many folks on this issue.

IMO - This is just one more case of an organization deciding to clean out the old and bring in the new. Often the organization has nothing against the "old" except they have been there for a long time. Of course the incoming "new" know how to make everything better and so want to have their own people.
    Sometimes this works well. . . however, far too often it ends poorly.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

To me Nigel was a little breath of England in Kentucky. Moving from the west to Lexington, and FINALLY getting to see Rolex in person, his voice (that I had heard on videotape so many years) was the icing on the cake.
    I had already thought how sad it would be when he retired, how it would just not be the same. It absolutely never occurred to me that they would dump him.
    Way to go EE.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

This is exactly what i mean by "p*ssing on fence posts."

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    A lot of tacky comments from many folks on this issue.

IMO - This is just one more case of an organization deciding to clean out the old and bring in the new. Often the organization has nothing against the "old" except they have been there for a long time. Of course the incoming "new" know how to make everything better and so want to have their own people.
    Sometimes this works well. . . however, far too often it ends poorly.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Um, what's this about? How is Mike Tucker going to 'help continue to grow' Rolex via his announcing?
    Par for the course for most businesses/corporations in the US.

When I posted that, I was aiming at a neutral position. I supposed I should have said 'There's no need for shoddy treatment on either side after 35 years of service.'

Even if this is SOP for businesses and contractors, the world of Rolex Kentucky is a small one. There are no strangers there. Hence the Chronicle article, which is a disappointing read to any Rolex fan.

The Chronicle article, if accurate, pointed to some unhappiness and grievances within this small community. I'd like to think there were a number of ways in which this could have been avoided to make a smoother transition. Hurt feelings are just that, but are they really necessary?

I am still wondering how it is that Mike Tucker (who, BTW, I very much enjoy) is seen by the organizers as a way to 'grow' Rolex. I thought it was a curious phrasing.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

How is it tacky to point out that yet another aspect of Rolex has become an O'Connor fief/moneymaker? Do we know if the bidding for the sound system came before or after Nigel was not rehired (I was going to say "canned" but that would be tacky) and whether it was an advertised and open process? EEI is a private entity, so one suspects it doesn't have to follow state rules even though KHP is state property. If (say) four entities with experience and hardware were invited to bid, and Brian's was the cheapest and best then all is good business. But there are set up situations in similar circumstances and we all know it.

I listened to Mike Tucker as BBC announcer for the Olympics and, IMO, he babbled. Perhaps Rolex is hoping that something comes of his BBC connections. Or that japanese event riders might come.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

vine, I was okay to say my piece and step back, but your comments (along with JER) percolated my ire back up. Why is the lowest bid the best business? Why is replacing one for another okay to help "grow" the business when there are no real numbers to prove out the ROI. I don't know Nigel (unless he was the announcer that worked a small show where I had my first start and fall)...but both from the comments here and from what I've read he was an icon of the Rolex experience. To dump an Icon that brings in business means either the potential for embarrassment for the business or a better personal deal for the executive management. You don't get rid of Paul Harvey, you don't get rid of Dr Schuller, you don't get rid of Dick Clark until they are either dead, willing to retire, or a liability; they not only define the image, but continue to bring in income.

I get where you are coming from, and really, we're not going to change a damn thing, but maybe its about time to speak in the only language executives understand, our dollars. I have no interest to support Rolex and will gladly take my money and support regional events where I can still watch the excitement and hopefully keep the foundation of eventing alive. And for the record, I am not against change, I understand that at times new ideas and new voices can be a positive effect, but nothing in this decision (publicly) indicates good business, just modern business as usual (ego and narcissism).

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    How is it tacky to point out that yet another aspect of Rolex has become an O'Connor fief/moneymaker?
    Brian started the headset commentary many years ago--before the new stadium, before the new ring, back when there were only a few dozen "members" under the old pavilions at the old ring. It was a concept that he was one of the pioneers of and he worked very hard, and took financial risk to make it successful. Being able to listen to Sally's commentary has been one of the highlights of mine and I'm sure others' Rolex experience for a long, long time.

What that means is that the event itself has profited and prospered from his success with very little output of its own. To turn around and act like this has suddenly become an O'Connor fief/moneymaker that he has somehow been magically or unfairly granted because of his last name is patently undeserved--not to mention flat out wrong. (And just when did it become some sort of black mark on someone's character to create an operation that *gasp* makes money?)

I hope to hell that they DIDN'T bid it out. When they were forced to use the KHP food vendor that the park put out to bid the food went to crap! Wouldn't that be great if the all the events at the KHP had to bid out all the services they used--NOT! If that were a requirement it would probably become completely impractical as a venue.

Personally, if they were going to get rid of Nigel, Brian would have been my number one choice to replace him--not just his equipment, but his voice too!

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    So.....Rolex now has no Nigel and no Rolex (well, at least through the "glorious" FEI). I stopped going when they started assigning seats in SJ and generally made me feel like a 2nd class citizen, around 2006. I think I prefer to remember "my" Rolex, not....whatever this is.

Oh and I agree that the criticism of Brian is completely unwarranted. I have worked with him on multiple occasions - he is a fantastic announcer, very organized, friendly, generous, entertaining, and is very very good at what he does. He has been involved with Rolex plenty of times in the past and he always works hard to do the job well.
    I'm with Wildfire, Brian is a super person. Rolex has not been the same for me since 2006. Last time I went was 2008. Nigel was THE voice of Rolex.
    I know he has announced Richland park here in Michigan, The first time I went there, I got goose bumps when I heard his voice! You are the best Nigel. Class all the way, much luck with all your endeavors.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Ah, Vineyridge, does it hurt carrying all those chips on your shoulder?

Mike Tucker is an excellent announcer. My question is why do we have to have a Brit announcer? Rolex is an American competition.
    Brian is an American and in my opinion is the best in the country.
    Additionally, Brian has served as cross country control for many years. If only for this, I think he deserved a shot.
    But these are only opinions. I'm sure Rolex will go on despite some people's disappointment.

6 members found this post helpful.

You are welcome to keep Mike Tucker - if he could preferably be left in USA and miss Badminton,I would for one be very, very happy!

The man drives me crazy with his inane drivel (yes I appreciate you have to fill airtime but please fill it with interesting stuff!) and his constantly getting things wrong.

Anyway here is a post sharing Mike Tucker Gaffs.
    http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...d.php?t=553422
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    Ah, Vineyridge, does it hurt carrying all those chips on your shoulder?