The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default The Don would be Proud

To Nigel,

A wonderful statement, indicates the class person you are. I never heard your voice (but for moments watching on a screen) but I do trust the folks that knew you well.

that said, the rest of your statements were quite PC and reminiscent of the corporate speak taught when good employees are let go. Let's be plain, you were fired. Did you quit? resign, retire? Did you make the decision or not for if not, then you were fired.

Given that, the executives that made that decision also made the decision for the next announcer before firing you and frankly, people like that do not make decisions quickly or in the dark. Maybe BOC was quite surprised (cough), maybe there is no, none, not a hint of the amazing timing of DOC becoming TEAM coach, FEI switching sponsors, and an Icon of Rolex getting dumped.

But I'm a self proclaimed cynic with no dog in the hunt. The best seat I got for Rolex is you tube/internet and if they take that away, the best seat I got is on my horse and the power brokers can stuff it.

I just love America where we casually dump decades of experience for no reason but this:

“As our event moves forward, we constantly make changes,”..."our board felt that it was time to make a change with our event announcer."

Where we take a voice that defined an Event and say...have a nice day

Where we say to the masses, "its just business, you understand...right?"

I'd take my money and walk away, but I never went. Instead I will even more support my local shows, keep training, growing, and riding in as many shows as I can. Rolex or what ever your going to be called in a couple of years...have a nice day.

(the sad thing, for all the superficial outrage, how many will softly say, "its so bad, but I mean, its Rolex, I have to support it or Eventing will crash and burn in the US...meh!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Casserley View Post
    The decision has been made and I have to respect the board's decision and will miss all of you at the event ....
    As we will miss you. Horses have come and gone, riders too, each having giving their best efforts because of this top stage being 'The Event' of all events. Yet you remained a constant. It won't be the same.

Your tone and tenor with the decision is that of a gentleman which we have great respect. The decision by organizers and their communication of such a decision is not of the same standing. For that such an outcome is even more of a disappointment.

13 members found this post helpful.

Mr Casserly,

I've only attended The Rolex twice but your voice is one of the most persistent aspects of my memories from there.

You will be missed and hard to replace.

Wishing you success in your future business endeavors.

Mr. Casserly,

Thank you for coming on COTH to respond to this thread. You will be sorely missed. You are a gentleman to the core. It seems that everyone is expendable. Thank you for all of your years of announcing. You are one of the greats.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

very sorry you are going, love your announcing Nigel!

And his mother provides the commentary for dressage and showjumping and is sometimes/often chief steward.
    Although Sally O'Connor will not be doing the dressage commentary this year:
    http://m.rk3de.org/news/betsyandjess...orshowjum.html

I too will miss Nigel and wish that the job had gone to an American Announcer, but we were not privvy to the process that made these decisions. Not that I think decision makers always get it right, but I'm always a bit thankful that they are dealing with it all and I just get to go and enjoy
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have been going to Rolex every year sionce 2004.. I love the voice of Rolex and it will not be the same with out it. The humor alone.. The wealth of knowledge because you were there...
    Sorry this decision was made. You will be missed. I wish you well and hope to hear your voice elsewhere.
    I wonder what they would think if enough people voiced their own opinions...
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    Although Sally O'Connor will not be doing the dressage commentary this year:
    http://m.rk3de.org/news/betsyandjess...orshowjum.html

I too will miss Nigel and wish that the job had gone to an American Announcer, but we were not privvy to the process that made these decisions. Not that I think decision makers always get it right, but I'm always a bit thankful that they are dealing with it all and I just get to go and enjoy
    The dates on that announcement are all 2010? Stating that the 2010 Rolex is the test event for the WEG etc. Maybe the whole place has gone batty.

i mirror everyone that said nigel is rolex. its just not the same anymore. i understand you have to grow with the times but i just think this is a horrible move. i too am going to send an email and a letter!

Nigel's voice will always be associated with Rolex, especially cross-country day. This news makes me very sad.

1 members found this post helpful.

For those who may have missed this article about Nigel from The Chronicle:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...igel-casserley

So glad Nigel isn't retiring and that other events (and races) in the country will have the pleasure of your announcing! Lucky them!!!
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

2 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

This will be my 15th year announcing at horse trials. I love it and have often joked that I wanted Nigel's job. I think he does a fabulous job and is someone I keep in my mind when I'm working. That said, I think the decision that was made isn't in the best interest of the event where 50,000 plus people visit. Will it work for the event in the long run? Guess we'll have to wait and see, but it's so terribly disappointing that it's definitely giving the event a black eye. It's going to take some time (or OUTSTANDING performances) before they recover in many eventers' eyes.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Nigel, I've been to a bunch of Rolexes now and your voice is as much an integral part of the event and my memories as the walk into the park on Friday morning, the smell of turf, the taste of Spaldings donuts, and the thrill of watching the first horse set off on XC. I can't think of Rolex without hearing your voice.

Even my non-horsey boyfriend and veteran of two trips to Kentucky will occasionally pull out a dead-on impression now and then, proclaiming something "accepted" (he likes the jog).

I'm sure the new announcer is wonderful, but I don't think it will be the same. Thanks for doing such a great job for so many years
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

How sad!!! We will miss you Nigel!

I will say, my friend and I were greatly dissapionted with Rolex last year...I mean, the event itself was nice, but the trade fair lacked the "WOW"!!! It has in prior years. We are skipping this year, more for that fact we are both in foal and having babies this spring...but we just left disapionted last year.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Really nice, Viney.

I am writing to Equestrian Events. My first time to Rolex 7 years ago I couldn't believe I was hearing The Voice in person, after so many years hearing it on video, PBS, etc.
    It's pretty unbelievable the recent changes. I'm caring less and less if I go and I live across town.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

This is Nigel. I would like to thank all of you for your kind remarks and support, but seriously want to stress that this is nothing to do with Brian and/or his abilities, it is a decision taken by Equestrian Events Inc. the organizing body for the Rolex Kentucky 3-day Event, so I ask you all please not to get into a "p...ing contest".

The decision has been made and I have to respect the board's decision and will miss all of you at the event - 36 years of service is a long time with lots of good memories. I would like to add that Brian is very good at what he does, I should know because I gave him his start in 1980 and he worked for me for 5 years. All the best to everybody.
    You are a class act, Nigel. I haven't been to Kentucky since 2010 - the year they informed Stone Advisory they'd opted for a new direction in event program publishing - but have been considering attending in 2013. I am skeptical, even more so, now. The circus that has evolved around the event seems to have taken center stage. I understand its appeal, because that's where the revenue is generated, but in the classic American-based capitalistic approach it appears the baby is being thrown out with the bath water.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

This is Nigel. I would like to thank all of you for your kind remarks and support, but seriously want to stress that this is nothing to do with Brian and/or his abilities, it is a decision taken by Equestrian Events Inc. the organizing body for the Rolex Kentucky 3-day Event, so I ask you all please not to get into a "p...ing contest".

The decision has been made and I have to respect the board's decision and will miss all of you at the event - 36 years of service is a long time with lots of good memories. I would like to add that Brian is very good at what he does, I should know because I gave him his start in 1980 and he worked for me for 5 years. All the best to everybody.
    Class Act as Always!

It won't be the same without you there Nigel. At least you are still at the Camden steeplechases .

Remember it is Griz-zell, not Griz-zle
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I forgot to say one very fine memory is the Bionic Pony!!!!!!!
    Can we copy this thread and send it to Equestrian events? I too was very disappointed in the trade fair last year. I remember years past better deals and more vendors... More food choices too.....
    I do not know if they would ever go back on a decision like that but I would hope they would at least be interested to hear what people thought....
    It is like listening to the Yankees without Phil Rizzuto... at least he left for obvious reasons...that were very acceptable. The people replacing him know they have a big job to do....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Just p*ssing on fence posts.

And more money goes into O'Connor pockets.

Janie and Mike E S both announced their retirements before WEG to take place after WEG. I certainly don't blame Alltech for that. Mike Tucker is the guy who did the BBC commentary for the Olympics and could not stop babbling. He's married to eventing dressage dragon, Angela Tucker. One speculates that she'll be on the ground jury this year.
    This is about as nasty as it gets Viney. Take a class lesson from Nigel's post.

4 members found this post helpful.

My favorite Nigel moment:

"Mary King is really putting the pressure on herself to win this thing . . . "

This AFTER she had already sealed 1st place on one horse and yet to ride her other horse that was standing 1st going into stadium. A record setting 1-2 finish.

Oh, Nigel, it will not be the same.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/